Trig identities (is my method correct?)

In summary, trigonometric identities are equations involving trigonometric functions that are used to simplify expressions and solve equations. To check if a method for solving trig identities is correct, one can plug in values for the variables or use a graphing calculator. Some commonly used identities include Pythagorean identities, cofunction identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. Tips for memorizing these identities include grouping similar ones together and practicing with different types of problems. Trig identities also have real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where they are used to model and solve problems involving angles and periodic functions.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

Prove the following identities

31c) sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x)=cosx

Homework Equations

sin2x+cos2x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea here is to prove the identity by making LS=RS

so here is what i have done, but I am not sure if it is the right way, since the book shows it went about it in a different way.
My method:

sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x)=cosx

1+sinx=cosx

now we use the pythagreon identity

sin2x+cos2x=1

If we move the cos to the right side, we are left with sinx=-cosx

and we use another identity

cos-x=cosx

therefore LS=RS and we have proved the identity? Book method:sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x)=cosx

LS=sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x) RS=cosx

=sin[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]cosx+cosx+cos[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]sinx

=(1)cosx+(0)sinx

=cosx

LS=RS therefore sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x)=cosx
Is my method correct? Also at the point where they do "=sin[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]cosx+cosx+cos[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]sinx" Are they still just dealing with LS only?

thanks!

Also if someone could please explain how the book got to the solution it did, what thought process does one have to use to get to the solution the way book did? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The algebra in your method is not quite right:

sin(pi/2 + x) =/= sin(pi/2) + sin(x) _________ (i.e. =/= 1 + sin(x) )

with sin(pi/2) = 1

the sine of the sum of two angles is:

sin(a + b) = sin(a)cos(b) + cos(a)sin(b)

supernova1203 said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following identities

31c) sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x)=cosx

Homework Equations

sin2x+cos2x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea here is to prove the identity by making LS=RS

so here is what i have done, but I am not sure if it is the right way, since the book shows it went about it in a different way.

My method:

1+sinx=cosx

now we use the pythagreon identity

sin2x+cos2x=1

If we move the cos to the right side, we are left with sinx=-cosx

and we use another identity

cos-x=cosx

therefore LS=RS and we have proved the identity?

Book method:

LS=sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x) RS=cosx

=sin[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]cosx+cosx+cos[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]sinx

=(1)cosx+(0)sinx

=cosx

LS=RS therefore sin([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]+x)=cosx

Is my method correct? Also at the point where they do "=sin[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]cosx+cosx+cos[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]sinx" Are they still just dealing with LS only?

thanks!

Also if someone could please explain how the book got to the solution it did, what thought process does one have to use to get to the solution the way book did? Thanks

The mistake is in this line :
1+sinx=cosx
From where you got this equation?

The book's method is not what you should be using, you should be using the CAST rule and the rule about http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/math/algtrig/ATT6/cofunctions.htm.

The most straightforward approach to this problem is to use the identity for the sine of a sum of angles: sin(A + B) = sinA*cosB + cosA*sinB. You don't have it listed in your relevant identities/equations, but should.

The mistake you made is thinking that sin(A + B) "distributes" over a sum to result in sinA + sinB. That is definitely NOT true.

kevinj888 said:
1+sinx=cosx

I was wondering the same thing.
Perhaps, you meant to write:
## 1 - sin^2(x) = cos^2(x) ##

Otherwise I am not sure.

Also,
## sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + sin(B)cos(A) ##

kevinj888 said:
1+sinx=cosx

sherrellbc said:
I was wondering the same thing.
Perhaps, you meant to write:
## 1 - sin^2(x) = cos^2(x) ##

I believe this is what the OP was doing:
##sin(\pi/2 + x) = cos(x)##
##sin(\pi/2) + sin(x) = cos(x)##
1 + sin(x) = cos(x)

IOW, the OP was to distribute in a situation for which it wasn't applicable.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These identities are used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving these functions.

2. How do I know if my method for solving trig identities is correct?

The best way to check if your method for solving trig identities is correct is to plug in values for the variables in the equation and see if both sides of the equation are equal. Another way is to use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they overlap or are identical.

3. What are the most commonly used trig identities?

Some of the most commonly used trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, cofunction identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are used to simplify expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. How can I memorize all the trig identities?

Memorizing all the trig identities can be a daunting task, but there are some tips that can help. One tip is to group similar identities together and try to understand the patterns. Another tip is to practice using the identities in different types of problems to reinforce your understanding.

5. Can I use trig identities in real-world applications?

Yes, trig identities have many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to model and solve various problems involving angles and periodic functions. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building or the trajectory of a projectile.