Trig Identity Theory: Show $\tan\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{q-p}{2\sqrt{qp}}$

In summary, using the method I suggested, we have:\cot^2(\theta)=\left(\frac{p+q}{p-q}\right)^2-1=\frac{4pq}{(p-q)^2}Since the cotangent function is negative in quadrant II, we take:\cot(\theta)=\frac{2\sqrt{pq}}{q-p}Thus:\tan(\theta)=\frac{q-p}{2\sqrt{pq}}
karush
Gold Member
MHB
If $\sin\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{\left(p-q\right)}{\left(p+q\right)}$

And $p$ and $q$ are $90^o<\theta<180^o$ and $p>q$

Show that $\tan\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{q-p}{2\sqrt{qp}}$

I tried using $q=\frac{2\pi}{3 }$ and $p=\frac{5\pi}{6}$

But not...

To do this but theory I'm clueless

Mathematics news on Phys.org
karush said:
If $\sin\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{\left(p-q\right)}{\left(p+q\right)}$

And $p$ and $q$ are $90^o<\theta<180^o$ and $p>q$

Show that $\tan\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{q-p}{2\sqrt{qp}}$

I tried using $q=\frac{2\pi}{3 }$ and $p=\frac{5\pi}{6}$

But not...

To do this but theory I'm clueless

$q=\frac{2\pi}{3 }$ and $p=\frac{5\pi}{6}$ cannot be taken as these I presume you are taking angles but these should be values
you know $\sin \theta$
from this u can evaluate $\cos \theta$
because it is related to square root u get 2 values
because cos is -ve in second qudrant take -ve value
devide and get result

$\sin\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{\left(p-q\right)}{\left(p+q\right)}$

$\cos(\theta) = \sqrt{1-(\frac{\left(p-q\right)}{\left(p+q\right)})^2}$
or $\cos^2(\theta) =\frac{(p+q)^2 -(p-q)^2}{(p-q)^2}= \frac{4pq}{((p-q)^2}$
you should be able to proceed

Last edited:
Another way to go would be to begin with the Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \cot^2(\theta)=\csc^2(\theta)-1\)

From this you can solve for $\cot(\theta)$ since you know \(\displaystyle \csc(\theta)\equiv\frac{1}{\sin(\theta)}\) and bearing in mind which quadrant $\theta$ is in when you take the square root. Then use \(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)\equiv\frac{1}{\cot(\theta)}\). :)

... or you could proceed geometrically: construct a right-angled triangle with opposite side p - q and hypotenuse p + q. Then use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the adjacent side and recall that the tangent is negative over the given interval.

The triangle worked for me
$$\sin\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{p-q}{p+q}=\frac{o} {h} $$

Therefore
$$\cos\left({\theta}\right)=-\sqrt{\left(p+q\right)^2 - \left(p-q\right)^2}=-2\sqrt{pq}$$

So (the sign is given by the quadrant)

$$\tan\left({\theta}\right)=\frac{o}{-a}=\frac{q-p}{2\sqrt{qp}}$$

Kinda messy but..

Last edited:
\(\displaystyle \cos\theta=\dfrac{2\sqrt{pq}}{p+q}\text{ for }0^\circ<\theta<90^\circ\), but you don't need that.

\(\displaystyle \tan\theta=\dfrac{\text{opposite}}{\text{adjacent}}=\dfrac{p-q}{2\sqrt{pq}}\text{ for }0^\circ<\theta<90^\circ\). For \(\displaystyle 90^\circ<\theta<180^\circ\), $\tan\theta=\dfrac{q-p}{2\sqrt{pq}}$.

I suggest making an effort to understand the other two methods given. :)

OK, I should of called it adjacent side not $\cos\left({\theta}\right)$

The other suggestions seemed harder..

karush said:
OK, I should of called it adjacent side not $\cos\left({\theta}\right)$

The other suggestions seemed harder..

Using the method I suggested, we have:

\(\displaystyle \cot^2(\theta)=\left(\frac{p+q}{p-q}\right)^2-1=\frac{4pq}{(p-q)^2}\)

Since the cotangent function is negative in quadrant II, we take:

\(\displaystyle \cot(\theta)=\frac{2\sqrt{pq}}{q-p}\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{q-p}{2\sqrt{pq}}\)

In method that probably is easier. But it's hard to see what's going on without a triangle.

1. What is Trig Identity Theory?

Trig Identity Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of trigonometric identities. These identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions and are true for all values of the variables involved. They are useful for simplifying expressions and solving equations in trigonometry.

2. What is the purpose of Trig Identity Theory?

The purpose of Trig Identity Theory is to provide a set of rules and formulas that can be used to manipulate and simplify trigonometric expressions. These identities are also used to prove other mathematical theorems and to solve various problems in physics and engineering.

3. How is the given identity, tan(theta) = (q-p)/2sqrt(qp), derived?

This identity is derived from the Pythagorean identity, which states that sin^2(theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1. By dividing both sides of this equation by cos^2(theta), we get tan^2(theta) + 1 = sec^2(theta). Then, by rearranging this equation, we get tan(theta) = sqrt(sec^2(theta) - 1). Finally, using the identity sec(theta) = 1/cos(theta), we can substitute and simplify to get tan(theta) = (q-p)/2sqrt(qp).

4. How is this identity used in trigonometry?

This identity can be used to simplify expressions involving tan(theta) or to solve equations involving tan(theta). It is also useful in proving other identities or solving problems in physics and engineering that involve trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any other important trigonometric identities to know?

Yes, there are many other important trigonometric identities, such as the double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to have a good understanding of these identities in order to use them effectively in trigonometry.