Trig Question: cos(2theta) = sin(theta), solve.

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometry problem involving the equation cos(2theta) = sin(theta) and the need to use trig identities to solve it. The conversation also touches on the importance of memorizing trig identities and clarifies that the question is not asking to prove an identity, but to solve an equation. The conversation ends with a suggestion to re-write the equation in a different form to make it easier to solve.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am trying to work through a trig review I found online, but this is the type of question I am needing to be able to solve. If anyone can be so kind to send me a link to a tutorial on how to solve these, I would REALLY appreciate it. Anyways, on to the question! :)

cos(2theta) = sin(theta), solve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can think of is changing cos2theta so there is no more 2.

? What is the aim of a question like this, or this type of trig questions. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use trig identities to make both sides equal. Cos(2θ) has another form for example.

Ok right, since we are not allowed to have a list of trig identities, and given this type of question, what are the most important trig indentities I need to memorize?

So this question is basically just asking me to prove the identity that cos2theta = sintheta?

So this question is basically just asking me to prove the identity that cos2theta = sintheta?

Yes.

nukeman said:
Ok right, since we are not allowed to have a list of trig identities, and given this type of question, what are the most important trig indentities I need to memorize?

No, that is not true, so that is not what the question is asking. It is just asking you to solve an equation involving θ. For some (i.e., most) values of θ the equation will be false, but for some special values it will be true. You can perhaps use the relationship between cos(2θ) and sin(θ) and cos(θ) to re-write the equation in a way that may be easier to deal with.

RGV

1st part:
1) Make the right hand side equal to 90. Note only for sin and cos.
2) solve like a normal equation eg. 2thetha+thetha = 90

2nd part:
1) sin(thetha), second quadrant, would become, sin(180-thetha)
2) Make right hand side equal 90,drop sin cos, solve like a normal equation.

TheRedDevil18 said:
1st part:
1) Make the right hand side equal to 90. Note only for sin and cos.
2) solve like a normal equation eg. 2thetha+thetha = 90

2nd part:
1) sin(thetha), second quadrant, would become, sin(180-thetha)
2) Make right hand side equal 90,drop sin cos, solve like a normal equation.
I have no idea what you are talking about. '1st part' of what? There was only one equation given here. 'Right side' of what? The right side of the only given equation was "sin(theta)" and that is certainly not "90"! Nor is theta.

1. How do I solve for theta in cos(2theta) = sin(theta)?

To solve this equation, we can use the double angle formula for cosine: cos(2theta) = 2cos^2(theta) - 1. Substituting this into the original equation, we get 2cos^2(theta) - 1 = sin(theta). Rearranging, we get 2cos^2(theta) - sin(theta) - 1 = 0. This can then be solved using the quadratic formula, or by factoring.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, a calculator can be used to solve this equation. Make sure your calculator is set to the appropriate units (degrees or radians) and use the inverse cos and sin functions to find the value of theta.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of theta in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of theta. Since sine and cosine have a period of 2pi, the solutions for theta can be any value that satisfies the equation within one period. In other words, theta can be any value that makes cos(2theta) = sin(theta) true, plus or minus any multiple of 2pi.

4. How many solutions are there for theta in this equation?

There are an infinite number of solutions for theta in this equation, since sine and cosine are periodic functions. However, if we restrict the values of theta to one period, there will be a finite number of solutions.

5. Can this equation be solved without using trigonometric identities?

Yes, this equation can be solved without using trigonometric identities. One method is to rewrite the equation in terms of tangent: cos(2theta) = sin(theta) can be rewritten as cos(2theta)/sin(theta) = 1, which simplifies to cot(theta) = 1. From there, we can use inverse trig functions to find the value of theta.