Trig Question, Find x-intercepts

• Thread starter dolpho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the x-intercepts for y= -5sin(4x+pi/3) on the interval [-pi/6, pi/2) are -pi/12, pi/6, and 5pi/12. The period of the function is pi/2 and there will be an x-intercept every half-period.
dolpho

Homework Statement

List all x-intercepts for y= -5sin(4x+pi/3) On the interval [-pi/6, pi/2)

Homework Equations

I know that y=sin has x-intercepts at 0, pi, and 2pi on the interval of [0, 2pi] but when I try to solve it the same way here it doesn't really come out the same.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I tried to solve it,

-pi/6 < 4x + pi/3 < pi/2 ----> I subtract pi/3 from both -pi/6 and pi/2

= -3pi/6 < 4x < pi/6 ----> Then I divide 4 by both

= -3pi/24 < x < pi / 24

so the x-intercepts would be -3pi/24 (-pi/8) and pi/24 and the midpoint between those but I guess its wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
dolpho said:

Homework Statement

List all x-intercepts for y= -5sin(4x+pi/3) On the interval [-pi/6, pi/2)

Homework Equations

I know that y=sin has x-intercepts at 0, pi, and 2pi on the interval of [0, 2pi] but when I try to solve it the same way here it doesn't really come out the same.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I tried to solve it,

-pi/6 < 4x + pi/3 < pi/2 ----> I subtract pi/3 from both -pi/6 and pi/2

= -3pi/6 < 4x < pi/6 ----> Then I divide 4 by both

= -3pi/24 < x < pi / 24

so the x-intercepts would be -3pi/24 (-pi/8) and pi/24 and the midpoint between those but I guess its wrong :(
Hello dolpho. Welcome back to PF !

You're told that [itex]\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{6}\le x\le\frac{\pi}{2}\ .[/itex] Now find the interval on which [itex]\displaystyle 4x+\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] then occurs.

You have worked it out as if [itex]\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{6}\le \left(4x+\frac{\pi}{3}\right)\le\frac{\pi}{2}\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
Hello dolpho. Welcome back to PF !

You're told that [itex]\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{6}\le x\le\frac{\pi}{2}\ .[/itex] Now find the interval on which [itex]\displaystyle 4x+\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex] then occurs.

You have worked it out as if [itex]\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{6}\le \left(4x+\frac{\pi}{3}\right)\le\frac{\pi}{2}\ .[/itex]

Ahhh my mind is messed up on this problem!

I worked it another way so that

0= -5sin(4x + pi/3)

-pi/3 = 4x

-pi/12 = x

So I think that part is right but what if I wanted to find more x-intercepts along the interval of -pi / 6 and pi/2?

dolpho said:

0= -5sin(4x + pi/3)

-pi/3 = 4x

-pi/12 = x

So I think that part is right but what if I wanted to find more x-intercepts along the interval of -pi / 6 and pi/2?

[itex]\Large period=\frac{2\pi}{b}[/itex]
for the form:
[itex]\large asin(bx-c)+d[/itex]
so your b value is 4. There will be an x intercept every half-period.

dolpho said:

0= -5sin(4x + pi/3)

-pi/3 = 4x

-pi/12 = x

You could work it out:

[itex]\displaystyle -\frac{\pi}{6}\le x\le\frac{\pi}{2}\ [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle -\frac{4\pi}{6}\le 4x\le\frac{4\pi}{2}\ [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle -\frac{2\pi}{3}+\frac{\pi}{3}\le 4x+\frac{\pi}{3}\le2\pi+\frac{\pi}{3}\ [/itex]

etc.

Ok so I think I found the answer.

0 = -5sin(4x+pi/3)

-pi/3 = 4x

-pi/12 = 1 x-int, Then I find out the period so, 2pi / 4 = pi/2

Add pi/2 to -pi/12 = 5pi/12. Then find the midpoint between those so the x-intercepts would be

-pi/12, pi/6 and 5pi/12

Anyone get the same answers?

dolpho said:
Ok so I think I found the answer.

0 = -5sin(4x+pi/3)

-pi/3 = 4x

-pi/12 = 1 x-int, Then I find out the period so, 2pi / 4 = pi/2

Add pi/2 to -pi/12 = 5pi/12. Then find the midpoint between those so the x-intercepts would be

-pi/12, pi/6 and 5pi/12

Anyone get the same answers?

Those are correct.

1. What is the definition of an x-intercept in trigonometry?

An x-intercept in trigonometry is the point where a trigonometric function crosses the x-axis. It is the value of x where the function's output is equal to 0.

2. How do you find the x-intercepts of a trigonometric function?

To find the x-intercepts of a trigonometric function, set the function's output equal to 0 and solve for the value of x. This can be done by using algebraic techniques or graphing the function and identifying the points where it crosses the x-axis.

3. What is the significance of x-intercepts in trigonometry?

X-intercepts are important in trigonometry because they help us determine the roots or solutions of a trigonometric equation. They also give us information about the behavior of the function, such as whether it is increasing or decreasing.

4. Can a trigonometric function have more than two x-intercepts?

Yes, a trigonometric function can have more than two x-intercepts. The number of x-intercepts a function has depends on the type and complexity of the function. For example, a sine function can have an infinite number of x-intercepts, while a tangent function can have multiple x-intercepts within a specific interval.

5. How do you use x-intercepts to graph a trigonometric function?

To graph a trigonometric function using x-intercepts, plot the x-intercepts on the x-axis and determine the behavior of the function between each intercept. You can also use the x-intercepts to identify the amplitude and period of the function. Additionally, if you know the x-intercepts and the behavior of the function, you can sketch the rest of the graph by connecting the points smoothly.