Triggers and Litmus Tests For BSM Physics Papers

In summary, the conversation discusses the vast amount of new papers on Beyond the Standard Model physics theories and the difficulty in finding time to read them all. The speaker mentions that they rely on certain triggers and litmus tests to identify papers worth pursuing, such as ignoring papers that rely on tachyons, and automatically following up on papers with a deviation from the SM or GR of 2.5 sigma or more. They also mention paying attention to technical details that are soundly founded and ignoring papers with misguided or confused theories.
ohwilleke
Gold Member
There are scores of new papers proposing or discussing new Beyond the Standard Model physics theories every week (at arXiv and elsewhere) and unless you have an infinite amount of time you can't read them all in depth.

What "triggers and litmus tests" do you rely upon to identify, either papers that look promising on one hand, or papers that aren't worth your time to pursue, on the other?

For example, I pretty much immediately ignore any paper that relies on tachyons to explain something.

On the other hand, I pretty much automatically follow up on any paper that claims to show an experimental result with a deviation from the SM or GR of 2.5 sigma or more (unless it calculates a look elsewhere effect of less than 2 sigma).

I also ignore pretty much all papers about how a newly proposed experiment would discover something if it were ever conducted (which really deserves its own category, for what it is worth).

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
ohwilleke said:
There are scores of new papers proposing or discussing new Beyond the Standard Model physics theories every week (at arXiv and elsewhere) and unless you have an infinite amount of time you can't read them all in depth.

What "triggers and litmus tests" do you rely upon to identify, either papers that look promising on one hand, or papers that aren't worth your time to pursue, on the other?

For example, I pretty much immediately ignore any paper that relies on tachyons to explain something.

On the other hand, I pretty much automatically follow up on any paper that claims to show an experimental result with a deviation from the SM or GR of 2.5 sigma or more (unless it calculates a look elsewhere effect of less than 2 sigma).

I also ignore pretty much all papers about how a newly proposed experiment would discover something if it were ever conducted (which really deserves its own category, for what it is worth).
Indeed there isn't time to read everything.

1) Technical details within BSM programs that i consider misguided in its foundations is normally not interesting.

2) Claims of new key ideas that promises to resolve problems in the foundations of an otherwise (from my perspective) misguided programs catch my attention.

3) Technical details along the lines that are soundly founded do attract my attention. This category is what attracts most of my attention. Typically for me this is bayesian style information and inference based approaches to interactions.

4) New crazy theories that seem deeply confused or (from my perspective) misguided from the point of view of rational reasoning will not get attention.

/Fredrik

Likes arivero and ohwilleke

1. What are triggers and litmus tests for BSM physics papers?

Triggers and litmus tests are methods used in physics to identify and study Beyond the Standard Model (BSM) phenomena. These are events or conditions that can indicate the presence of new physics beyond the currently accepted Standard Model.

2. How do triggers and litmus tests work?

Triggers are specialized algorithms that are used to select specific events from large amounts of data collected in high-energy physics experiments. Litmus tests, on the other hand, are theoretical predictions that can be compared to experimental results to determine if they are consistent with new physics.

3. What makes triggers and litmus tests important in BSM physics research?

Triggers and litmus tests are crucial in BSM physics research because they allow scientists to narrow down the search for new physics by filtering out background noise and focusing on the most relevant data. They also provide a way to test and confirm new theories and models.

4. How are triggers and litmus tests developed and validated?

Triggers are usually developed by a team of physicists and computer scientists who analyze data from previous experiments and use statistical methods to identify patterns that can indicate new physics. Litmus tests are derived from theoretical models and are tested against experimental data to determine their accuracy and validity.

5. Can triggers and litmus tests be used in other areas of science?

Yes, triggers and litmus tests are not limited to BSM physics research. They can also be applied in other areas of science, such as astrophysics, biology, and chemistry, to identify and study new phenomena and validate theoretical models.