Trigonometric equation -- real roots

In summary: Since ##\cosh## is strictly increasing on ##[0, \infty)##, the equality can only hold if ##x \ln 2=0##, which implies ##x=0## since ##\ln 2 \neq 0##.
matrixone
The number of real roots of the equation

$$2cos \left( \frac {x^2 + x} {6} \right)=2^x + 2^{-x}$$

Answer options are : 0,1,2,∞

My approach :

range of cos function is [-1,1]
thus the RHS of the equation belongs to [-2,2]
So, we have
-2 ≤ 2x + 2-x ≤ 2
solving the right inequality, i got 2x = 1 and that satisfies the left part too
therefore , x can take only one value = 0
Now since this values agrees with the orginal trigonometric equation, we have 1 real root for this equation

So answer is 1

Is my approach/answer correct ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is correct. You can also start from the RHS and try to see if ##2^{x} + 2^{-x}## bounds some expression with known value.

matrixone said:
The number of real roots of the equation

$$2cos \left( \frac {x^2 + x} {6} \right)=2^x + 2^{-x}$$

Answer options are : 0,1,2,∞

My approach :

range of cos function is [-1,1]
thus the RHS of the equation belongs to [-2,2]
So, we have
-2 ≤ 2x + 2-x ≤ 2
solving the right inequality, i got 2x = 1 and that satisfies the left part too
therefore , x can take only one value = 0
Now since this values agrees with the orginal trigonometric equation, we have 1 real root for this equation

So answer is 1

Is my approach/answer correct ?
Looks good so far, but how do you get from ##2^x +2^{-x}\leq 2## to ##2^x=1##?
I only see ##-1 < x < 1## without pen and paper.

@fresh_42
##2^x +\frac{1}{2^x}\leq 2##
##(2^x)^2 - 2*2^x + 1 \leq 0##
##(2^x - 1)^2 \leq 0##

only the equality condition is feasible for real x

Likes fresh_42 and mfb
Alternatively, you can see that x=0 is a solution to ##2^x + 2^{-x} = 2## and consider the derivatives to show that there are no further solutions. The quadratic equation is more elegant, however.

fresh_42 said:
Looks good so far, but how do you get from ##2^x +2^{-x}\leq 2## to ##2^x=1##?
I only see ##-1 < x < 1## without pen and paper.

[itex]2^x + 2^{-x} = 2\cosh(x \ln 2) \geq 2[/itex].

Likes mfb

Related to Trigonometric equation -- real roots

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that contains at least one trigonometric function, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. These equations involve the measurement of angles and are used to solve various problems in mathematics and other fields.

2. What are real roots in a trigonometric equation?

Real roots in a trigonometric equation refer to the values of the variable that make the equation true. In other words, these are the values of the variable that satisfy the equation when plugged in. Real roots can be positive, negative, or zero.

3. How can I solve a trigonometric equation with real roots?

To solve a trigonometric equation with real roots, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the unit circle. It is important to first simplify the equation and then isolate the variable to find its value. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the solutions.

4. Are there any special cases in solving trigonometric equations with real roots?

Yes, there are some special cases in solving trigonometric equations with real roots. These include equations with multiple angles, equations with inverse trigonometric functions, and equations with trigonometric identities. It is important to be familiar with these cases and the corresponding techniques to solve them.

5. What are some applications of trigonometric equations with real roots?

Trigonometric equations with real roots have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to model and solve problems involving angles, such as calculating distances, heights, and velocities. They also have applications in navigation, music, and art.