Trigonometric identities transformation last one

In summary, by using cross multiplication, I was able to prove that the identity $\frac{\tan\alpha+\tan\beta}{\sec\alpha-\sec\beta}=\frac{\sec\alpha+\sec\beta}{\tan\alpha-\tan\beta}$ is true. However, I am not able to transform the left side member into the right side member. I need help from someone who knows how to do this.
Drain Brain
Transform the left hand member into the right hand member.

$\frac{\tan\alpha+\tan\beta}{\sec\alpha-\sec\beta}=\frac{\sec\alpha+\sec\beta}{\tan\alpha-\tan\beta}$By using cross multiplication I was able to prove this identity but what I actually want to accomplush is to transform the left member to the right member and that I have no clue on. I need some help here.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi (Wave),

On the LHS, multiply by the conjugate $\sec\alpha+\sec\beta$ and on the RHS, multiply by the conjugate $\tan\alpha+\tan\beta$. Without expanding anything, see if you can simplify their denominators so that they are the same.

Rido12 said:
Hi (Wave),

On the LHS, multiply by the conjugate $\sec\alpha+\sec\beta$ and on the RHS, multiply by the conjugate $\tan\alpha+\tan\beta$. Without expanding anything, see if you can simplify their denominators so that they are the same.

Did you mean multiply the conjugate by the numerator and denominator of both members?

Yep. Multiply the LHS numerator and denominator by $\sec\alpha+\sec\beta$, and similarly, in the RHS, multiply numerator and denominator by $\tan\alpha+\tan\beta$. Don't expand the numerator after that, and factor the denominator via difference of squares.

When I was a student, proving trig. identities meant taking the left side, and through the use of certain basic identities, transforming the left side into the right.

\(\displaystyle \frac{\tan\alpha+\tan\beta}{\sec\alpha-\sec\beta}\)

I think you are off to a good start by trying:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\tan\alpha+\tan\beta}{\sec\alpha-\sec\beta}\cdot\frac{\tan\alpha-\tan\beta}{\tan\alpha-\tan\beta}\cdot\frac{\sec\alpha+\sec\beta}{\sec\alpha+\sec\beta}\)

You should then write it in the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\tan^2\alpha-\tan^2\beta}{\sec^2\alpha-\sec^2\beta}\cdot\frac{\sec\alpha+\sec\beta}{\tan\alpha-\tan\beta}\)

Now, on the first factor, apply a Pythagorean identity to either the numerator or denominator...

MarkFL said:
When I was a student, proving trig. identities meant taking the left side, and through the use of certain basic identities, transforming the left side into the right.

Or rather, taking EITHER side, and through the use of certain basic identities, transforming that side into the OTHER side...

You can use that

$$\tan^2(\alpha) - \sec^2 (\alpha) = -1,$$

$$\tan^2(\beta) - \sec^2(\beta) = -1,$$

therefore

$$\tan^2(\alpha) - \sec^2(\alpha) = \tan^2(\beta) - \sec^2(\beta).$$

Can you take it from here?

:)

Related to Trigonometric identities transformation last one

1. What is the purpose of transforming trigonometric identities?

The purpose of transforming trigonometric identities is to simplify and manipulate them in order to solve equations and prove mathematical statements.

2. What is the last step in transforming a trigonometric identity?

The last step in transforming a trigonometric identity is to substitute back the original variables or values into the simplified equation to verify its validity.

3. Can trigonometric identities be transformed into other forms?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be transformed into different forms such as addition and subtraction identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for transforming trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines to follow when transforming trigonometric identities, such as using algebraic manipulations and substitution rules, and working with the fundamental identities and Pythagorean identities.

5. How can transforming trigonometric identities be applied in real-world situations?

Transforming trigonometric identities can be applied in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve problems involving angles, distances, and periodic functions.