Trigonometry- Converting from DMS to DD and rounding

In summary, the problem asks to convert 24*8'15'' to degree decimal notation. The attempt at a solution is (24.1375*).
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Convert 24*8'15'' to Degree Decimal notation. Round to the nearest second.
(Let * denote the 'degree' symbol. I couldn't find it anywhere in Latex)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

24* + 8[(1)/(60)]* + 15[(1)/(3600)]*
= 24.1375*

This is the solution, before rounding. I'm unclear about what it means to round to the nearest second with a decimal like this? In the decimal, which part constitutes the seconds and which is the minutes?

Physics news on Phys.org
opus said:

Homework Statement

Convert 24*8'15'' to Degree Decimal notation. Round to the nearest second.
(Let * denote the 'degree' symbol. I couldn't find it anywhere in Latex)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

24* + 8[(1)/(60)]* + 15[(1)/(3600)]*
= 24.1375*

This is the solution, before rounding. I'm unclear about what it means to round to the nearest second with a decimal like this? In the decimal, which part constitutes the seconds and which is the minutes?
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. The only thing I can think of, other than there is a mistake in the problem wording, is this: A second is 1/60 of a degree, or .01666... of a degree. The fractional part of your answer is between 8' and 9'. Figure out the closest multiple of .01666'.

If it were me, I would talk to the instructor to get clarification on what this means

Likes opus
That's what I was thinking as well, but today was my first day in the class and my last resort is to blame to material or instructor when I can't figure something out. Glad you could provide some clarity. Thank you Mark.

opus said:
That's what I was thinking as well, but today was my first day in the class and my last resort is to blame to material or instructor when I can't figure something out. Glad you could provide some clarity. Thank you Mark.
I concur that it doesn't really make sense. Perhaps it was leftover from another problem which converted Decimal Degrees to Degrees Minutes Seconds, then round to the nearest second. I wouldn't so much as say to "blame" the instructor. Just let him know that you don't understand the meaning of the instructions. Is this high school or college? Perhaps there is a TA you could talk with?

Another note: You can get the degree (°) symbol at least two ways. One is to click the Σ button in the toolbar at the top of the textbox that you are typing. It gives you a bunch of common symbols (which show up below the textbox). Then if you have a PC, you can do it with the keyboard by holding down the Alt key then (on the number keypad) type 0 1 7 6 keys, then release the Alt key.

Likes opus
Thanks for the responses guys. The Trigonometry is part of a college PreCalculus course, and I asked my instructor this morning and it was indeed a typo. The "round to the nearest second" portion was supposed to go onto the next question.
And thanks for the tech tip scottdave. Very useful.

Likes scottdave

1. How do I convert from degrees, minutes, and seconds to decimal degrees?

To convert from DMS to DD, you must first convert the minutes and seconds to decimal form. To do this, divide the number of minutes by 60 and add the result to the number of seconds divided by 3600. Then, add the decimal form of minutes and seconds to the degrees. This will give you the decimal degrees (DD) value.

2. What is the purpose of converting from DMS to DD?

Converting from degrees, minutes, and seconds to decimal degrees is necessary for mathematical calculations and for using coordinates on maps or in GPS devices. It also makes it easier to compare and analyze data.

3. Should I round the DD value after converting from DMS?

It is generally recommended to round the DD value to a reasonable number of decimal places based on the level of precision needed for your calculations or measurements. Typically, 4-6 decimal places is sufficient for most applications.

4. Can I convert from DD to DMS?

Yes, you can convert from decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds by reversing the process. First, take the decimal part of the DD value and multiply it by 60 to get the number of minutes. Then, take the decimal part of the minutes and multiply it by 60 to get the number of seconds. Finally, add these values to the degrees to get the DMS value.

5. Is there a formula for converting from DMS to DD?

Yes, the formula for converting from DMS to DD is DD = degrees + (minutes/60) + (seconds/3600). This formula can also be used to convert from DD to DMS by reversing the process.