What Are the Solar Panel Requirements for Meeting the US' Electrical Needs?

In summary, the current solar-panel technology has an efficiency of 12% in converting solar energy to electricity. To supply all of the electrical requirements of the United States, which is estimated to be 5 × 10^20 J/yr, approximately 88% of the area of Arizona, which is 3.0 × 10^5 km^2, would need to be covered with solar panels. The equivalent solar-panel area to the Niagara Falls, where 50% of its potential energy can be converted into electricity, is approximately 7.5 km^2.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

Current solar-panel technology has the efficiency of converting 12% of the solar energy to electricity. Given that on a sunny day in Arizona the average solar radiation energy flux is 1.0 kW/m^2 , and that the area of Arizona is 3.0 × 10^5 km^2 ,

1. What percentage of that area needs to be covered with solar panels in order to supply all of the electrical requirements of the United States, estimated at 5 × 10^20 J/yr? (Assume that each day has 12 hours of cloudless daylight, and round your answer to the nearest percent):

2. At the Niagara Falls water is falling an average of 52 m at a rate of r =dm/dt = 1.8 × 10^6 kg/s. If 50% of that potential energy could be converted into electricity, what is the solar-panel area equivalent to the Niagara Falls in km^2 ? (round to one decimal place):

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did:

We get 1000 W/m^2 per second of input. As we run it only half the time, and the efficiency is 0.12, we get a net power of 0.12*500 W/m^2 = 60W/m^2.

A year has 365*86400 seconds, which are roughly 300*10^5 = 3*10^7 seconds. So the power needed by the US is
5*10^20 J/yr = 5*10^20 / (3*10^7) J/s = 1.66*10^13 W.

So
166*10^11 W / 60 W/m^2 =approx 3*10^11 m^2 = 3*10^5 km^2

Is it right? How do I convert to % after this?

2. Per second, m*g*h = 1.8*10^6 * 9.81 * 52 * 0.5 Joule =approx 450 MJ (megajoule),

Area=
450 MW / 60W/m² = 450/60 km² = 7.5km²

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks about right. Simplify divide the area needed by the area of arizona and multiply by 100% for part a).

So its 100 %?
But if I don't approximate the seconds, i will get a different answer. Which answer should I take?

No it's [tex]\frac{Area of solar panels}{Area of Arizona} * 100\%[/tex].

I don't follow what you mean by approximating the seconds.

In my statement:

A year has 365*86400 seconds, which are roughly 300*10^5 = 3*10^7 seconds.

I have approximated to 3 * 10^7
The real value is 31536000 = 3.15 * 10^7

So power needed by US will be : 5*10^20 / (3.15 *10^7) J/s = 1.59 * 10^13

So area =
159*10^11 W / 60 W/m^2 = 2.64 * 10^11

So % will be in this case: 2.64 * 10^11 / (3.0 × 10^5 km^2) *100 = 0.88* 100 = 88%

Or if i don't approximate, it will be 100%. So which one should I take?

Ohh I see what you're saying. Don't approximate the seconds since conversions are exact. 365 days = 3.1536*107 s. Do your calculations with as much accuracy as possible and at the end, use 2 significant figures.

So is it 88%?

Yup!

1. How does a solar energy cell work?

A solar energy cell, also known as a solar cell, works by converting sunlight into electricity through the photovoltaic effect. The cell is made up of layers of silicon and other materials that create an electric field. When light hits the cell, it knocks electrons loose from the silicon atoms, allowing them to flow through the cell and create an electrical current.

2. What is the efficiency of solar energy cells?

The efficiency of solar energy cells varies depending on the type and quality of the cell, as well as external factors such as temperature and shading. On average, the efficiency of commercially available solar cells ranges from 15-20%. However, the most efficient solar cells can reach up to 40% efficiency.

3. Can solar energy cells work in cloudy weather?

While solar energy cells work best in direct sunlight, they can still generate electricity on cloudy days. However, the amount of electricity produced will be lower compared to a sunny day. The efficiency of the cell may also be affected by the amount of cloud cover and the type of solar panel used.

4. How much maintenance do solar energy cells require?

Solar energy cells require very little maintenance as they have no moving parts. However, it is recommended to clean the surface of the cells periodically to remove any dirt or debris that may block sunlight. Additionally, it is important to regularly check the connections and wiring to ensure the system is functioning properly.

5. Can solar energy cells power an entire home?

Yes, solar energy cells can power an entire home, but it depends on several factors such as the size of the home, energy usage, and the number and efficiency of the solar panels. Some homes may require a larger system or a combination of solar energy and other energy sources to meet their electricity needs.