Trigonometry - Horizon Related Word Problem

In summary: But they didn't give you a value of radius to use for this problem, so you'll have to figure that out yourself.
nmnna
Homework Statement
Persons A and B are at the beach, their eyes are 5 ft and 6 ft, respectively, above sea level. How
many miles farther out is Person B’s horizon than Person A’s?
Relevant Equations
;;
Hello!
I'm trying to solve this problem.
Here's the diagram I tried to make.
1614415889388.png

I have difficulty understanding this math problem.. I've tried to solve the problem using the symmetry of the triangles but I didn't get the right answer, and I can't seem to understand the "concept" of the horizon here.
So I'll be grateful if you give me some hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, it is necessary to consider the curvature of the earth, which can be considered to be a sphere with a radius of 4000 miles.

Yeah, I think your diagram is at least very misleading. You have them looking at like, the side of a mountain or something, which isn't really how the horizon works.

You should view it like this. Line BC is of length R, where R is the radius of the Earth. Line AC is of length R+H, where H is the height of the person. Line AB is tangent to the Earth, so line AB is perpendicular to line BC. You want to calculate the distance AB, which is how far the person is seeing. Remember that H<<R, and use approximations.
Horizon.png

Likes nmnna and Lnewqban
nmnna said:
... but I didn't get the right answer, and I can't seem to understand the "concept" of the horizon here.
So I'll be grateful if you give me some hints.
Welcome, nmnna! :smile:
Did they give you a value of radius to use for this problem?

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_radius

As explained above, horizon is where the line of sight of a person hits the interface sky-ocean.
That makes that line of sight a line that is simultaneously tangent to the surface of the ocean (at the horizon) and perpendicular to a line from the horizon to the center of the Earth.

Besides the Pythagorean theorem, you could use the tangent-secant theorem, making the secant line go through the center of the Earth:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangent-secant_theorem
z4_6QpKu_EzL8HuhRVT-tVSv65BMHIZ7jR5s4p6-evqZczI1Bg.gif

Last edited:
Likes nmnna

1. What is trigonometry and how is it related to horizon related word problems?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships. It involves using ratios and angles to solve various problems. In horizon related word problems, trigonometry is used to calculate distances, heights, and angles of objects in relation to the horizon.

2. What are some real-life applications of trigonometry in horizon related word problems?

Trigonometry is used in navigation, astronomy, and surveying to calculate distances and angles between objects and the horizon. It is also used in architecture and engineering to determine the height of buildings and structures.

3. How do you solve a horizon related word problem using trigonometry?

To solve a horizon related word problem using trigonometry, you first need to identify the given information and the unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric function (sine, cosine, or tangent) and the given ratios to set up an equation. Finally, solve the equation to find the unknown variable.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving horizon related word problems with trigonometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving horizon related word problems with trigonometry include using the wrong trigonometric function, using the wrong ratios, and forgetting to convert units. It is also important to draw accurate diagrams and use the correct formula for the given problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in solving horizon related word problems with trigonometry?

To improve your understanding and skills in solving horizon related word problems with trigonometry, practice regularly and review the basic concepts and formulas. You can also seek help from a tutor or participate in online resources and practice problems to strengthen your skills.