Trigonometry Problem: Finding Length of Vector a = (-2sint, 0, -2cost)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the length of a vector in terms of trigonometric functions. The attempt at a solution involved using the Pythagorean theorem, but the answer provided was incorrect. The correct answer is 2/sqrt(29).
hanelliot

Homework Statement

a = 1/sqrt(29) * (-2*sint, 0, -2*cost)
length of a is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ignoring 0, we have sqrt{[(-2*sint)/sqrt(29)]^2 + [(-2*cost)/sqrt(29)]^2}. I get 2/sqrt(29) but answer is [2*sqrt(2)]/sqrt(29). Can anyone do this step by step and show me please..

Physics news on Phys.org
hanelliot said:

Homework Statement

a = 1/sqrt(29) * (-2*sint, 0, -2*cost)
length of a is?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ignoring 0, we have sqrt{[(-2*sint)/sqrt(29)]^2 + [(-2*cost)/sqrt(29)]^2}. I get 2/sqrt(29) but answer is [2*sqrt(2)]/sqrt(29). Can anyone do this step by step and show me please..
No need to. You answer is correct. [itex]2\sqrt{2}/\sqrt{29}[/itex] would be [itex]\sqrt{4+ 4}/\sqrt{29}[/itex] but [itex]4sin^2(t)+ 4cos^2(t)= 4[/itex] not 4+ 4.

hmm so solution must be wrong.. I wonder why no one pointed it out tho

Related to Trigonometry Problem: Finding Length of Vector a = (-2sint, 0, -2cost)

What is simple trigonometry check?

Simple trigonometry check is a process of verifying the accuracy of trigonometric equations and calculations by performing basic trigonometric calculations or using trigonometric identities.

What are the basic trigonometric functions used in a simple trigonometry check?

The basic trigonometric functions used in a simple trigonometry check are sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

Why is simple trigonometry check important?

Simple trigonometry check is important because it helps to identify and correct any errors in trigonometric calculations, ensuring accurate results in various fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy.

What are some common mistakes to look out for in a simple trigonometry check?

Some common mistakes to look out for in a simple trigonometry check include incorrect use of trigonometric identities, incorrect input of values, and incorrect use of trigonometric functions.

How can I improve my skills in performing a simple trigonometry check?

To improve your skills in performing a simple trigonometry check, practice using different trigonometric equations and identities, double-check your calculations, and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed.