Trigonometry question: order of operations

In summary, the correct order of operations in trigonometry is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division from left to right, and Addition and Subtraction from left to right). Parentheses are only necessary when there are multiple operations within a single equation, and changing the order of operations will result in an incorrect answer. When dealing with multiple operations in a trigonometry equation, always follow the order of operations, starting with parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction. Not following the order of operations will result in an incorrect answer, as the order of operations ensures the equation is solved in a specific and consistent manner.
tmt1
Hello

I have -csc^2 x

Is this the same as -(cscx)^2 or (-csc x)^2?

Thanks,

Tim

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Trigonometry question

It is the first option. :) If you had $(- \csc (x))^2$ then you'd actually have $\csc^2 (x)$.

Re: Trigonometry question

obrigado

Related to Trigonometry question: order of operations

1. What is the correct order of operations in trigonometry?

The correct order of operations in trigonometry is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

2. Do I always need to use parentheses in trigonometry?

No, parentheses are only necessary when there are multiple operations within a single equation and you want to specify which operations should be done first. If there is only one operation, parentheses are not needed.

3. Can I change the order of operations in trigonometry?

No, the order of operations is a mathematical rule that must be followed in order to get the correct answer. Changing the order of operations will result in an incorrect answer.

4. How do I deal with multiple operations in a trigonometry equation?

You should always follow the order of operations, starting with parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction. If there are multiple operations of the same type, they should be solved from left to right.

5. What happens if I don't follow the order of operations in trigonometry?

If you don't follow the order of operations, you will get an incorrect answer. This is because the order of operations ensures that the equation is solved in a specific and consistent manner, resulting in the correct answer.