Trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology

• Thread starter lark
  • Start date
In summary: The idea of the sheaf cohomology group is that you have an open cover U_\alpha of the manifold, and holomorphic functions f_{\alpha \beta} defined on each intersection U_\alpha\cap U_\beta,, such that on triple intersections f_{\alpha \beta}+f_{\beta \gamma}+f_{\gamma \alpha}=0 (i.e. the f's are a cocycle), and a set of f's is considered equivalent to 0 iff f_{\alpha\beta}=g_\alpha-g_\beta, with g_\alpha analytic on U_\alpha, g_\beta analytic on U_\
lark
What's an example of a set with trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology? I was thinking of subsets of C, and trying to think what would satisfy this.
For example, suppose you covered C by [tex]U_1=re^{i\theta}:r < 2[/tex] and [tex]U_2=re^{i\theta}:r> 1/2.[/tex] Then if [tex]f(z)=1/z[/tex], [tex]\oint_{|r|=1} f(z)\neq 0,[/tex] and he says the contour integral of a function in [tex]U_1\cap U_2[/tex] should be 0. So I don't think subdividing C this way is a good limiting open cover.
But what would be a good limiting open cover, other than just C by itself? One should be able to refine an arbitrary open cover of C into one which has trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology, since C by itself does.
Supposing you covered C by [tex]U_1=z: Re(z) > \pi/2[/tex] and [tex]U_2=z: Re(z) < \pi.[/tex] I don't see how that open cover would have trivial first sheaf cohomology either since [tex]\displaystyle e^{1/ sin(z)}[/tex] would be analytic in [tex]U_1\cap U_2[/tex] and I don't think [tex]e^{1/ sin(z)}[/tex] could be expressed as the sum of a function that's analytic in [tex]U_1[/tex] and a function that's analytic in [tex]U_2.[/tex] So would such an open cover need more refinement? Into what?
What's a good book on it?
Laura

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I follow precisely what is going on (cohomology of which sheaf in particular?), but I'd suggest that simply connectedness is something to think about - if you have C\{0} then there's that standard logarithm thing isn't there.

I guess you mean H^1(O) = {0}. This is true of all connected open sets in C, but not in C^2, as I recall.

the point is whether there exists a function holomorphic in the set which does not extend to a larger connected open set. this is true of all regions in C.

another related problem is whether there is a divisor in that set which is not the zero set of a meromorphic function, but mittag leffler says there is not.

mathwonk said:
I guess you mean H^1(O) = {0}. This is true of all connected open sets in C, but not in C^2, as I recall.
I guess the Mittag-Leffler theorem does say you could express [tex]e^{1/sin(z)}[/tex] as the sum of two functions, one analytic in one half plane, one analytic in the other. It's pretty surprising.
I guess what Penrose says about trivial cohomology meaning that the contour integral is 0 for a function that's a coboundary, doesn't apply to the complex plane.
The idea of the sheaf cohomology group is that you have an open cover [tex]U_\alpha[/tex] of the manifold, and holomorphic functions [tex]f_{\alpha \beta}[/tex] defined on each intersection [tex]U_\alpha\cap U_\beta,[/tex], such that on triple intersections [tex]f_{\alpha \beta}+f_{\beta \gamma}+f_{\gamma \alpha}=0[/tex] (i.e. the [tex]f[/tex]'s are a cocycle), and a set of [tex]f[/tex]'s is considered equivalent to 0 iff [tex]f_{\alpha\beta}=g_\alpha-g_\beta[/tex], with [tex]g_\alpha[/tex] analytic on [tex]U_\alpha[/tex], [tex]g_\beta[/tex] analytic on [tex]U_\beta.[/tex]
Laura

Last edited:
lark said:
I guess the Mittag-Leffler theorem does say you could express [tex]e^{1/sin(z)}[/tex] as the sum of two functions, one analytic in one half plane, one analytic in the other. It's pretty surprising.
Surprising because [tex]e^{1/sin(z)}[/tex] has essential singularities!
[tex]Laura[/tex]

1. What is trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology?

Trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology is a mathematical concept that involves the study of sheaves, which are mathematical objects that capture the local structure of a topological space. In simple terms, it looks at the ways in which local data can be patched together to create a global structure.

2. How does trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology differ from other types of cohomology?

Trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology is specifically concerned with sheaves and their cohomology, whereas other types of cohomology may focus on different mathematical structures or objects. Additionally, trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology has a specific emphasis on holomorphic functions, which are complex-valued functions that are differentiable in a specific way.

3. What are some applications of trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology?

Trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology has several applications in mathematics, particularly in algebraic geometry and complex analysis. It is also used in physics, specifically in the study of string theory and mirror symmetry.

4. How is trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology calculated?

Trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology is calculated using a mathematical tool called cohomology, which involves taking a sequence of mathematical objects and studying how they fit together. In particular, the cohomology of a sheaf is calculated using a sheaf complex, which is a sequence of sheaves and morphisms between them.

5. What are some key properties of trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology?

Trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology has several important properties, including the fact that it is a complex vector space, meaning that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. It also satisfies the long exact sequence property, which allows for the calculation of higher order cohomology groups. Additionally, trivial holomorphic first sheaf cohomology is a fundamental tool in the study of algebraic geometry and complex analysis.