Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals

In summary: I think it's the trivial group. Not just homeomorphic, though. Remember that an isometry must be a diffeomorphism.
Pond Dragon
In the following stackexchange thread, the answerer says that there is a Riemannian metric on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that the isometry group is trivial.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/492892/isometry-group-of-a-manifold

This does not seem correct to me, and I cannot follow what he is saying. Could someone please explain this to me?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, studiosus spoke about half-line, e.g. open interval (0, +∞). You can’t shift it isometrically. Read math.SE answers with more attention, please.

Incnis Mrsi said:
No, studiosus spoke about half-line, e.g. open interval (0, +∞). You can’t shift it isometrically. Read math.SE answers with more attention, please.
This is precisely what I don't follow. [itex](0,+\infty)\cong\mathbb{R}[/itex] as smooth manifolds and, using a diffeomorphism such as [itex]\varphi:\mathbb{R}\to(0,+\infty),~t\mapsto e^t[/itex], [itex](\mathbb{R},\phi^*\mathrm{g})\cong((0,+\infty),\mathrm{g})[/itex] as Riemannian manifolds. Don't isometric manifolds have isomorphic isometry groups?

Diffeomorphic ℝ and (0, +∞) are. Isometric they are not, even up to (constant) rescaling. This is what you don’t follow, but you ought.

Last edited:
Like Incnis said (which refreshed my memory), for an isometry here, using ##\phi(t)=e^t ##, and the standard inner-product in ##\mathbb R ## as plain multiplication, we would need , for all pairs of Reals x,y,
## xy = e^x e^y ##. It may be interesting to show that there is no map ##\phi(t) ## which would give us an isometry; I guess for that we would need to use some invariants for Riemannian metrics, and show that one space satisfies the invariants but the other does not. I can't think of any at this point.

Just wanted to refresh my knowledge; I know this is basic for all.

Incnis Mrsi said:
Diffeomorphic ℝ and (0, +∞) are. Isometric they are not, even up to (constant) rescaling. This is what you don’t follow, but you ought.
Instead of continuing to make snide comments, perhaps you could work to uphold PF's values by actually explaining?

Note that we are talking about Riemannian manifolds with the manifold being [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and the metric being nonstandard. A map [itex]\varphi:(M,\mathrm{g})\to (N,\mathrm{g'})[/itex] is an isometry if and only if [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a diffeomorphism and [itex]\mathrm{g}=\varphi^*\mathrm{g}'[/itex]. If we have a diffeomorphism and define the Riemannian metric to be the pullback, then we automatically have an isometry.

Pond Dragon said:
Instead of continuing to make snide comments, perhaps you could work to uphold PF's values by actually explaining?

Note that we are talking about Riemannian manifolds with the manifold being [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and the metric being nonstandard. A map [itex]\varphi:(M,\mathrm{g})\to (N,\mathrm{g'})[/itex] is an isometry if and only if [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a diffeomorphism and [itex]\mathrm{g}=\varphi^*\mathrm{g}'[/itex]. If we have a diffeomorphism and define the Riemannian metric to be the pullback, then we automatically have an isometry.

But doesn't this imply that given any two diffeomorphic manifolds M,N with diffeomorphism ψ and g is the metric on M, then M,N are isometric by giving N the metric ψ*g ?

WWGD said:
But doesn't this imply that given any two diffeomorphic manifolds M,N with diffeomorphism ψ and g is the metric on M, then M,N are isometric by giving N the metric ψ*g ?
Not quite. We're giving [itex]M[/itex] the pullback metric, so the original metric that we pull back from is the one on [itex]N[/itex].

Pond Dragon said:
Not quite. We're giving [itex]M[/itex] the pullback metric, so the original metric that we pull back from is the one on [itex]N[/itex].

But doesn't the same conclusion then follow? We assign to M the pullback metric ψ*g' given (N,g') and a homeomorphism ψ , then (M,ψ*g') and (N,g') are isometric if they are homeomorphic? Maybe I didn't follow you well, but this seems to imply that any two homeomorphic manifolds are isometric.

WWGD said:
But doesn't the same conclusion then follow? We assign to M the pullback metric ψ*g' given (N,g') and a homeomorphism ψ , then (M,ψ*g') and (N,g') are isometric if they are homeomorphic?
First, yes. Sorry I misinterpreted; that was my fault. It does go both ways, you'd just have to take the inverse of the diffeomorphism. Being isometric is an equivalence relation, after all!

Not just homeomorphic, though. Remember that an isometry must be a diffeomorphism.

I think Riemannian curvature tensor and Gaussian curvature are isometric invariants.

WWGD said:
I think Riemannian curvature tensor and Gaussian curvature are isometric invariants.
See Theorema Egregium.

How does this relate?

Pond Dragon said:
See Theorema Egregium.

How does this relate?

Sorry, just trying to see how to construct diffeomorphisms that are not isometries, by seeing if these diffeomorphisms preserve either the R. Curvature Tensor, and the Gaussian Curvature. I think every diffeomorphism is isotopic ( but not "diffeotopic", i.e., isotopic thru paths of diffeomorphisms ) to an isometry.

I have figured it out. The only Riemannian automorphism (or endo-isometry or...better terminology) of [itex](\mathbb{R},(v_p,w_p)\mapsto e^{2p}v_pw_p)[/itex] is the identity. Thus, the isometry group is trivial.

When a mathematician speaks about real half-line, or (0, +∞), another mathematician understands which metric (and Riemannian metric) are assumed: those inherited for a submanifold of ℝ. A non-crackpot mathematician won’t speak about “ℝ with non-standard metric”, except making special exercises. It defeats the purpose of thinking about such thing as about ℝ. A non-crackpot mathematician will speak as Ī said: ℝ and (0, +∞) are diffeomorphic, but not isometric. In other words: (non-Riemannian) differential geometry doesn’t see any difference between the two, whereas Riemannian geometry does.

Last edited:
Incnis Mrsi said:
When a mathematician speaks about real half-line, or (0, +∞), another mathematician understands which metric (and Riemannian metric) are assumed: those inherited for a submanifold of ℝ. A non-crackpot mathematician won’t speak about “ℝ with non-standard metric”, except making special exercises. It defeats the purpose of thinking about such thing as about ℝ. A non-crackpot mathematician will speak as Ī said: ℝ and (0, +∞) are diffeomorphic, but not isometric. In other words: (non-Riemannian) differential geometry doesn’t see any difference between the two, whereas Riemannian geometry does.
Yes, but I clearly spoke about looking for a Riemannian metric on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that the isometry group is trivial. Thus, I am clearly not talking about the usual metric on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

So, Ī failed to compose initial question and the text at math.SE into one picture (in other words, read the question poorly). IMHO now there is no more miscommunication.

1) What is the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals?

The Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals refers to the set of isometries (distance-preserving transformations) on the real numbers that only consist of the identity transformation, which leaves every point unchanged.

2) How is the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals different from other isometry groups?

Unlike other isometry groups, the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals only contains one element, the identity transformation. This means it does not have any other isometries such as reflections, rotations, or translations.

3) Can the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals be combined with other isometry groups?

No, the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals cannot be combined with other isometry groups because it only contains one element and therefore does not have any other transformations to combine with.

4) What is the significance of the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals?

The Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals is important in the study of geometry and topology because it serves as the starting point for understanding more complex isometry groups. It also helps to distinguish between different types of symmetry and transformations on the real numbers.

5) How does the Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals relate to the concept of symmetry?

The Trivial Isometry Group for the Reals represents the most basic form of symmetry, where no transformation occurs at all. It is the only isometry group that has no symmetry other than the trivial symmetry of leaving everything unchanged.