Trouble programming Arm Cortex M0 (stuck in the reset_handler)

In summary: Debuggers can often interfere with the main program -- I only run them if I have to in order to debug a problem. As jedi asks -- does your program run normally without the debugger overhead?Alternatively, can you strip this program down to bare bones to see if that will run? If it runs, slowly build it back up to see what breaks it. If not, you must have something wrong with your build/run environment, IMO...
core7916
TL;DR Summary
programming arm m0
Hello,
i am programming pga970evm module and the core is of arm cortex m0. the program what i have is building succesfully , but while debugging it is stuck or halting in reset (reset_handler) and not comming out of it (startup code).
i will provide screen shot of debug page.

another thing is i cant access the breakpoints while debugging. while begugging i came to know that controller is not calling the main function since it is not comming out of reset state.
IMG-20230215-WA0005.jpg

as shown in image the reset is happening at resetisr() function(startup code). if i again resume the debug it will continuously stays in same state(reset). i cant share the full code. i have included all necessary files which is required to run.
1. please can you tell me what may cause the micro controller to halt in reset state.?
2. why i cant aces the breakpoints ?
3. in xPSR i am getting exception as 010000 . does this is the reason i am getting this?
Thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
Does the code work when running normally? Perhaps debugging interferes with doing resets.

Have you searched the web for answers? A vendor forum specializing in this processor would be a better place to ask this question.

jedishrfu said:
Does the code work when running normally? Perhaps debugging interferes with doing resets.

Have you searched the web for answers? A vendor forum specializing in this processor would be a better place to ask this question.
hello i already searched in web for this problem and contacted vendors. Their ans were not usefull. I will atach one zip file in which it shows how controller behaves when i am debugging.Please suggest any solutions.
Thank you.

core7916 said:
I will atach one zip file
I'm not sure the PF software will let you upload a ZIP file. Even if it does, it would be bad practice for us to download and unzip it... PDF screenshots are safer.

Also I doubt we can help much here.

We are not experts with this particular device and to run your code, we'd have to install the tools, your code, your hardware and try to reproduce the error. This is why we ask developers to diagnose the problem themselves.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
@core7916 -- What is your experience level so far programming this uP? Have you successfully run many projects in the past, and this is the first one giving you trouble? Or is this your first project on an Arm M0?

jedishrfu said:
Debuggers can often interfere with the main program -- I only run them if I have to in order to debug a problem. As jedi asks -- does your program run normally without the debugger overhead?

Alternatively, can you strip this program down to bare bones to see if that will run? If it runs, slowly build it back up to see what breaks it. If not, you must have something wrong with your build/run environment, IMO...

jedishrfu said:

Have you searched the web for answers? A vendor forum specializing in this processor would be

berkeman said:
@core7916 -- What is your experience level so far programming this uP? Have you successfully run many projects in the past, and this is the first one giving you trouble? Or is this your first project on an Arm M0?Debuggers can often interfere with the main program -- I only run them if I have to in order to debug a problem. As jedi asks -- does your program run normally without the debugger overhead?

Alternatively, can you strip this program down to bare bones to see if that will run? If it runs, slowly build it back up to see what breaks it. If not, you must have something wrong with your build/run environment, IMO...
this is the first project i am working with microcontroller . my coding level is not good. but i am not doubting the code since i got the code from vendors. i didnt made changes to code. i am just giving the breakpoints and trying to observe what is happening inside of controller, which i cant due to above problem(reset).

Do you have the watchdog enabled? The debugger often does not stop it so you have to disable before debugging or you get a reset soon after a breakpoint.

BoB

Likes berkeman
rbelli1 said:
Do you have the watchdog enabled? The debugger often does not stop it so you have to disable before debugging or you get a reset soon after a breakpoint.

BoB
sir, i have already disabled the watchdog timer and tried to debug, still results are same.

You mentioned using stock vendor code for this work. Try searching using a portion of the stock vendor code + using the debugger with this code maybe someone will have run into the same issue. So far, PF posters aren't coming up with anything helpful to your problem.

jedishrfu said:
You mentioned using stock vendor code for this work. Try searching using a portion of the stock vendor code + using the debugger with this code maybe someone will have run into the same issue. So far, PF posters aren't coming up with anything helpful to your problem.
thank you for you reply , i already contacted venders about these issue but not useful with their answers.

I have not used that processor but here are a few ideas:

First, check that the RESET input pin is not asserted! AND that there is not any electrical noise on it.

In the User Manual at:
https:\\www.renesas.com\document\man\idt-arm-cortex-m0-user-guide
See on:
pg 12, sec. 2.2.1.3.4 Program Counter (PC)
pg 94, sec. 2.4.2.4 Application Interrupt and Reset Control Register (AIRCR) and table references contained there-in.

(above user guide was the 4th listed by Google search: arm cortex m0 manual,
the PDF manual was then searched for: reset)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the "reset_handler" in Arm Cortex M0 programming?

The "reset_handler" is a special function that is automatically called when the microcontroller is powered on or reset. It is responsible for initializing the device and setting it up for proper operation.

2. Why am I experiencing trouble programming my Arm Cortex M0 device?

There could be several reasons for this, including incorrect connections, faulty hardware, or issues with the programming software or code. It is important to carefully check all connections and consult the device's datasheet for proper programming procedures.

3. How can I troubleshoot my Arm Cortex M0 programming issue?

The first step is to carefully review your code and check for any errors or potential issues. You can also try resetting the device and ensuring all connections are secure. If the issue persists, consult the device's datasheet or seek help from an experienced programmer.

4. Is there a difference in programming an Arm Cortex M0 device compared to other microcontrollers?

Yes, there may be some differences in the programming process, as the Arm Cortex M0 uses a different instruction set architecture (ISA) compared to other microcontrollers. It is important to refer to the device's datasheet for specific instructions and guidelines.

5. Can I use any programming language to program an Arm Cortex M0 device?

No, the Arm Cortex M0 typically requires programming in a low-level language such as C or assembly. However, there are some high-level languages that can be used, such as MicroPython or CircuitPython, which have specialized libraries for Arm Cortex M0 devices.