Trouble with a separable differential equation

In summary: So the solutions for y are y = +1, y = -1, and y = (Ae^2x -1)/(Ae^2x + 1) for all other values of y. In summary, the equation dy/dx = 1-y^2 can be solved using the method of partial fractions to get three solutions: y = +1, y = -1, and y = (Ae^2x -1)/(Ae^2x + 1).
eric_999
I have this equation: dy/dx = 1-y^2, so then dy/(1-y^2) = dx, so ∫dy/(1-y^2) = dx --->
∫(A/(1+y) + B/(1-y))dy = x + C. I rewrite it again: (A - Ay + B + By)/(1+y)(1-y) = 1/(1+y)(1-y) so I get A+B = 1, and B-A = 0, so B = A, and therefore 2A = 1. so A & B = 1/2.

So 1/2∫(dy/(1+y) + 1/2∫dy/(1-y) = x + C ---> 1/2(ln|1+y| -ln|1-y|) = x + C ---> ln(|1+y|/|1-y|) = 2x + 2c = 2x + C, since C is arbitrary. At last I get |1+y|/|1-y| = e^(2x + c) ?=? |(1+y)/(1-y)| = e^(2x + C). How do I solve for y? Do Ihave to split it up into two separate cases, one when (1+y)/1-y) = e^(2x +C) and one where -(1+y)/(1-y) = e^(2x + C), or is this whole method simply just wrong?

Please help me out!

Physics news on Phys.org
eric_999 said:
I have this equation: dy/dx = 1-y^2, so then dy/(1-y^2) = dx, so ∫dy/(1-y^2) = dx --->
∫(A/(1+y) + B/(1-y))dy = x + C. I rewrite it again: (A - Ay + B + By)/(1+y)(1-y) = 1/(1+y)(1-y) so I get A+B = 1, and B-A = 0, so B = A, and therefore 2A = 1. so A & B = 1/2.

So 1/2∫(dy/(1+y) + 1/2∫dy/(1-y) = x + C ---> 1/2(ln|1+y| -ln|1-y|) = x + C ---> ln(|1+y|/|1-y|) = 2x + 2c = 2x + C, since C is arbitrary. At last I get |1+y|/|1-y| = e^(2x + c) ?=? |(1+y)/(1-y)| = e^(2x + C). How do I solve for y? Do Ihave to split it up into two separate cases, one when (1+y)/1-y) = e^(2x +C) and one where -(1+y)/(1-y) = e^(2x + C), or is this whole method simply just wrong?Please help me out!

You have [tex]
\left|\frac{1 + y}{1 - y}\right| = Ae^{2x}.
[/tex] You will need to deal with the cases [itex]y < -1[/itex], [itex]-1 < y < 1[/itex] and [itex]y > 1[/itex] separately.

Hmm, so if I have |(1+y)/(1-y)|, and I consider case 1, where -1<y<1 I get that |1+y| > 0 and |1-y|> 0, so the whole expression is positive, so then A must be > 0. So then I guess I have (1+y) = (1-y)Ae^2x, so y + yAe^2x = Ae^2x - 1, so y(1 +Ae^2x) = Ae^2x -1 so y = (Ae^2x -1)/(Ae^2x + 1).

When y<-1, (1+y) < 0, so I can write it like|1+y| = -(1+y). (1-y) on the other hand is positive, so |1-y| = (1-y), so then i have -(1+y) = (1-y)Ae^2x, so 1+y = -(Ae^2x - yAe^2x) ---> y = yAe^2x -Ae^2x -1, so y(1-Ae^2x) = -Ae^2x -1 ---> y = -(Ae^2x +1)/-(Ae^2x -1) = (Ae^2x +1)/Ae^2x -1). I dunno, in the book, they say I am going to get y = +1, y = -1, and y = (Ae^2x -1)/(Ae^2x + 1). I can't see how they get y = +-1!

Hmm, so if I have |(1+y)/(1-y)|, and I consider case 1, where -1<y<1 I get that |1+y| > 0 and |1-y|> 0, so the whole expression is positive, so then A must be > 0. So then I guess I have (1+y) = (1-y)Ae^2x, so y + yAe^2x = Ae^2x - 1, so y(1 +Ae^2x) = Ae^2x -1 so y = (Ae^2x -1)/(Ae^2x + 1).

When y<-1, (1+y) < 0, so I can write it like|1+y| = -(1+y). (1-y) on the other hand is positive, so |1-y| = (1-y), so then i have -(1+y) = (1-y)Ae^2x, so 1+y = -(Ae^2x - yAe^2x) ---> y = yAe^2x -Ae^2x -1, so y(1-Ae^2x) = -Ae^2x -1 ---> y = -(Ae^2x +1)/-(Ae^2x -1) = (Ae^2x +1)/Ae^2x -1). I dunno, in the book, they say I am going to get y = +1, y = -1, and y = (Ae^2x -1)/(Ae^2x + 1). I can't see how they get y = +-1!

eric_999 said:

[itex]dy/dx = 0[/itex] when [itex]y = \pm 1[/itex].

Related to Trouble with a separable differential equation

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent and independent variables can be separated into two functions. This allows the equation to be solved by integration.

2. What is the main difficulty in solving a separable differential equation?

The main difficulty in solving a separable differential equation is finding the correct separation of variables. This often requires a deep understanding of the problem and the ability to manipulate the equation into a form that can be integrated.

3. What are some strategies for solving a separable differential equation?

Some strategies for solving a separable differential equation include using the separation of variables method, solving for the constant of integration, and checking for extraneous solutions. It is also helpful to understand the behavior of the solution in the context of the problem.

4. Can a separable differential equation always be solved analytically?

No, not all separable differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may require numerical methods or approximation techniques to find a solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of separable differential equations?

Separable differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve problems involving rates of change. Some examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions.