Trouble with an array program in C

In summary, the conversation discussed the task of writing a function to check if three arrays of integers are identical. Different approaches were suggested, including using for-loops, Boolean variables, and matrix comparison methods. It was also recommended to hardcode some array values or take them from a file for testing purposes. Additionally, it was advised to set up programs for testing in order to save time.
dect117

Homework Statement

Write a function that finds if three arrays of integers are identical. The arrays are identical when they have the same values at the same indices. Below are two samples outputs.
1.PNG
2.PNG

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to compare the arrays using a for-loop. I feel like that's a messy way to go about it but I'm not really sure how else I can make it work. Here's my code.
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#define SIZE 5
int main () {
    int i, x, arr1[SIZE], arr2[SIZE], arr3[SIZE];
    printf ("Array A: ");
    for (i=0; i<SIZE; i++)
        scanf ("%d", &arr1[i]);
    printf ("Array B: ");
    for (i=0; i<SIZE; i++)
        scanf ("%d", &arr2[i]);
    printf ("Array C: ");
    for (i=0; i<SIZE; i++)
        scanf ("%d", &arr3[i]);
    for (i=0; i<SIZE; i++){
        if (arr1[i]==arr2[i] && arr2[i]==arr3[i]) {
            x==1;
        }
        else if(!(arr1[i]==arr2[i] && arr2[i]==arr3[i])) {
            x==2;
            break;
        }
    }
    if (x==1)
        printf ("\nThese arrays are identical!");
    else if (x==2)
        printf ("\nThese arrays are not identical!");
    return 0;
}
It prints "These arrays are identical!" regardless of whether or not that is true. I'm not understanding why it won't work.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 297
Physics news on Phys.org
The statements x==1 and x==2 should be x=1 and x=2.

Also:
the "else if" part is not needed. It can be a simple "else".

I would have declared:
Code:
bool bDifferenceFound;

Then before the comparison loop, I would say:
Code:
bDifferenceFound = false;

Then in the loop:
Code:
  bDifferenceFound = (arr1 != arr2) || (arr2 != arr3);
  if(bDifferenceFound) break;

Last edited:
Look at your syntax for the assignment operators...

Wow, thanks a lot guys! I have to pay more attention.

Since your Question 3 requested alternate forms:
Consider using Boolean variables and tests to simplify logic statements as detailed in response #2.

Since you wrote a "For" loop to input the values into arrays, it seems natural to use more For loops to evaluate the arrays but consider other iteration and matrix comparison methods since your code locates the first mismatch, sets Boolean "false", then dumps the loop.

If your math includes matrix algebra, consider methods to determine if Mat_A = Mat_B for values contained in same dimension matrices.
(Forgive me if I exceed the boundaries of your thread as I'm new to answering homework questions online. --Norm)

It would be easier to hardcode some array values or take them from a file while testing your program - and faster since you won't have to insert values.
Then change it back later.
You could also just check if they are not the same as suggested earlier - and if you never hit that break then they ought to be the same right?
Know I'm a little late but wanted to give some advice for future assignments - setting up programs for testing will save lots and lots of time.

1. What is an array in C?

An array in C is a data structure that stores a collection of values of the same data type in contiguous memory locations. It allows for efficient storage and manipulation of data.

2. How do I declare an array in C?

To declare an array in C, you must specify the data type and the size of the array. For example, to declare an integer array with 5 elements, you would write: int myArray[5];

3. How do I access elements in an array in C?

In C, array elements are accessed using index notation. The index starts at 0, so the first element in the array would be accessed using myArray[0]. You can also use loops to iterate through an array and access each element.

4. What is the most common mistake when working with arrays in C?

The most common mistake when working with arrays in C is accessing or modifying elements outside the bounds of the array. This can lead to unexpected results or even program crashes.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my array program in C?

To troubleshoot issues with an array program in C, you can use debugging tools such as a debugger or print statements to track the values of your array and variables. You can also check for common mistakes such as accessing elements outside the bounds of the array or incorrect data types.