Trouble with units for Spring Constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the units for the spring constant, K, in part a. The speaker initially questions how the units can be N/m when they should cancel out to kg/s^2. However, the other person explains that using N/m conveys a more intuitive understanding of force per unit length. The conversation then goes on to mention different ways of thinking about the units and how they can be simplified for convenience.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
A perfectly elastic spring requires 0.54 J of work to stretch 6 cm from its equilibrium position. (a) What is its spring constant k? (b) How much work is required to stretch it an additional 6 cm? (c) How much work is required to compress the spring 6 cm from its equilibrium position?
Relevant Equations
W=1/2kx^2
I do not understand how in part a, the units for K can be N/m. If Work is in joules which is kg*m^2/s^2 and we are diving by x^2 which is m^2, then m^2 should cancel out and we should be left with kg/s^2.

Kg/s^2 makes more sense because in part b when you find the work done you are multiplying kg/s^2 * m^2 which gives you a joule.

Are the units in the work below incorrect? Or am I wrong in my explanation?

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 9.50.19 PM.png

1616037117567_IMG_20210318_084108.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
1 Newton = 1 kg m / s2 (from F = m a)
1 Newton/m = 1 kg / s2

What's your problem? Using N/m for the spring constant units conveys a more intuitive understanding of force per unit length than kg/s2.

Likes Chestermiller
kuruman said:
1 Newton = 1 kg m / s2 (from F = m a)
1 Newton/m = 1 kg / s2

What's your problem? Using N/m for the spring constant units conveys a more intuitive understanding of force per unit length than kg/s2.
That helps. I am not sure I just didnt correlate kg/s^2 to N/m for some reason. Your explanation makes sense. Thank you.

Likes kuruman
quittingthecult said:
That helps. I am not sure I just didnt correlate kg/s^2 to N/m for some reason. Your explanation makes sense. Thank you.
This crops up in all sorts of combinations, but quite often there are ways of thinking of it that make sense of the variant representations.
Surface tension is force per unit length, or energy per unit area (surface energy).

In the present case, if you were to hang a mass from the spring and let it oscillate, the square of the period would be proportional to the mass, so you could express the spring constant as mass per period squared - though this would differ from the usual definition by a constant factor.

There are only 7 SI base units. All other units are derived units, only existing to simplify things, like 1 Pa is 1 kg/m/s² in SI base units. Similarly, it is a much simpler notation when I say that I have a 1 TB drive compared to a 1000000000000 B drive.

I know that I prefer to buy an electrical outlet rated at 120 V for my house rather than one rated at 120 kg.m²/s³/A (yes, this is equivalent to a volt). It makes life much easier at my local hardware store!

1. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. What are the units for spring constant?

The units for spring constant depend on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit for spring constant is newtons per meter (N/m). In the US customary system, the unit is pounds per inch (lb/in).

3. How do you calculate spring constant?

Spring constant can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. The formula is k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

4. What is the relationship between spring constant and stiffness?

The spring constant and stiffness have a direct relationship. As the spring constant increases, the stiffness of the spring also increases. This means that a higher force is required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance.

5. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material of the spring, the length and thickness of the spring, and the temperature. In some cases, the spring constant may also change due to wear and tear or damage to the spring.