Troubleshooting Basic CGI Script in Python | Tips to Fix 403 Forbidden Error

• Thread starter zakbrown0308
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the person is having in running a basic CGI script written in Python on their own computer. They have configured the document root and URL correctly, but are receiving a 403 forbidden error. They have tried adjusting security settings but are unsure if there is a security measure they are unaware of. The conversation also mentions a potential solution involving accessing Python and any necessary libraries. However, the person is unable to find a specific line in the configuration file and does not have a database like SQL.
zakbrown0308
I'm trying to run a cgi script written in python. Everything is on my own computer. And when I say basic, I really mean basic. It's nothing more then a simple "hello world" statement. I've configured the document root to the right folder "c:/programfiles/apache2". And the url is "localhost:8080/cgi-bin/example.cgi"
But for some reason or another, I just cannot get it to run. It always tells me 403 forbidden error thing, telling me I don't have permission to access that directory on the server. and I have adjusted the security settings to be able to access the file the conventional way (file--> open). Is there some kind of security measure I don't know about? Please help.

Technology news on Phys.org
I've never tried Apache in Windows, but this might provide some clues:

http://my.opera.com/NoteMe/blog/running-python-as-cgi-in-apache-in-windows

Other things to check (I'm just guessing here) would be that you can get at Python proper, not just the script itself. IE, your webserver needs to be able to have access to the Python executable AND the script that you're running (plus any other libraries).

DaveE

Doesn't seem to be working. I can't find the #ScriptInterpreterSource Registry line in the configuration file. Also, I don't really have a database like SQL. Are those strictly necessary?

1. What is CGI?

CGI stands for Common Gateway Interface. It is a standard protocol for web servers to communicate with external programs and scripts, allowing dynamic content to be generated and displayed on a webpage.

2. How does CGI work?

When a user requests a webpage with CGI content, the web server sends the request to a CGI program or script. The program processes the request, generates the necessary content, and sends it back to the server, which then displays it on the webpage.

3. What programming languages can be used for CGI?

CGI can be programmed in any language that can read and write to standard input/output and environment variables. Some popular languages for CGI include Perl, Python, and PHP.

4. What is the difference between CGI and other web development technologies?

Unlike other web development technologies, CGI involves running external programs or scripts to generate content, rather than using server-side scripting languages like JavaScript or server-side frameworks like Ruby on Rails. This makes it more flexible and customizable, but also potentially slower and less secure.

5. Are there any security concerns with CGI?

Yes, there are potential security risks with CGI, as it involves running external programs or scripts on a server. It is important to carefully validate and sanitize user input to prevent malicious attacks, such as cross-site scripting or code injection.