Troubleshooting Idle Flutter Noise in a Mini Cooper | Engine Noise Fix

• Automotive
  • Thread starter DrChef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    noise
In summary, the speaker is experiencing a strong fluttering noise from the tailpipe of their Mini Cooper while idling, especially with the air conditioning on. They describe the noise as an impulsive, high frequency sound, occurring at a rate of 20 pulses per second. They speculate that the noise may be coming from the engine rather than the exhaust and are seeking advice on the possible cause and solution. Some suggestions are made, including a slipping belt and the possibility of normal pulsations at the firing frequency. The speaker also mentions that the noise is not as pleasant as the idle impulsiveness typically heard in sporty cars.
DrChef
Hello guys,

I am currently having an annoying issue with my Mini Cooper (1.5-liter 3-cylinder TwinPower Turbo).
When I leave it idling, above all when the air conditioning on, I can spot a strong fluttering noise clearly audible from the tailpipe.
It could be described as an impulsive noise, mainly high frequency content, counting about 20 pulses per second (my car revs at about 900rpm at idle).
I strongly doubt it is generated by the exhaust itself, even if I can hear it from the tailpipe. I think the exhaust is acting just an amplifier, getting this noise directly from the engine where it could be originated...
Did any of you experience this issue? Any idea/thought on what the root cause could be and how can I fix it?
Could it be calibration related (e.g. valve timing or other engine settings)?

Thank you

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a slipping belt?

anorlunda said:
How about a slipping belt?

Mmm, that wouldn't occur at the main engine firing order, and anyway I couldn't explain why a slipping belt would generate a pulsation at the tailpipe.
I think it's more something to do with the combustion process or downstream the exhaust valves...

Sounds like something is loose and is vibrating at it's natural frequency. You will need to do more than listen to the tail pipe and hypothesize. Listen in other places. Use a wooden dowel with one end against your ear and the other pressed up against various places.

22Hz is firing frequency at 900rpm. AC increases engine load. So this could very well be normal. Really impossible to tell without actually hearing it.

xxChrisxx said:
22Hz is firing frequency at 900rpm. AC increases engine load. So this could very well be normal. Really impossible to tell without actually hearing it.
Exactly, I think it's normal having pulsations at the tailpipe in every car because it's how a IC engine works, you will always have gas pulses at the firing frequency. The question is why some engines produce higher pulsations than others... what are the main things that can mostly contribute to this phenomenon?
I am interested to understand this from the physical point of view (of course).

By my calculation, at 900 rpm each cylinder fires at a rate of 450 pulses per minute x 3 cylinders = 1350 pulses per minute / 60 = 22.50 pulses per second.

Did someone put a stone up there?

Likes Tom.G
JBA said:
By my calculation, at 900 rpm each cylinder fires at a rate of 450 pulses per minute x 3 cylinders = 1350 pulses per minute / 60 = 22.50 pulses per second.

Yes that's correct. That's why I said that this pulsation frequency would be expected. The problem is understanding why it results into a high frequency flutter noise.

It may be that it is the sudden discharge of the cylinder exhaust gas. I can't say specifically what the mechanism is; but, what you are experiencing doesn't seem to be much different that the flutter that is is heard in the extreme case from a single cylinder engine at low rpm's. By "high frequency" are referring to the pitch or sharpness of the sound you are hearing vs its pulse frequency?

JBA said:
It may be that it is the sudden discharge of the cylinder exhaust gas. I can't say specifically what the mechanism is; but, what you are experiencing doesn't seem to be much different that the flutter that is is heard in the extreme case from a single cylinder engine at low rpm's. By "high frequency" are referring to the pitch or sharpness of the sound you are hearing vs its pulse frequency?

Thank you for your reply. High frequency I mean a broadband noise mainly above 500Hz. Usually in sporty cars you can hear this idle impulsiveness at low frequency, and that's normal and pleasant. The problem is that the high frequency content makes is sound like a tractor and it's not so nice to experience...

1. What is idle flutter noise in a Mini Cooper?

Idle flutter noise in a Mini Cooper is a common issue where the engine makes a high-pitched or whining sound when the car is in idle mode. It can be caused by a variety of factors, including worn-out belts, faulty pulleys, or a damaged air intake system.

2. How do I know if my Mini Cooper has idle flutter noise?

You may notice a high-pitched or whining sound coming from the engine when your Mini Cooper is in idle mode. This noise may become more noticeable when the car is first started or when the AC is turned on. If you are experiencing this type of noise, it is likely that your car has idle flutter noise.

3. Can idle flutter noise cause damage to my Mini Cooper?

In most cases, idle flutter noise will not cause any damage to your Mini Cooper. However, it can be a sign of underlying issues that may need to be addressed to prevent further damage. It is best to have your car inspected by a mechanic if you are experiencing idle flutter noise.

4. How can I fix idle flutter noise in my Mini Cooper?

The first step in fixing idle flutter noise is to identify the source of the problem. This may require a mechanic's assistance or diagnostic tools. Once the source is identified, it can be repaired or replaced. Common solutions include replacing worn-out belts, tightening loose pulleys, or cleaning the air intake system.

5. Can I prevent idle flutter noise in my Mini Cooper?

While idle flutter noise can be a sign of underlying issues, there are some preventative measures you can take to minimize the chances of it occurring. Regular maintenance, such as replacing belts and checking for loose pulleys, can help prevent idle flutter noise. Additionally, keeping your air intake system clean can also help prevent this issue.