Troubleshooting Nuclear Reactions: Decay, Gamma Rays & More

In summary: Correction:The way to find out how much ##^{116m}##In was formed in 10 minutes is to measure how many decays to Sn took place in 120 minutes.sorry about that. So the path is1 flux ##\rightarrow## parents ##^{116m}##In2 parents ##^{116m}_{\ \ 49}##In ##\rightarrow## ##\beta, \gamma## decay product ##^{116}_{\ \ 50}##SnThe daughter does not capture a neutron from the parent. The daughter undergoes beta decay (i.e. one neutron emits an electron and becomes a proton) yielding an excited state of the ##^{116}_{\ \ 50}##Sn
Graham87
Homework Statement
See pictures
Relevant Equations
See pictures
The problem comes with solutions. However, I dont get the 3 steps in the solutions. Why do they calculate decay for 120min in step 3? And why is only the daughter nuclide relevant and no granddaughter? There might be something lacking in my knowledge about nuclear reactions.
Also, I don't know what to use with the information "most likely gamma ray" in the question. I know it is gamma37, but what should I derive from knowing that?

Thanks!
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Graham87 said:
1 Why do they calculate decay for 120min in step 3?
2 And why is only the daughter nuclide relevant and no granddaughter?
3 Also, I don't know what to use with the information "most likely gamma ray" in the question. I know it is gamma37, but what should I derive from knowing that?
1. It says so in the problem statement : they measure from 5 to 125 min
2. that last one does not decay
3. Its probability (yield) is used to divide by

And you'll learn about decay processes by doing exercises like this.. :smile:

##\ ##

Likes Graham87
BvU said:
1. It says so in the problem statement : they measure from 5 to 125 min
2. that last one does not decay
3. Its probability (yield) is used to divide by

And you'll learn about decay processes by doing exercises like this.. :smile:

##\ ##
Regarding to calculate the fluence rate of the neutrons: how does the process of the neutrons in the reaction work? Are there neutrons decaying from the daughter particle? I cant see it. According to the reaction table the neutrons are coming from the parent particle 115(In) + n ? The daughter 116m(In) is an excited state but has no neutron decay?

So if we want to calculate the fluence rate of neutrons, why does the solution calculate the decay of the daughter, if it includes no neutrons?
Or does the daughter decay actually contribute neutrons? In that case I think I'm getting it :)

Neutrons don't play a role in the decay process that is described, only in the formation of the ##^{115}##In .
The flux of incoming neutrons is determined from the amount of ##^{115}##In that is found and the cross section.

##\ ##

Likes Graham87
Oh, ok. I don't get step 3 - calculate the decay of the daughter for t3. What do we need that for to find the flux if the flux is from the incoming neutrons in the parent?

Thanks for the replies!

Likes berkeman
Graham87 said:
Oh, ok. I don't get step 3 - calculate the decay of the daughter for t3. What do we need that for to find the flux if the flux is from the incoming neutrons in the parent?
The way to find out how much ##^{115}##In was formed in 10 minutes is to measure how many decays to Sn took place in 120 minutes.
Thanks for the replies!
You are welcome; that's what PF is for...

Likes Graham87
BvU said:
The way to find out how much ##^{115}##In was formed in 10 minutes is to measure how many decays to Sn took place in 120 minutes.
You are welcome; that's what PF is for...
Aha, that clears it. But how is that so? So this is because the radioactive decay is proportional to the number of daughter isotopes, which in turn is proportional to the neutron flux rate since the daughter captures neutrons from the parent?
I think I got most of it now!
Big thanks! Really appreciate it.

Likes BvU
One more small detail:

Looking at your solution step 1 I am puzzled by step 1. I think
1682692129807.png
is wrong:
$$\begin{align*}
{{\rm d} N_D\over {\rm d} t}&= \dot\Phi\sigma N_P - \lambda N_D \\ \ \\
{{\rm d} (e^{\lambda t} N_D )\over {\rm d} t}&= \lambda e^{\lambda t} N_D + e^{\lambda t} {{\rm d} N_D\over {\rm d} t} \\ \ \\
& = \lambda e^{\lambda t} N_D + e^{\lambda t} \dot\Phi\sigma N_P - e^{\lambda t} \lambda N_D \\ \ \\
& = e^{\lambda t} \dot\Phi\sigma N_P \tag 1
\end{align*}
$$and not ##\left (\dot\Phi\sigma N_P - \lambda N_D\right ) e^{\lambda t} ## as the solution states...

And then the next line in the solution follows from integrating left and right of ##(1)## from ##t=0## to ##t=t_1## :
we get $$\begin{align*}
e^{\lambda t_1} N_D(t_1) &= {\dot\Phi\sigma N_P\over \lambda} \ \left (e^{\lambda t_1} - 1\right ) \Leftrightarrow \\ \ \\
N_D(t_1) &= {\dot\Phi\sigma N_P\over \lambda} \ \left (1-e^{-\lambda t_1} \right )
\end{align*}
$$

Likes Graham87
Graham87 said:
Aha, that clears it. But how is that so? So this is because the radioactive decay is proportional to the number of daughter isotopes, which in turn is proportional to the neutron flux rate since the daughter captures neutrons from the parent?

Correction:
BvU said:
The way to find out how much ##^{116m}##In was formed in 10 minutes is to measure how many decays to Sn took place in 120 minutes.
sorry about that. So the path is
1 flux ##\rightarrow## parents ##^{116m}##In
2 parents ##^{116m}_{\ \ 49}##In ##\rightarrow## ##\beta, \gamma## decay product ##^{116}_{\ \ 50}##Sn

The daughter does not capture a neutron from the parent. The daughter undergoes beta decay (i.e. one neutron emits an electron and becomes a proton) yielding an excited state of the ##^{116}_{\ \ 50}##Sn
This nucleus loses energy by emitting a gamma (photon)

##\ ##

Likes Graham87

1. What is nuclear decay and how does it occur?

Nuclear decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation. It occurs when the nucleus of an atom is unstable and tries to become more stable by releasing particles or energy. This can happen through three types of decay: alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay.

2. What are gamma rays and how are they produced in nuclear reactions?

Gamma rays are high-energy electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from the nucleus of an atom during gamma decay. They are produced when a nucleus releases excess energy in order to become more stable. This can happen after alpha or beta decay, or as a result of a nuclear reaction.

3. How can we troubleshoot nuclear reactions?

Troubleshooting nuclear reactions involves identifying and addressing any issues that may arise during the process. This can include monitoring the reaction for unexpected changes in radiation levels, adjusting the conditions of the reaction to ensure it is proceeding as desired, and taking precautions to prevent accidents or malfunctions.

4. What are some common challenges in troubleshooting nuclear reactions?

Some common challenges in troubleshooting nuclear reactions include maintaining a stable reaction, preventing unwanted side reactions, and ensuring proper safety protocols are followed. Other challenges may arise due to equipment malfunctions, human error, or unexpected changes in the environment.

5. How can we ensure the safety of a nuclear reaction?

Ensuring the safety of a nuclear reaction involves following strict protocols and procedures, using proper shielding and protective equipment, and monitoring the reaction closely for any unexpected changes. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the materials and processes involved in the reaction, as well as emergency plans in case of accidents or malfunctions.