Troubleshooting Seldon Package Compiling Error in Visual Studio 2010

• Thread starter AIR&SPACE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary: The errors are suggesting that you should include the LAPACK++ header file. In summary, there are errors occurring while trying to compile a test project in Visual Studio 2010, specifically while testing the Seldon package. These include undefined user-defined types and a fatal error referencing a missing header file. To fix this, the appropriate header file for LAPACK++ should be included in the project's Include path.
AIR&SPACE
I'm having some difficulty compiling a test project within Visual Studio 2010. I'm trying to test the Seldon package, but keep getting errors during build.

Specific errors I'm getting include (and vary between):
Code:
// Headers from CLAPACK, downloaded at http://www.netlib.org/clapack/.

// Modifications (by Vivien Mallet):
// Replacements:
//    integer       --> LAPACK_INTEGER
//    real          --> LAPACK_REAL
//    doublereal    --> LAPACK_DOUBLEREAL
//    complex       --> LAPACK_COMPLEX
//    doublecomplex --> LAPACK_DOUBLECOMPLEX
//    logical       --> LAPACK_LOGICAL
//    L_fp          --> LAPACK_L_FP
//    ftnlen        --> LAPACK_FTNLEN

#ifndef __CLAPACK_H
#define __CLAPACK_H

/* Subroutine */ int cbdsqr_(char *uplo, LAPACK_INTEGER *n, LAPACK_INTEGER *ncvt, LAPACK_INTEGER *
			     nru, LAPACK_INTEGER *ncc, LAPACK_REAL *d__, LAPACK_REAL *e, LAPACK_COMPLEX *vt, LAPACK_INTEGER *ldvt, 
			     LAPACK_COMPLEX *u, LAPACK_INTEGER *ldu, LAPACK_COMPLEX *c__, LAPACK_INTEGER *ldc, LAPACK_REAL *rwork, 
			     LAPACK_INTEGER *info);

Code:
Error: identifier "LAPACK_INTEGER" is undefined
Error: identifier "LAPACK_REAL" is undefined
Error: identifier "LAPACK_COMPLEX" is undefined
etc.

To counter this I #include 'd LAPACK++ and receive this error:
Code:
arch.h(14): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'generic.h': No such file or directory

Contents of arch.h are:
Code:
//      LAPACK++ (V. 1.1)
//      (C) 1992-1996 All Rights Reserved.

// Linkage names between C, C++, and Fortran (platform dependent)

#ifndef _ARCH_H_
#define _ARCH_H_

#if  defined(RIOS) && !defined(CLAPACK)
#define F77NAME(x) x
#else
#include <generic.h> 
#define F77NAME(x) name2(x,_)
#endif

#if defined(SGI) && !defined(SGI_DEC)
#define SGI_DEC

extern "C" {
	void mkidxname() {}
	void mkdatname() {}
}
#endif

#endif // _ARCH_H_

I've nearly given up trying to get this to build, just thought I'd see if maybe there was a quick, KISS, you're an idiot... fix to whatever my problem is. Win7 -- Windows Visual Studio 2010

Technology news on Phys.org
The "identifier not found" errors indicate that you should include the header. Probably that header, in turn, uses generic.h, which the compiler cannot find.
Try putting the path at which you downloaded the header files in the Include path (Project -> <Project> properties -> Configuration Properties -> VC++ Directories -> Include Directories -> click the dropdown and <Edit...>).

Likes 1 person
That's the thing, though... there is no generic.h I've googled it and get two different generic.h 's :
http://www.hexcodes.org/tools/netcat/Netcat/generic.h
https://github.com/vlfeat/vlfeat/blob/master/vl/generic.h

but there's nothing that makes me believe that either is the 'generic.h' that arch.h within LAPACK is 'looking' for...

The following error is generated because these "user defined types" are not defined in the file. So you need to include whatever header file defines these types.

identifier "LAPACK_INTEGER" is undefined
Error: identifier "LAPACK_REAL" is undefined
Error: identifier "LAPACK_COMPLEX" is undefined

You should probably check the library documentation to find out what header file you should include.

It appears that you are trying to compile a test project for the Seldon package in Visual Studio 2010, but are encountering errors related to the LAPACK library. LAPACK is a linear algebra library that is commonly used in scientific computing applications.

The first thing to check is that you have properly included the LAPACK library in your project. This can typically be done by adding the appropriate include directories and linking the corresponding library files. You may also need to specify the compiler options for your project to properly use the LAPACK library.

The specific errors you are getting indicate that the compiler cannot find the definitions for the LAPACK data types. This could be due to a missing or incorrect include statement, or a problem with the LAPACK library itself.

Another potential issue could be the use of different naming conventions between C, C++, and Fortran in your code. The arch.h file you have provided suggests that there may be some platform-specific naming conventions that need to be accounted for.

I would recommend double-checking your include statements and compiler options, and also checking the documentation for the Seldon package to see if there are any specific instructions for compiling on Visual Studio 2010. If you continue to encounter difficulties, you may also want to reach out to the developers of the Seldon package for assistance.

What is the cause of the Seldon package compiling error in Visual Studio 2010?

The most common cause of this error is a compatibility issue between the Seldon package and Visual Studio 2010. Seldon packages are designed to work with newer versions of Visual Studio, so they may not be compatible with the 2010 version.

How can I fix the Seldon package compiling error?

There are a few potential solutions for this error. One option is to upgrade to a newer version of Visual Studio that is compatible with the Seldon package. Alternatively, you can try installing any necessary updates or patches for Visual Studio 2010. If those options do not work, you may need to reach out to the developers of the Seldon package for assistance.

Is there a way to check for compatibility before attempting to compile the Seldon package?

Yes, you can check the system requirements for the Seldon package before attempting to compile it. This will help you determine if your version of Visual Studio is compatible. Additionally, you can reach out to the developers of the Seldon package for information on compatibility with specific versions of Visual Studio.

Are there any known workarounds for the Seldon package compiling error in Visual Studio 2010?

Some users have reported success using a virtual machine to run a newer version of Visual Studio, while still using Visual Studio 2010 for their other projects. However, this workaround may not be feasible for all users and may not work for all Seldon packages.

Is there any support available for troubleshooting this error?

Yes, the developers of the Seldon package may offer support for troubleshooting this error. You can reach out to them through their website or support forums to see if they can provide any assistance. Additionally, there may be online communities or forums where other users have shared their experiences and potential solutions for this error.