True/False Questions about Capacitance

• Thread starter P1nkButt3rflys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary: Thank you for the clarification! In summary, despite some initial mistakes, the charges on the two plates of a capacitor are equal but opposite, capacitance is the property of a device that enables it to store electric charge, the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is inversely proportional to the separation of the plates, charge is stored in the dielectric medium between the plates of a capacitor, and adding a dielectric between the plates of an air capacitor increases its capacitance.
P1nkButt3rflys
Answer true/false to the following statements about parallel-plate capacitors.

1) The charges on the two plates of a capacitor are equal.
2) Capacitance is the property of a device that enables it to store current.
3) The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is proportional to the separation of the plates.
4) Charge is stored in the dielectric medium between the plates of a capacitor.
5) Adding a dielectric between the plates of an air capacitor decreases its capacitance.

So far:

1) False -charges on the two plates of a capacitor are equal BUT OPPOSITE.
2) False - ... enables it to store ELECTRIC CHARGE
3) False - capacitance is INVERSELY proportional to the separation of the plates.
4) True
5) False - adding a dielectric between the plates INCREASES its capacitance.

All incorrect answers I've tried: FFFTF, FTFFF, FTFTF, FTFTT, TFFTF, TTFFF, TTFTF, TTFTT

I've tried 8 different answers to no avail. I keep thinking I am interpreting the questions wrong.
If anyone can explain any of my errors I would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out after looking at it again.

4) Is false when I assumed it was True.

All answers are False :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this regardless!

As there are just 32 possible answers, I wonder how many attempts you have (apparently at least 9).

15 attempts are allowed.

I'm glad I was able to figure it out and understand the reasoning behind each one.

It seems like you are interpreting the questions correctly, but here are some explanations for each statement:

1) False - As you mentioned, the charges on the two plates of a capacitor are equal but opposite. One plate will have a positive charge and the other will have a negative charge.

2) False - Capacitance is the ability of a device to store electric charge, not current. Current is the flow of charge.

3) False - The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is actually directly proportional to the separation of the plates. This means that as the separation increases, the capacitance also increases.

4) True - Charge is stored in the dielectric medium between the plates of a capacitor. The dielectric material helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor.

5) False - Adding a dielectric material between the plates of an air capacitor actually increases its capacitance. This is because the dielectric material helps to reduce the electric field between the plates, allowing more charge to be stored on the plates.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electrical charge. It is measured in units of farads (F) and is determined by the material, geometry, and distance between conductors.

2. What is the difference between true and false capacitance?

True capacitance refers to the actual capacitance of a system, while false capacitance refers to parasitic capacitance that occurs due to unintentional interactions between conductors or components.

3. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage. It can also be calculated by multiplying the dielectric constant of a material by the area of the plates and dividing by the distance between them.

4. How does capacitance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Capacitance can affect the behavior of a circuit in several ways. It can store and release electrical energy, filter out certain frequencies, and cause a delay in the transmission of signals.

5. How can capacitance be increased or decreased?

Capacitance can be increased by increasing the surface area of conductors or by decreasing the distance between them. It can be decreased by using materials with a lower dielectric constant or by increasing the distance between conductors.