True/false units,amounts of plane figures

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: Can someone try explain for me what i am doing wrong, i get (a) is correct i get (b) is false cause e don't got parallel sides, (c) is false cause e is none parallel sides, (D) is correct and (e) is false cause e is none parallelLet's start with (a) B U C= D.So those are the diamonds (B) together with the rectangles (C).And the question is whether that matches with the parallelograms (D).Well, a diamond is a parallelogram, so that's okay.A rectangle is a parellelogram, so that's okay too.
Petrus
Consider the following amounts of plane figures: A = {All squares}, B = {all diamonds}, C = {all rectangles}, D = {all parallelograms}, E = {all trapezoidal with three equal sides}, F = {all trapezoidal with at least a straight corner angle}. Examine which of the following statements are true. Reply with the letter R (true) or F (false).
__________ (a) B U C= D
__________ (b) D ∩ F= C
__________ (c) D ∩ E= B
_________ (d) F "subset" D U E
__________ (e) E ∩ F= B ∩ C

Any advice?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, Petrus!

Examine which of the following statements are true.
Reply with the letter T (true) or F (false).

__________ (a)
__________ (b)
__________ (c)
__________ (d)
__________ (e) Any advice?

Yes . . . Give us the statements!

soroban said:
Hello, Petrus!

Yes . . . Give us the statements!
Sorry did not notice! I fixed it now!

Can you begin by stating the definitions of the various plane figures given?

For example, with reference to (a), is it true that all diamonds and all rectangles are parallelograms? Or are the any parallelograms that are NOT diamond or rectangles? To answer that, obviously, you need to know the definitions of "diamond", "rectangle", and "parallelograms".

Re: Plane figures

By “diamonds” you mean rhombuses, right?

MarkFL said:
Can you begin by stating the definitions of the various plane figures given?
Romb:eek:ppisite side parallel and its quadrilateral.
Rectangle: its quadrilateral and its 90 degree on corner.
Paralellograms: is a romb,square and rectangle. Quadrilateral
Trapezoid: quadraliteral, paralellograms,rectangle, romb, square ( its a isoceles trapezoid)
square: quadraliteral , same lengt all side, 90 degree, specialfall romb rectangle paralellograms,trapezoid

- - - Updated - - -

Nehushtan said:
Yes

Last edited:
Can someone try explain for me what i am doing wrong, i get (a) is correct i get (b) is false cause e don't got parallel sides, (c) is false cause e is none parallel sides, (D) is correct and (e) is false cause e is none parallel

Petrus said:
Consider the following amounts of plane figures: A = {All squares}, B = {all diamonds}, C = {all rectangles}, D = {all parallelograms}, E = {all trapezoidal with three equal sides}, F = {all trapezoidal with at least a straight corner angle}. Examine which of the following statements are true. Reply with the letter R (true) or F (false).
__________ (a) B U C= D
__________ (b) D ∩ F= C
__________ (c) D ∩ E= B
_________ (d) F "subset" D U E
__________ (e) E ∩ F= B ∩ C

Any advice?

Petrus said:
Can someone try explain for me what i am doing wrong, i get (a) is correct i get (b) is false cause e don't got parallel sides, (c) is false cause e is none parallel sides, (D) is correct and (e) is false cause e is none parallel

Hi Petrus! :)

Let's see, your sets look visually like:
Code:
A
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0) rectangle (1,1);
\end{tikzpicture}

B
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0)-- (1,0) -- (1.707,0.707) -- (0.707,0.707) -- (0,0);
\end{tikzpicture}

C
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0) rectangle (3,1);
\end{tikzpicture}

D
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0)-- (3,0) -- (4,1) -- (1,1) -- (0,0);
\end{tikzpicture}

E
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0)-- (2.414,0) -- (1.707,0.707) -- (0.707,0.707) -- (0,0);
\end{tikzpicture}

F
\begin{tikzpicture}
\draw (0,0)-- (3,0) -- (3,0.707) -- (0.707,0.707) -- (0,0);
\end{tikzpicture}

Oh sorry, tikzpictures do not work yet.
(Just practicing, just in case they will work someday. ;))

View attachment 696

Let's start with (a) B U C= D.
So those are the diamonds (B) together with the rectangles (C).
And the question is whether that matches with the parallelograms (D).

Well, a diamond is a parallelogram, so that's okay.
A rectangle is a parellelogram, so that's okay too.
But... a generic parallelogram is neither a diamond nor a rectangle.

So no, (a) is not correct. It is false.

Attachments

• geometric_figures.png
    geometric_figures.png
    867 bytes · Views: 30
  • geometric_figures.png
    geometric_figures.png
    820 bytes · Views: 25
Last edited:
Re: Plane figures

Petrus said:
Nehushtan said:
Yes
Okay. I just wanted to be sure that you were not referring to kites. (A kite is a convex quadrilateral whose diagonals intersect at right angles.) (Smile)

What are true/false units?

True/false units, also known as boolean units, are a type of data type used in computer science and mathematics. They can only have two values: true or false. These units are commonly used in logic and decision-making processes.

What are amounts of plane figures?

Amounts of plane figures refer to the number or quantity of geometric shapes that lie on a flat surface, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. These shapes can include triangles, circles, squares, and more complex figures.

How are true/false units and amounts of plane figures related?

There is no direct relationship between true/false units and amounts of plane figures. However, both concepts are commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations and can be used together in various applications.

What are some examples of true/false units in real-life situations?

True/false units can be found in everyday situations, such as answering yes or no questions, making decisions based on certain criteria, and determining the validity of a statement or hypothesis. They are also used in computer programming for conditional statements and loops.

How can amounts of plane figures be measured or calculated?

The measurement or calculation of amounts of plane figures depends on the specific figure in question. For simple shapes, such as squares or circles, their area can be calculated using known formulas. For more complex figures, techniques such as breaking them down into smaller shapes or using calculus may be necessary.