Writing some ZF axioms with FOL symbols

In summary, the axioms of set theory define the fundamental rules and properties of sets, including the extension axiom which states that sets with the same elements are equal, the empty set axiom which guarantees the existence of an empty set, the pair set axiom which allows for the creation of a set containing two given sets, the union axiom which defines the union of sets, the power set axiom which creates a set containing all subsets of a given set, the regularity axiom which ensures that every set has at least one element, and the comprehension axiom which allows for the creation of sets based on a given property. These axioms serve as the foundation for all of set theory.
plum356
Homework Statement
Write the following axioms in the language of FOL.
Relevant Equations
The symbols used in FOL.
The axioms:
1.png
2.png

My work:
Extension:$$\forall x\forall y,\,(x=y)\iff(\forall z,\,(z\in x\iff z\in y))$$
Empty Set:$$\exists x|\forall y,\,\neg(y\in x)$$
Pair Set:$$\forall c\forall d,\,\exists e|(c\in e)\wedge(d\in e)\wedge[\forall f,\,\neg((f=c)\vee(f=d))\implies\neg(f\in e)]$$
If you consider any two sets ##c## and ##d##, there is a set (pair set) ##e## such that:
  1. Both ##c## and ##d## are in ##e##.
  2. If you consider any set, then if it is not the case that it is ##c## or ##d##, then it is not in ##e##.
Union:$$\forall d,\,\exists e|\forall c,\,(c\in d)\implies(\forall f,\,(f\in c)\implies(f\in e))$$
##\forall c## selects the sets in ##d##, and ##\forall f## selects the sets in those ##c## and adds them to ##e## (the union).
Power Set:$$\forall d\,\exists e|\forall c,\,(c\in d)\implies(c\in d)$$
I am not very sure about this one. Specifically, I am not set on how I should express "subset" of ##d##. However, since a subset is a set and ##\forall c## is selecting all of the sets, then it should also select the subsets in ##d##.
Regularity:$$\forall d,\,\text{either }(\forall y\,\neg(y\in d)),\text{ or }\exists e|(e\in d)\wedge(\forall y,\,(y\in e)\implies\neg(y\in d))$$
I am a bit uneasy about this one. If I say that ##e\in d## is true, then how can it be the case that ##(y\in e)\implies\neg(y\in d)##? If a set is in another, then should it be the case that its elements are also in its parent?
I used "either or" for ##(x\wedge\neg y)\vee(\neg x\wedge y)## (exclusive or).
Comprehension:$$\forall d,\,\exists e|\forall c,\,((c\in d)\wedge\varphi(c))\implies(c\in e)$$

If you could just give me hints or counterexamples instead of flat out correct my mistakes, it would be perfect. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
plum356 said:
The symbols used in FOL.
I guess this acronym expands to first order logic, but I'm not sure that every reader would be able to figure this out. You shouldn't assume that everyone understands somewhat obscure acronyms.

You posted a lot of fairly dense symbolism, not all of which I've taken the time to parse. Here are a couple of comments on two of your entries.

First, in my experience, sets are often written in capital letters, and elements of sets in lowercase letters. For example, we can denote an element x of a set named X as ##x \in X##. Your use of lowercase letters for both sets and set elements makes the symbolism more difficult to parse, and your lack of distinction between sets and elements of sets makes your explanations harder to understand.
Second, use ##\in## for "element of" and ##\subset## or ##\subseteq## for set containment.
plum356 said:
Union:$$\forall d,\,\exists e|\forall c,\,(c\in d)\implies(\forall f,\,(f\in c)\implies(f\in e))$$
##\forall c## selects the sets in ##d##, and ##\forall f## selects the sets in those ##c## and adds them to ##e## (the union).
I'll just tackle your explanation here.
##\forall c## selects the sets elements of set D, and likewise for elements f of set C.
Given two sets A and B, if a is an element of A, and b is an element of B, then a is in element of C and b is an element of C. I.e., ##a \in A \cup B \land b \in A \cup B##
In symbols: ##\exists C | a \in A \land b \in B \implies a \in C \land b \in C##
plum356 said:
Power Set:$$\forall d\,\exists e|\forall c,\,(c\in d)\implies(c\in d)$$
I am not very sure about this one. Specifically, I am not set on how I should express "subset" of ##d##. However, since a subset is a set and ##\forall c## is selecting all of the sets, then it should also select the subsets in ##d##.
The notation often used for the power set of a set A is P(A). So, given a set A, if ##B \subseteq A##, then ##B \subset P(A)##. Alternatively, you could talk about elements of a given subset of A (there's always a subset), and that element will also be an element of P(A).

Mark44 said:
I guess this acronym expands to first order logic, but I'm not sure that every reader would be able to figure this out. You shouldn't assume that everyone understands somewhat obscure acronyms.

You posted a lot of fairly dense symbolism, not all of which I've taken the time to parse. Here are a couple of comments on two of your entries.

First, in my experience, sets are often written in capital letters, and elements of sets in lowercase letters. For example, we can denote an element x of a set named X as ##x \in X##. Your use of lowercase letters for both sets and set elements makes the symbolism more difficult to parse, and your lack of distinction between sets and elements of sets makes your explanations harder to understand.
Second, use ##\in## for "element of" and ##\subset## or ##\subseteq## for set containment.

I'll just tackle your explanation here.
##\forall c## selects the sets elements of set D, and likewise for elements f of set C.
Given two sets A and B, if a is an element of A, and b is an element of B, then a is in element of C and b is an element of C. I.e., ##a \in A \cup B \land b \in A \cup B##
In symbols: ##\exists C | a \in A \land b \in B \implies a \in C \land b \in C##

The notation often used for the power set of a set A is P(A). So, given a set A, if ##B \subseteq A##, then ##B \subset P(A)##. Alternatively, you could talk about elements of a given subset of A (there's always a subset), and that element will also be an element of P(A).
Yes, it's first order logic. The "edit" button disappeared, though, so I can't even modify the post.
For the symbols ##\subseteq## and "proper subset", I can't utilise them yet, because the exercise wants me to write the axioms using only FOL's language + ##\in##.

I think that you're right for the ##f##s, but the axiom says that ##d## is a set of sets, so it seems like I got lucky with ##c##. I get your point; ##a\in b## is short for "##a## is an element of ##b##", so my wording is incorrect.
Ok, I understand your formula with two sets, but I am supposed to iterate over all of the sets in ##D##. I can surely do this in pairs, but isn't that a bit extra? I think that ##\forall C,\,(C\in D)\implies(C\subseteq E)## does capture the idea of the union of all ##C##s in ##D##, since I am putting all of their elements in ##E##.
And now I think that it should have the form ##\forall D,\,\varphi(D)\implies(\text{what I wrote before})##, where ##\varphi(D)## expresses the fact that ##D## is a "set of sets".

Right, I can correct this. For all sets ##D##, there exists a set ##P(D)## such that for all sets ##C##, if ##C\subseteq D##, then ##C\in P(D)##.
$$\forall D,\,\exists P(D)|\forall C,\,\left[\forall e,\,(e\in C)\implies(e\in D)\right]\implies(C\in P(D))$$

Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of writing ZF axioms with FOL symbols?

The purpose of writing ZF axioms with FOL symbols is to formalize the axioms of Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory in first-order logic (FOL). This allows for a more precise and rigorous understanding of the axioms and their implications.

2. How many ZF axioms are there in total?

There are 9 ZF axioms in total, which are divided into two groups: the axioms of extensionality, and the axioms of separation, replacement, pairing, union, power set, infinity, and foundation.

3. What are some examples of FOL symbols used in writing ZF axioms?

Some examples of FOL symbols used in writing ZF axioms include the universal quantifier (∀), the existential quantifier (∃), logical connectives such as conjunction (∧) and disjunction (∨), and the equality symbol (=).

4. How do ZF axioms with FOL symbols differ from traditional set theory notation?

ZF axioms with FOL symbols differ from traditional set theory notation in that they use logical symbols and quantifiers to represent the axioms, rather than using set notation. This allows for a more formal and mathematical representation of the axioms.

5. Are there any limitations to writing ZF axioms with FOL symbols?

One limitation of writing ZF axioms with FOL symbols is that it can be difficult to express certain concepts in first-order logic, such as the concept of a proper class. This may require the use of additional axioms or extensions to fully capture the concepts of Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory.