Truncated form of a infinite series

In summary: So it sounds like you were looking for the closed form of the series. Hope this helps!In summary, the conversation was about trying to show that a specific infinite series has a truncated form, and how to find the closed form without starting from the truncated form. The approach involved writing the series as a complex function and using differentiation and hyperbolic trigonometric functions to find the closed form.
benf.stokes
Hi,

In griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics" he indicates that a specific infinite series has a truncated form (the series and truncated form are given below)
And he says the reader can try to show that it indeed has that form.

[itex] \frac{4V_0}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5,7,...}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}e^{-n\pi x/a}sin(n\pi y/a)=\frac{2V_0}{\pi}arctg(\frac{sin(\pi y/a)}{sinh(\pi x/a)}) [/itex]

However I can't figure out how to get that result. Can anybody help me figure it out, without starting from the truncated form?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
benf.stokes said:
Hi,

In griffith's "Introduction to Electrodynamics" he indicates that a specific infinite series has a truncated form (the series and truncated form are given below)
And he says the reader can try to show that it indeed has that form.

[itex] \frac{4V_0}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5,7,...}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}e^{-n\pi x/a}sin(n\pi y/a)=\frac{2V_0}{\pi}arctg(\frac{sin(\pi y/a)}{sinh(\pi x/a)}) [/itex]

However I can't figure out how to get that result. Can anybody help me figure it out, without starting from the truncated form?

Hm. I would first start by writing this as

$$V(x,y) = \frac{4V_0}{\pi} \mbox{Im}\left[ \sum_{n~odd}^\infty \frac{\exp(-n\pi x/a + i n\pi y/a)}{n}\right],$$
where "Im" denotes the imaginary part of the expression and I have used Euler's identity.

If we write ##z = x - iy##, then we can write this as a complex function

$$\tilde{V}(z) = \frac{4V_0}{\pi} \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{e^{-(2k+1)\pi z/a}}{2k+1}.$$

If we differentiate once with respect to z, and assuming the sum uniformly(?) converges so that we can exchange derivatives and infinite sums, we have

$$\frac{d\tilde{V}}{dz} = \frac{-4V_0}{a} \sum_{k=0}^\infty e^{-(2k+1)\pi z/a} = -\frac{4V_0}{a}e^{-\pi z/a} \sum_{k=0}^\infty (e^{-2\pi z/a})^k.$$

This should now be in a form you can sum up explicitly. You can write the result in terms of a hyperbolic trig function that you can find the antiderivative of to get ##\tilde{V}(z)## back. The trick then is to find the imaginary part of the resulting expression.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the help :). I managed to do it

Glad you got it. By the way, about your terminology, the phrase "truncated form of an infinite series" suggests to me that you have taken only a finite number of terms of the series (i.e., you truncated the series). Typically people call the result of summing up an infinite series into an expression in terms of finitely many elementary functions a "closed form".

Related to Truncated form of a infinite series

1. What is a truncated form of an infinite series?

A truncated form of an infinite series is a partial sum of the series, where only a finite number of terms are included. This means that the series stops at a certain point and does not continue infinitely.

2. Why is the truncated form of an infinite series important?

The truncated form of an infinite series is important because it allows us to approximate the value of the infinite series without having to calculate an infinite number of terms. This can be useful in many applications, such as in calculus and physics.

3. How is the truncated form of an infinite series calculated?

The truncated form of an infinite series can be calculated by adding a finite number of terms from the series. The more terms that are included, the closer the truncated form will be to the actual value of the infinite series.

4. Can the truncated form of an infinite series be used to find the exact value of the series?

No, the truncated form of an infinite series will never give the exact value of the series. It will only give an approximation of the value, which becomes more accurate as more terms are included.

5. What is the significance of the error in the truncated form of an infinite series?

The error in the truncated form of an infinite series is the difference between the actual value of the series and the calculated truncated form. The smaller the error, the more accurate the approximation is. The error can be reduced by including more terms in the truncated form.