Trying to Calculate The Minimum Force For Skateboard.

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the minimum force and torque needed to move a 180 lb object on an electric skateboard using 4 polyurethane wheels. The main factors to consider are gravity, normal force, weight of the system, force on each wheel, coefficient of friction, and wheel size. Rolling friction is the key factor, along with friction at the wheel axle and motor losses. It is important to also account for safety factors such as potential increases in friction, slope of the ground, and wind resistance.
chuttney1
I'm building an electric skateboard. I am trying to calculate the bare minimum force and torque to move a 180 lb object on 4 polyurethane wheels from standstill for motor selection. I got lost in finding the coefficient of friction for polyurethane wheels and whether I am using the equation for rolling friction or the standard model used in schools of a big block with mass moving across a floor with no wheels.

Things I know I have to take into account are gravity, normal force, total weight of the whole system, force on each wheel, coefficient of friction and wheel size to find force and torque. Wind resistance is negligible.

Much help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rolling friction is the important quantity, together with friction at the wheel axle. Plus motor losses, those won't be negligible.

Don't forget a conservative safety factor as friction can increase, the ground can have some slope, wind might be relevant, and so on.

1. What is the minimum force needed to move a skateboard?

The minimum force needed to move a skateboard depends on a variety of factors such as the weight of the rider, the condition of the skateboard, and the surface it is being ridden on. However, on a smooth surface, a force of approximately 1-2 pounds is needed to start the skateboard moving.

2. How do you calculate the minimum force for a skateboard?

The minimum force for a skateboard can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the skateboard and rider, and a is the acceleration. The acceleration needed to move the skateboard can be estimated by dividing the distance the skateboard travels by the time it takes to reach that distance.

3. Can the minimum force for a skateboard change?

Yes, the minimum force for a skateboard can change depending on the circumstances. For example, if the surface is rougher or if the rider and skateboard have a greater combined mass, more force will be needed to move the skateboard. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the minimum force needed.

4. How can I increase the minimum force for my skateboard?

There are a few ways to increase the minimum force for your skateboard. One way is to reduce the friction between the skateboard and the riding surface by using smoother wheels or applying a lubricant. Another way is to increase the force you apply by pushing off with more strength or using a steeper incline to gain momentum.

5. Is the minimum force the same for all skateboards?

No, the minimum force can vary for different skateboards depending on their design, weight, and the surface they are being ridden on. A longer and heavier skateboard may require more force to move compared to a smaller and lighter skateboard. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the minimum force for a specific skateboard.