Trying to learn the correct notation for fractions

In summary, this person has a lot of experience with fractions and math in general. They are able to convert simple fractions to improper fractions and then add them together. However, they made a mistake when they swapped the fractions in the first step. Because of this, they ended up with the same answer as if they had just done the addition using the LCM.
Casio1
2 4/7 + 1 3/5 = 4 6/35 This is easy on a calculator, but I would like to understand how to do it without using calculators.

First I separate the integers from the fractions;

4/7 + 3/5 = Then find the LCM, which I get to be 35

2 4/7 + 1 3/5 = 4/7 + 3/5 = 21/35 2 + 1 20/35 = 3 41/35

Now I know that the answer above can be further canceled and I don't know whether this method is correct or not, but here goes;

3 x 13 + 2 / 35 = 41/35 but then 3 x 35 + 41 / 35 = 4 6/35

Does my work seen OK or am I not getting the notation correct?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
2 4/7 + 1 3/5 = 4 6/35 This is easy on a calculator, but I would like to understand how to do it without using calculators.

First I separate the integers from the fractions;

4/7 + 3/5 = Then find the LCM, which I get to be 35

2 4/7 + 1 3/5 = 4/7 + 3/5 = 21/35 2 + 1 20/35 = 3 41/35

Now I know that the answer above can be further canceled and I don't know whether this method is correct or not, but here goes;

3 x 13 + 2 / 35 = 41/35 but then 3 x 35 + 41 / 35 = 4 6/35

Does my work seen OK or am I not getting the notation correct?

Thanks

You've got your fractions and their integers mixed up: $\frac{21}{35} = \frac{3}{5}$ which goes with 1 instead of 2 so you've swapped them around. The method is largely good although I don't understand a couple of steps that I've put in bold above. You'd end up with $2 \frac{20}{35} + 1\frac{21}{35} = 2 + \frac{20}{35} + 1 + \frac{21}{35}$. Thanks to the order of addition not mattering you still end up with the right answer though.

(with mixed fractions you can split them with addition signs since they're sums: $a + \frac{b}{c} = a\frac{b}{c}$ - if I go off topic for a moment the latter can also mean $ a \times \frac{b}{c}$ which is why it should be avoided where it's not clear)

In this case I you look at the fractional parts as you've done:

For simple fractions I find it easier to convert to improper fractions then combine them. In your case:
$2\frac{4}{7} + 1\frac{3}{5} = \frac{14+4}{7} + \frac{5+3}{5} = \frac{18}{7} + \frac{8}{5}$ and then add them using the LCM and cancel where necessary

$\frac{18}{7} + \frac{8}{5} = \frac{90}{35} + \frac{56}{35} = \frac{146}{35}$. That last fraction is irreducible and I'd be inclined to leave it like that, sure it looks nasty but it's clearer than it's mixed equivalent.

If you do want to make it a mixed fraction then $\frac{146}{35} = \frac{140+6}{35} = \frac{140}{35} + \frac{6}{35} = 4\frac{6}{35}$

Hope that's clear (Tongueout)

edit: drat, too slow

SuperSonic4 said:
You've got your fractions and their integers mixed up: $\frac{21}{35} = \frac{3}{5}$ which goes with 1 instead of 2 so you've swapped them around. The method is largely good although I don't understand a couple of steps that I've put in bold above. You'd end up with $2 \frac{20}{35} + 1\frac{21}{35} = 2 + \frac{20}{35} + 1 + \frac{21}{35}$. Thanks to the order of addition not mattering you still end up with the right answer though.

(with mixed fractions you can split them with addition signs since they're sums: $a + \frac{b}{c} = a\frac{b}{c}$ - if I go off topic for a moment the latter can also mean $ a \times \frac{b}{c}$ which is why it should be avoided where it's not clear)

In this case I you look at the fractional parts as you've done:

For simple fractions I find it easier to convert to improper fractions then combine them. In your case:
$2\frac{4}{7} + 1\frac{3}{5} = \frac{14+4}{7} + \frac{5+3}{5} = \frac{18}{7} + \frac{8}{5}$ and then add them using the LCM and cancel where necessary

$\frac{18}{7} + \frac{8}{5} = \frac{90}{35} + \frac{56}{35} = \frac{146}{35}$. That last fraction is irreducible and I'd be inclined to leave it like that, sure it looks nasty but it's clearer than it's mixed equivalent.

If you do want to make it a mixed fraction then $\frac{146}{35} = \frac{140+6}{35} = \frac{140}{35} + \frac{6}{35} = 4\frac{6}{35}$

Hope that's clear (Tongueout)

edit: drat, too slow

I have a lot of practice to do and yes I appreciate there are many routes to the correct answer, and people will find the way that suits them best.

I see what you have said now about me putting the integers with the wrong fractions, I never thought about keeping them with the same fraction:( I just didn't know.

Thanks for your input and help I just have to keep practicing(Smile)

Don't know what happened to CB's reply, he must have removed it for some reason?

Casio(Smile)

Casio said:
I have a lot of practice to do and yes I appreciate there are many routes to the correct answer, and people will find the way that suits them best.

I see what you have said now about me putting the integers with the wrong fractions, I never thought about keeping them with the same fraction:( I just didn't know.

No problem. In this case it doesn't matter because you're adding the fractions but it would matter if you wanted to do anything else with them (subtract, multiply or divide) so I find it's good practice to keep them together.

Thanks for your input and help I just have to keep practicing(Smile)

Don't know what happened to CB's reply, he must have removed it for some reason?

Casio(Smile)

If you've any other questions feel free to post them here or in a new topic. It may be easier for you to use LaTeX then typing out SUP and SUB tags for fractions ;). There's a link in my sig

SuperSonic4 said:
No problem. In this case it doesn't matter because you're adding the fractions but it would matter if you wanted to do anything else with them (subtract, multiply or divide) so I find it's good practice to keep them together.
If you've any other questions feel free to post them here or in a new topic. It may be easier for you to use LaTeX then typing out SUP and SUB tags for fractions ;). There's a link in my sig

Thanks again, please explain further regards your link in your sig and latex(Smile)

Casio said:
Thanks again, please explain further regards your link in your sig and latex(Smile)

He has a link to our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forums/26-LaTeX-Help. It's a lot easier to use Latex most of the time when writing math equations and makes it a lot easier to read as well. I suggest taking some time to learn the basic syntax. If you have any questions, please ask.

Related to Trying to learn the correct notation for fractions

1. What is the correct way to write a fraction?

The correct way to write a fraction is to use a horizontal line, called a bar or a vinculum, to separate the numerator (the top number) and the denominator (the bottom number). For example, 3/4 is the correct notation for three fourths.

2. How do I know which number is the numerator and which is the denominator?

The numerator is always the top number in a fraction, and the denominator is always the bottom number. The numerator represents the parts of the whole being described, while the denominator represents the total number of equal parts in the whole.

3. What is an improper fraction?

An improper fraction is a fraction where the numerator is equal to or greater than the denominator. For example, 5/3 is an improper fraction because 5 is greater than 3. Improper fractions can also be written as mixed numbers, where the whole number and fraction are separated by a plus sign. In the example above, 5/3 can be written as 1 + 2/3.

4. How do I convert a fraction to a decimal?

To convert a fraction to a decimal, divide the numerator by the denominator. For example, to convert 3/4 to a decimal, divide 3 by 4. The result is 0.75.

5. Can fractions be simplified?

Yes, fractions can be simplified by dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF). The GCF is the largest number that evenly divides into both the numerator and denominator. For example, the fraction 8/12 can be simplified by dividing both numbers by 4, resulting in 2/3.