Trying to replicate plot similar to stem3 plot, I think.

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Robin64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary, the speaker wrote a program 10 years ago to track bike rides using Matlab. The program included a 3D plot with coordinates for longitude, latitude, and elevation. Due to a computer crash and poor backup habits, the code was lost. The speaker is unsure which type of Matlab plot they used and is asking for assistance in identifying it. They mention a possible Jet colormap and provide a link to a list of Matlab plot types.
Robin64
About 10 years ago I wrote a program to log my bike rides in Matlab, and part of that program generated a plot whose x and y coordinates were longitude and latitude coordinates and whose z coordinate was the elevation. Sadly, a computer crash and bad backup habits caused me to lose my code. I can't for the the life me remember what Matlab 3d plot I used to create the effect. It looked like the attached plot, except with a Jet colormap.

I want to think it was a stem3 plot, but I'm unable to apply a jet colormap to a stem3 plot. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Plot.png
    Plot.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do I create a stem3 plot in my research?

To create a stem3 plot, you will need to use a scientific computing software or programming language, such as MATLAB or Python. These programs have built-in functions for creating stem3 plots, or you can write your own code using the stem3 function.

2. What is a stem3 plot used for in scientific research?

A stem3 plot is used to visualize data that is organized in three dimensions. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology to display data that has two independent variables and one dependent variable.

3. How can I make my stem3 plot more visually appealing?

To make your stem3 plot more visually appealing, you can customize the color, size, and style of the markers and lines used in the plot. You can also add labels, titles, and a legend to make the plot easier to interpret.

4. What are some common mistakes when creating a stem3 plot?

One common mistake when creating a stem3 plot is using incorrect data or not properly organizing the data in three dimensions. Another mistake is not labeling the axes or not including a legend, which can make the plot difficult to understand. It is also important to choose appropriate scaling for the axes to accurately represent the data.

5. Can I use a stem3 plot to compare multiple datasets?

Yes, a stem3 plot can be used to compare multiple datasets by overlaying them on the same plot. This allows for easy visual comparison of the data and can help identify patterns or differences between the datasets.