Trying to solve an equation but get weird solution with new variable

In summary, the individual is having trouble solving an equation involving gamma(s) in Maple, which he has assigned variables to. He is getting a confusing answer with a new variable, and has also tried WolframAlpha but received an error. He is seeking help in generating an equation to solve for sigma(s).
dscot
Hi,

I'm trying to solve this equation inside of Maple:
http://screencast.com/t/EeqzLhxS for gamma(s)

I assign variables to each of the values like this:http://screencast.com/t/DBLS8BH6R

When I try to solve I get this weird answer with a new _z variable: http://screencast.com/t/qVHp7xVRFUq

Can anyone see what I've done wrong, I'm really going crazy with this one :)

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first screen capture with the formula contains no gammas that I can see. I see a couple of sigmas.

Sorry SteamKing, you are correct. I think I've mixed both the symbols up during my which I'll be sure to fix :)

My problem still holds true, would you have any thoughts on that?

Thanks =)

Sorry guys, still not had any luck with this.

I've also tried wolframAlpha with this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=solve+a=+((b^0.5+/+c^0.5)+*+exp(-d*(c-b)^2))+for+b

( I just separated the terms in order, into a,b,c,d)

But get this error: Standard computation time exceeded..

I got a similar error even with the 14 day pro trial.

I'm not sure what else to try all I'm trying to do is to generate an equation to work out sigma(s)?

Thanks guys!

Hello,

It seems like you may have made a mistake in assigning your variables. The new _z variable is likely a result of a typo or incorrect substitution. I would suggest double checking your work and making sure all variables are properly assigned before attempting to solve the equation again. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult a colleague or seek assistance from a tutor or mentor. Remember, solving equations can be tricky and mistakes can happen, but with careful attention to detail, you will be able to find the correct solution. Good luck!

1. Why am I getting a weird solution when I try to solve this equation?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a mistake made during the solving process, such as a miscalculation or incorrect use of a formula. It could also be due to the equation having multiple solutions or no real solutions. Additionally, it could be caused by the presence of complex numbers or irrational numbers in the solution.

2. What do I do if the solution involves a new variable?

If the solution involves a new variable, it means that the equation has multiple solutions and the variable represents the different values that satisfy the equation. You can solve for the variable by substituting in known values or using other equations to eliminate the variable.

3. Is it possible to get a different solution if I use a different method to solve the equation?

Yes, it is possible to get a different solution using a different method. Different methods may have different steps or approaches, which can lead to different solutions. It is always a good idea to check your work and verify your solution using multiple methods.

4. What if I get an answer that doesn't make sense?

If you get an answer that doesn't make sense, it could be due to an error in the solving process or a mistake in the equation itself. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are correct. If the answer still doesn't make sense, it may be helpful to double check the original equation and make sure all terms and operations are correct.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by substituting it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator or online graphing tool to plot the equation and see if your solution lies on the graph. Additionally, you can use a different method to solve the equation and see if you get the same solution.