Trying to understand the drinking bird toy better

In summary: If I can somehow get the dichloromethane in the right spot then I need to find a way to create a heat source for it - Maybe a small electric heater could be used? but again I don't know how to test if it is producing the correct amount of heat needed or not?
Dr_Jekyll
I bought the drinking bird toy, and I want to get a better understanding of it, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_bird)

I understand the basic way it works and that it is a simple heat engine, but I can't seem to find any information that helps me answer the following

- I notice all these toys have the same sized glass bulb where the dichloromethane sits. What happens if you make the bulb larger so it holds more dichloromethane but keep the rest of the bird the same ?

- I find this simple heat engine pretty fascinating and I am trying to understand how it can be made more efficient, like if perhaps magnets could be added to help reduce friction instead of the toys normal metal piece to hold it up ?

- I can't find this answer anywhere I have looked but does increasing the size result in lower efficiency? I don't see anywhere any information on anyone playing with the dimensions for fun and trying to make it swing better?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr_Jekyll said:
I bought the drinking bird toy, and I want to get a better understanding of it, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_bird)

I understand the basic way it works and that it is a simple heat engine, but I can't seem to find any information that helps me answer the following

- I notice all these toys have the same sized glass bulb where the dichloromethane sits. What happens if you make the bulb larger so it holds more dichloromethane but keep the rest of the bird the same ?

- I find this simple heat engine pretty fascinating and I am trying to understand how it can be made more efficient, like if perhaps magnets could be added to help reduce friction instead of the toys normal metal piece to hold it up ?

- I can't find this answer anywhere I have looked but does increasing the size result in lower efficiency? I don't see anywhere any information on anyone playing with the dimensions for fun and trying to make it swing better?

Thanks for any help

You might consider doing experimental physics here: Make your own bird, and see what effect changing the dimensions has.

stevendaryl said:
You might consider doing experimental physics here: Make your own bird, and see what effect changing the dimensions has.
I would love to and would do it - But first I need some tips on how to make this possible.

There are a few major hurdles that come mind for me to be able to do this:

1) I have to see how I can mimic the shape of the glass bird using glass or something like it?
- a thought that comes to mind , is perhaps finding a way to attach a small glass graduated cylinder to small glass empty light bulb since it kind of looks like the shape needed? Maybe this could be made from some type PVC pipe ? but I have to see if PVC will act differently then glass which would affect the rise of the liquid

2) I have to find way to safely remove air from glass and some how seal it without letting air back in and without the glass exploding ?

- A food storage vacuum or wine seal vacuum maybe can be used? but i don't know how I would know when it is the right amount of pressure before the glass explodes or how to seal it ?

1. How does the drinking bird toy work?

The drinking bird toy works through a combination of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics. As the water in the bird's head evaporates, it cools the head and creates a pressure difference between the head and the bottom bulb. This difference in pressure causes the liquid in the bottom bulb to rise up the tube and into the head, making the bird tip over. As the bird tips, the water in the head is released back into the bottom bulb, starting the process over again.

2. Why does the bird keep dipping its head into the water?

The bird dips its head into the water because the water in the head needs to evaporate in order for the toy to function. The evaporated water cools the head and creates a pressure difference, causing the liquid in the bottom bulb to rise up the tube.

3. What is the purpose of the red liquid in the bottom bulb?

The red liquid in the bottom bulb is typically methylene chloride, which has a low boiling point and is able to evaporate quickly. This allows for the continuous cycle of evaporation and condensation that powers the toy.

4. Can the drinking bird toy work with any type of liquid?

No, the drinking bird toy requires a liquid with a low boiling point in order to function properly. Methylene chloride is commonly used, but other low boiling point liquids such as alcohol or acetone may also work.

5. Can the drinking bird toy be used as a perpetual motion machine?

No, the drinking bird toy is not a perpetual motion machine. It requires an initial push to start the cycle, and the evaporation and condensation processes are not 100% efficient, so the toy will eventually stop working once all the liquid has evaporated.