Tunneling a VPN Within a VPN: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter Steven Ellet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tunneling
In summary, it is possible to nest a VPN inside of another VPN, but it does not necessarily increase security. This concept is similar to the Tor browser, which routes traffic through multiple servers for anonymity. To create a nested VPN, one can use a global VPN at the OS level and then run a VPN app in the browser. However, this may only slow down browsing and not significantly improve security.
Steven Ellet
TL;DR Summary
Layered VPN
Is it possible to put a vpn inside of another vpn, kind of like a tunnel in a tunnel? If so, how?

Technology news on Phys.org
Why?

In principle data is data, and you can encrypt it as many times as you'd like. However, it doesn't add security, and whether someone has written a stack to do this is uncertain.

Likes berkeman
You can use a global VPN working at the OS level in your PC, @Steven Ellet, then run a VPN app in your browser to achieve a layered VPN. I've occasionally done this inadvertently, and I doubt it increases my security much...but it does slow down my browsing!

There's no magic in the routing, you can set the two VPN end points differently and external parties will see two different IP addresses, depending on what they're able to see (browser traffic in LA, for example, non-browser traffic in NY, assuming those are the VPN end points you've set) it's just that the browser traffic will be forced to transit LA to reach NY, and thence to the service you are browsing.

You can certainly chain VPNs, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about (hence my "Why?"). He is talking about nesting them. Now, maybe he meant chaining them, but until he says otherwise, we should probably assume he meant what he asked.

Vanadium 50 said:
You can certainly chain VPNs, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking about (hence my "Why?"). He is talking about nesting them. Now, maybe he meant chaining them, but until he says otherwise, we should probably assume he meant what he asked.
A VPN at the OS layer and a VPN in a browser is nested, @Vanadium 50.

The browser traffic - encrypted by the browser app VPN - is carried over the OS' underlying transport service, also encrypted. Maybe me picking two end points as an example suggests it is chained, but here's a visual of the nesting using Windscribe, both exiting at their LA Dogg site:

1658534646128.png

And within the browser, the VPN knows it is tunnelling with the 'double hop' notification:

1658534693576.png

Windscribe note that doing this "provides enhanced privacy and anonymity as it significantly reduces the chance of a correlation attack on one of our servers" but my tin foil hat is not that firmly attached that I bother with this double layer of security.

1. Is it possible to tunnel a VPN within a VPN?

Yes, it is possible to tunnel a VPN within a VPN. This is known as a double VPN or nested VPN setup, where one VPN connection is nested within another VPN connection.

2. What are the benefits of tunneling a VPN within a VPN?

Tunneling a VPN within a VPN provides an extra layer of security and privacy. It encrypts your data twice, making it more difficult for hackers or government agencies to intercept and decipher your online communications. It also allows you to access geo-restricted content from two different locations at the same time.

3. How does tunneling a VPN within a VPN work?

Tunneling a VPN within a VPN works by creating two separate VPN connections. The first VPN connection is established between your device and the first VPN server, and then a second VPN connection is created between the first VPN server and a second VPN server. This creates a secure tunnel for your data to be routed through, encrypting it twice.

4. Are there any drawbacks to tunneling a VPN within a VPN?

While tunneling a VPN within a VPN provides added security, it can also slow down your internet connection due to the extra encryption and routing. It may also result in additional fees if you are using a paid VPN service.

5. How can I set up a double VPN or nested VPN connection?

To set up a double VPN or nested VPN connection, you will need to have access to two separate VPN services. You can either manually configure the connections using the VPN provider's instructions or use a VPN client that supports nested VPN connections. It is important to note that not all VPN providers allow nested VPN connections, so be sure to check with your provider before attempting to set one up.