Tutoring Algebra: Basics & Fundamentals for Beginners

In summary, this tutor will be helping a student with a D in algebra learn the material so that he can pass the class. They will be working through exercises from a textbook and from their own notes, and reinforcing methods learned in lectures if he is taking a course from an instructor. If this becomes a long term job, a test at the beginning of each session will be helpful.
Miike012
I have never tutored before and I will be tutoring this saturday. He received a D in his basic algebra class. What are some fundamentalls and basics that would be important to go over on the first day?
Any opinions?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some areas to cover:

Order of operations (very important!)
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing negative numbers and fractions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing algebraic expressions
Simplifying algebraic expressions
Solving simple, linear equations (respect the '=' sign!)
Finding the x and y intercepts of a linear equation

As for what to cover the first day, that entire list might be a bit much depending on what his problem areas are, but I'd start with the first two. If he's cruising through those, then you can jump to simplifying algebraic expressions. See if he's comfortable handling negative exponents in rational expressions.

I'm sure others can provide additional suggestions, but those should give you an idea of where he's at. He either has some really bad habits, doesn't understand the material, or both.

Last edited:
Wow great idea.. thanks for all the suggestions.

Miike012 said:
I have never tutored before and I will be tutoring this saturday. He received a D in his basic algebra class. What are some fundamentalls and basics that would be important to go over on the first day?
Any opinions?
thanks

I'd work through exercises from his textbook (assuming he has one). It's familiar territory, so provided the presentation is okay, I'd stick with that to start with.

On the other hand, if the textbook is uninviting, abandon it and use sheets you have made up or printed out from the web. Take plenty of blank paper for you both to scribble on.

If this becomes a long term job, you might find a 6 minute revision test at the start of each session is invaluable, especially when you present it as a self-marking spreadsheet exercise on the computer.

Good luck.

Thank you.. these are all great ideas. I appreciate it

I made a test with 16 problems to see where he is at... is that to much?

Miike012 said:
I made a test with 16 problems to see where he is at... is that to much?

Sounds good to me.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post -- If he's taking a course from an instructor, try your best to reinforce whatever methods he's learning in the lectures. This helps avoid confusion and frustration by staying consistent. The only times I show other methods are when it's clear that whatever they're being taught just isn't clicking. I used to love showing various ways to obtain the same answer for a given problem, but it would often just cause confusion and make things worse. Although, some students actually find it helpful. You'll have to feel-out what works for him. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Dembadon said:
Sounds good to me.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post -- If he's taking a course from an instructor, try your best to reinforce whatever methods he's learning in the lectures. This helps avoid confusion and frustration by staying consistent. The only times I show other methods are when it's clear that whatever they're being taught just isn't clicking. I used to love showing various ways to obtain the same answer for a given problem, but it would often just cause confusion and make things worse. Although, some students actually find it helpful. You'll have to feel-out what works for him. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Thank you !

Miike012 said:
Thank you !

Anytime. And please let us know how things progress. :smile:

Whenever I tutored failing students I made them bring their test/homework and their book to their first appointment. That way I can see what they didn’t know, and how it was taught to them.

Just got back from tutoring. Went great!.. have another session next sat with same person.

What is Algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve equations and express relationships between quantities.

Why is it important to learn the basics and fundamentals of Algebra?

Understanding the basics and fundamentals of Algebra is crucial for building a strong foundation in math. It helps develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and prepares students for more advanced math concepts.

What are some common topics covered in tutoring Algebra for beginners?

Some common topics covered in tutoring Algebra for beginners include solving equations, simplifying expressions, working with variables, graphing, and understanding the properties of numbers.

Do I need any prior knowledge or skills to start learning Algebra?

No, Algebra can be learned by anyone regardless of their prior knowledge or skills in math. However, having a strong foundation in basic math concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division can be helpful.

What are some effective strategies for learning Algebra?

Some effective strategies for learning Algebra include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, breaking down complex problems into smaller steps, and using visual aids or real-life examples to understand concepts better.