Twin Paradox: Orbital Geodesics, Gravity, & Time Dilation

In summary, the twin paradox involves two twins, one staying in flat Minkowski spacetime while the other travels in a spaceship following a highly elliptical geodesic. When they meet again, the twin who stayed in flat spacetime will be younger due to the fact that they did not experience any acceleration, while the traveling twin experienced some acceleration which caused their proper time to decrease. This is explained by the reversed triangle inequality and the fact that geodesics have the longest proper time while non-geodesics have shorter proper time. In general, with gravity, there may be multiple geodesics between two events, but one will always be the global maximal elapsed time. The choice of an elliptical orbit for the traveling twin is a
D.S.Beyer
TL;DR Summary
What is the result of the Twin Paradox if the round trip of one twin is entirely on a geodesic?
~ Shower Thoughts ~

Twin A is in a spaceship, Twin B is in a spaceship. Both in 'deep space'.
B follows a highly elliptical geodesic which goes around a planet (or black hole) with strong gravity, very far away.

When they meet again, who is younger and why?

I genuinely don't know what this answer will be.

GravityTwins.jpg

( In an ideal case A stays in Flat Minkowski Spacetime during B's trip. However, A will need to accelerate a little bit away from the distant planet to maintain position. Does this small bit of acceleration may make the difference in the end..? dunno)

I'm going through Eigenchris's youtube videos, and he has an amazing explanation of the Twin Paradox, essentially saying the solution is "The reversed triangle inequality (assuming timeline vectors). In which geodesics have the longest proper time, and non-geodesics have shorter proper time."

That made sense to me in SR terms, so I thought I'd see if I could convolute it with some GR curvature. Since Twin B follows geodesics, and A must slightly accelerate... is A younger? Or is B effected by gravitational time dilation as it goes around the planet and thus B is younger?

Very curious. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
At first I thought you were referring to a different case, where e.g. A is hovering at a distance from the sun and B is on circular orbit meeting A every orbit. In this case, A will elapse more time between meeting even though B is geodesic and A is not. The seeming 'paradox' is resolved by noting there is a different geodesic between the meeting points that elapses more time than A: the geodesic that moves radially outward from A at an initial velocity such that it 'falls back' in exactly the time it takes B to orbit. This is the global maximum geodesic between these points.

Your case is different. If you mean for both to be geodesics, with A being very far a way in 'asymptotically flat' spacetime, while B does an eccentric orbit, then A would elapse the maximal time.

In general, with gravity, there may be two or more geodesics between a pair of events. One of them will be the global maximal elapsed time. The others will elapse less time than many non-geodesic world lines.

Likes sym666 and vanhees71
D.S.Beyer said:
Summary:: What is the result of the Twin Paradox if the round trip of one twin is entirely on a geodesic?

B follows a highly elliptical geodesic
Any particular reason to choose an elliptical rather than circular orbit? It makes the math harder for no benefit that I can see.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
Any particular reason to choose an elliptical rather than circular orbit? It makes the math harder for no benefit that I can see.
I guess I was trying to get the meeting point even as far out into 'Minkowski' flat spacetime as I could, such that Twin A could basically be stationary. As PAllen says an 'asymptotically flat' spacetime.

But, I guess it really doesn't change the outcome in the end.

PAllen said:
In general, with gravity, there may be two or more geodesics between a pair of events. One of them will be the global maximal elapsed time. The others will elapse less time than many non-geodesic world lines.
This is great. Thank you.
How does one determine the maximal geodesic?
I'm not to keen on the hard math, so if you have a geometric example, I'd love to see it.

Dale said:
Any particular reason to choose an elliptical rather than circular orbit?
Because that's what most naturally matches the standard twin paradox, where the traveling twin goes out for some distance, makes a 180 degree turn, and then comes back. For a massive body to produce that 180 degree turn, the traveling twin has to have a very low altitude of closest approach, compared with the total spatial distance traveled (where all the distances here are in the common rest frame of the stay at home twin and the massive body). In other words, the traveling twin's orbit has to be highly elliptical.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
Any particular reason to choose an elliptical rather than circular orbit?
Another reason is that if the orbit is circular, the stay at home twin won't be inertial--if the massive body's gravity is strong enough to produce a circular orbit at that distance for the traveling twin, it's strong enough to force the stay at home twin to "hover", with nonzero proper acceleration. That complicates the scenario.

Likes vanhees71
D.S.Beyer said:
This is great. Thank you.
How does one determine the maximal geodesic?
I'm not to keen on the hard math, so if you have a geometric example, I'd love to see it.
I don't know of any general rule. In the case of Schwarzschild metric, you can just 'read' from the metric that a circular orbit will elapse less time than a non-inertial stationary observer at the same radius. Just a little harder is to demonstrate that the pure radial geodesic (out and back) is the global maximum between two events at the same radius and angular coordinates, separated by some time. However, even in this very simple metric, other cases of multiple geodesics (e.g. elliptical orbits of different shapes and positions that have a pair of event intersections) just have to be calculated. All you know is that the maximal geodesic will be a maximal proper time among all possible world lines.

Likes vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
Another reason is that if the orbit is circular, the stay at home twin won't be inertial--if the massive body's gravity is strong enough to produce a circular orbit at that distance for the traveling twin, it's strong enough to force the stay at home twin to "hover", with nonzero proper acceleration. That complicates the scenario.
A hovering clock is easy since all of the spatial derivatives are 0.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
A hovering clock is easy since all of the spatial derivatives are 0.
It's easy to compute its proper time, but it's at the same distance from the massive body as the traveling twin. I'm not sure that's what the OP intended. Although perhaps at this point we are considering several possible scenarios, not just one.

Dale said:
Any particular reason to choose an elliptical rather than circular orbit? It makes the math harder
Actually, for the limiting case of eccentricity approaching 1, the math is easier, because for most of the traveling twin's trajectory, spacetime can be assumed to be flat and you just have the standard twin paradox. The only segment of the trajectory where spacetime curvature is significant is the turnaround, and for eccentricity approaching 1, the turnaround time is short enough compared to the total travel time that it can be ignored.

PeterDonis said:
It's easy to compute its proper time, but it's at the same distance from the massive body as the traveling twin. I'm not sure that's what the OP intended. Although perhaps at this point we are considering several possible scenarios, not just one.
I would prefer to analyze the simplest possible scenario that captures the essence of the query. A circular orbit is simpler than an elliptical one. That is why I asked if the OP had a specific interest in the elliptical one. It doesn’t look like he had a specific reason for that, so I would rather use a circular orbit.

Dale said:
I would prefer to analyze the simplest possible scenario that captures the essence of the query.
There can be different criteria of simplicity. In one sense, yes, a circular orbit is simpler because, if you're going to try and compute orbits at all, circular orbits are the simplest ones to compute. But in another sense, my suggestion of an elliptical trajectory in the limit as eccentricity approaches 1 is simpler, because it avoids the need to compute the orbit at all; you just have the standard twin paradox with a massive body instead of a rocket engine as the means of making the turnaround.

PeterDonis said:
t avoids the need to compute the orbit at all; you just have the standard twin paradox with a massive body instead of a rocket engine as the means of making the turnaround.
Well, I agree in general, however, in this thread specifically I understood that the OP was interested in the fact that in curved spacetime there can be multiple geodesics of different lengths. (i.e. maximal geodesic query in post 5) If we simplify it as far as you suggest then there is only one geodesic for any worldline not including the very center. So I am not sure that answer's the OP's question. Again, I am looking for simplest possible that captures the essence of the query.

PeterDonis said:
Actually, for the limiting case of eccentricity approaching 1, the math is easier, because for most of the traveling twin's trajectory, spacetime can be assumed to be flat and you just have the standard twin paradox. The only segment of the trajectory where spacetime curvature is significant is the turnaround, and for eccentricity approaching 1, the turnaround time is short enough compared to the total travel time that it can be ignored.
Is this really true? The potential is undergoing a large change along the eccentric path, an effect not present in the SR twin version. Also, the speed is not constant along the path, unlike the SR twin case.

Last edited:
PAllen said:
The potential is undergoing a large change along the eccentric path, an effect not present in the SR twin version. Also, the speed is not constant along the path, unlike the SR twin case.
Hm, yes, if we insist on an elliptical trajectory, meaning a bound trajectory, you're right, it won't be the same as the SR case.

The case I was actually thinking of would be a hyperbolic trajectory with orbital energy much greater than escape energy.

Dale said:
I understood that the OP was interested in the fact that in curved spacetime there can be multiple geodesics of different lengths. (i.e. maximal geodesic query in post 5) If we simplify it as far as you suggest then there is only one geodesic for any worldline not including the very center. So I am not sure that answer's the OP's question.
Yes, this is a fair point; the limiting case I was suggesting does not address this issue.

PeterDonis said:
Hm, yes, if we insist on an elliptical trajectory, meaning a bound trajectory, you're right, it won't be the same as the SR case.

The case I was actually thinking of would be a hyperbolic trajectory with orbital energy much greater than escape energy.
But, for an inertial slingshot trajectory, you still have both differences: potential change, and variable speed. You can simplify using constants of motion, but the calculation looks nothing like the SR case. Also, the hyperbolic path would never be closed except in a very artificial limit, so it is a stretch to call it a twin scenario. The highly eccentric ellipse participates in a true inertial twin scenario.

PAllen said:
for an inertial slingshot trajectory, you still have both differences: potential change, and variable speed
But for the limiting case I described (hyperbolic trajectory with orbital energy much greater than escape energy), both of these are negligible except during the turnaround, which is a short enough time relative to the total travel time that it can be ignored.

PAllen said:
the hyperbolic path would never be closed except in a very artificial limit
Yes, agreed.

PAllen said:
The highly eccentric ellipse participates in a true inertial twin scenario.
Not quite, since the stay at home twin still has some nonzero proper acceleration. But I agree that it can be made very small.

PeterDonis said:
But for the limiting case I described (hyperbolic trajectory with orbital energy much greater than escape energy), both of these are negligible except during the turnaround, which is a short enough time relative to the total travel time that it can be ignored.
I am still not convinced. The turnaround may be brief, getting very close to e.g. a BH or neutron star, but the change in potential cannot be made negligible, nor can the change in velocity. If the incoming velocity is huge, you will just have a small angle deflection rather than a turnaround. For the turnaround to occur at all, the change in velocity during approach and recession must be significant.
PeterDonis said:
Not quite, since the stay at home twin still has some nonzero proper acceleration. But I agree that it can be made very small.
The home twin can do a radial out and back trajectory, which, very far from the massive body, can hardly be distinguished from stationary.

Last edited:
PAllen said:
If the incoming velocity is huge, you will just have a small angle deflection rather than a turnaround.
Yes, I had assumed that was what you were referring to when you said this:

PAllen said:
the hyperbolic path would never be closed except in a very artificial limit
For the actual case I described, the path would be very, very far from closed, since, as you note, the angle deflection will be small, nowhere near 180 degrees.

PAllen said:
The home twin can do a radial out and back trajectory, which, very far from the massive body, can hardly be distinguished from stationary.
Yes, I agree this would be a reasonable approximation to stationary and would make the home twin inertial.

Dale said:
It's so A can be in almost flat spacetime.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses to this question.

It sounds like, no matter if the geodesic is hyperbolic, highly elliptical, or circular, Twin A will elapse more time.

One of the things that I wanted to get out of this question was if 'local acceleration' matters. Such that Twin B, being on a geodesic, should never feel like they are accelerating. Twin B is "falling" the whole time during the round trip.

@PAllen point to different geodesics between two events is something that I had not really considered before, and is extremely interesting. If there is no easy way to find the maximal geodesic, is there a way to find the minimal geodesic?

Could we say that the minimal geodesic between two points is the one which comes closest to a body (or bodies) of mass?

D.S.Beyer said:
If there is no easy way to find the maximal geodesic, is there a way to find the minimal geodesic?
You just have to find all geodesics and then see which is the longest and which is the shortest. I don’t know of any shortcuts

Likes PAllen

1. What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in physics that explores the concept of time dilation, which is the idea that time passes at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields or moving at different speeds. It involves two identical twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, due to the effects of time dilation.

2. How does orbital geodesics relate to the Twin Paradox?

Orbital geodesics refers to the path that an object follows as it orbits around a massive body, such as a planet or star. In the context of the Twin Paradox, this path is important because it determines the gravitational field that the traveling twin experiences. The closer the object is to the massive body, the stronger the gravitational field and the greater the effects of time dilation.

3. How does gravity affect time dilation in the Twin Paradox?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the Twin Paradox. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between objects, but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This curvature affects the passage of time, causing it to slow down in stronger gravitational fields. This is why the traveling twin, who experiences a stronger gravitational field due to their orbit, ages slower than the twin who stays on Earth.

4. Can the Twin Paradox be observed in real life?

Yes, the effects of the Twin Paradox have been observed in experiments involving atomic clocks. In 1971, scientists used atomic clocks to measure the time dilation of a jet traveling around the Earth at high speeds. The results showed that the clock on the jet was slightly behind the clock on the ground, confirming the predictions of the Twin Paradox.

5. What are the implications of the Twin Paradox for space travel?

The Twin Paradox demonstrates that time dilation is a real phenomenon and has important implications for space travel. As objects move at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, time will pass at different rates for them, which could have significant consequences for astronauts on long space missions. It also highlights the need for precise timekeeping and synchronization in space travel.