Twins Paradox: Solving for Total Time Lapse

In summary: The solution to this equation is then just ##v(t)##.The acceleration of Florence according to FlorenceHow would it looks like? I can't imagine this situation. How can be Florence accelerated with respect to herself? In her frame she will be in rest, no?In summary, Florence feels a constant acceleration of g, but g is not the acceleration of Florence relative to Methuselah's frame. The attempt at a solution states that integration with ##v=gt## results in a crazy result. There is no way to extract ##T_M## from the equation.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

In the twins paradox, suppose that Florence begins at rest beside Methuselah, then accelerates in Methuselah’s x-direction with an acceleration a equal to one Earth gravity, “1g”, for a time ##T_F/4## as measured by her, then accelerates in the −x-direction at 1g for a time ##T_F/2## thereby reversing her motion, and then accelerates in the +x-direction at 1g for a time ##T_F/4## thereby returning to rest beside Methuselah. Show that the total time lapse as measured by Methuselah is:
$$T_M=\frac{4}{g}\sinh{(\frac{gT_F}{4})}$$

Homework Equations

(1) ##T_F=\int d\tau = \int\sqrt{dt^2-\delta_{ij}dx^idx^j}=\int_0^{T_M}\sqrt{1-v^2}dt## where ##d\tau## is proper time of Florence

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate (1) with ##v=gt## but I have got some crazy result with ArcSin and square root. It is impossible to extract ##T_M##.
Is my procedure generally wrong? Or it exists some better way how get result for this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
I tried to integrate (1) with ##v=gt##
This is not the correct equation for the velocity ##v## of Florence relative to Methuselah. According to Methuselah, Florence does not have a constant acceleration during the first quarter of the trip. (Note that your equation would make ##v## become greater than the speed of light for large enough ##t##.)

Florence "feels" a constant acceleration of g, but g is not the acceleration of Florence relative to Methuselah's frame. g is the acceleration of Florence relative to an inertial reference frame that is instantaneously co-moving with Florence.

Have you studied how accelerations transform between inertial frames?

TSny said:
This is not the correct equation for the velocity ##v## of Florence relative to Methuselah. According to Methuselah, Florence does not have a constant acceleration during the first quarter of the trip. (Note that your equation would make ##v## become greater than the speed of light for large enough ##t##.)

Florence "feels" a constant acceleration of g, but g is not the acceleration of Florence relative to Methuselah's frame. g is the acceleration of Florence relative to an inertial reference frame that is instantaneously co-moving with Florence.

Have you studied how accelerations transform between inertial frames?
Ou I forgot it. Transformation of acceleration is ##a=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3(1+v'\beta)^3}##. And velocity of Florence in her own frame is ##v'=0##. Right?
And ##v=gt##, may I use only becouse ##gt<<c## is it true?
But still there is ##\beta## in transformation of ##a##, but now ##\beta## is not constant. May I write ##\beta=gt##?

Last edited:
Vrbic said:
Ou I forgot it. Transformation of acceleration is ##a=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3(1+v'\beta)^3}##. And velocity of Florence in her own frame is ##v'=0##. Right?
Yes, that's right.
And ##v=gt##, may I use only becouse ##gt<<c## is it true?
No, there is nothing in the problem statement that would allow you to make that approximation.
But still there is ##\beta## in transformation of ##a##, but now ##\beta## is not constant. May I write ##\beta=gt##?
With ##v'=0##, you have

##a=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3}##.

Write this out explicitly in terms of ##g##, ##v##, and ##dv/dt##.

TSny said:
No, there is nothing in the problem statement that would allow you to make that approximation.
Hmm... I thought that for accelerated motion ##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1-a^2t^2/c^2}}##.

Vrbic said:
Hmm... I thought that for accelerated motion ##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1-a^2t^2/c^2}}##.
Where did you get this formula? I believe there is a sign error in the denominator.
What does ##a## represent here, the acceleration of Florence according to Florence, or the acceleration of Florence according to Methuselah? What does ##u## represent?

TSny said:
With ##v'=0##, you have

##a=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3}##.

Write this out explicitly in terms of ##g##, ##v##, and ##dv/dt##.
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3}=(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}\frac{dv'}{dt'}=(1-g^2t^2)^{3/2}g## Right?

TSny said:
Where did you get this formula? I believe there is a sign error in the denominator.
Yes...there should be + sign. Sorry.

TSny said:
the acceleration of Florence according to Florence
How would it looks like? I can't imagine this situation. How can be Florence accelerated with respect to herself? In her frame she will be in rest, no?

TSny said:
What does ##a## represent here, the acceleration of Florence according to Florence, or the acceleration of Florence according to Methuselah? What does ##u## represent?
So I mean ##a## and ##u## are acceleration and velocity of Florence measurred by Methuselah.

Vrbic said:
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{a'}{\gamma^3}=(1-\beta^2)^{3/2}\frac{dv'}{dt'}=(1-g^2t^2)^{3/2}g## Right?
You cannot write ##\beta## as ##gt## because Florence does not have a constant acceleration ##g## relative to Methuselah.

Write ##\beta## as ##v## (since you are apparently letting ##c = 1##). You then have

##\frac{dv}{dt}=(1-v^2)^{3/2}g##. This is a differential equation whose solution will give you ##v(t)##.

It is helpful to rearrange it as ##\frac{1}{(1-v^2)^{3/2}}\frac{dv}{dt} = g##. The trick is to note that

##\frac{1}{(1-v^2)^{3/2}}\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{v}{(1-v^2)^{1/2}} \right)##

Vrbic said:
Yes...there should be + sign.
So, that would change your equation to

##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1+ a^2t^2/c^2}}##

So I mean ##a## and ##u## are acceleration and velocity of Florence measurred by Methuselah.

So, ##u## is the same as ##v## that you used in your first post. OK.
But the equation ##u=\frac{at}{\sqrt{1+ a^2t^2/c^2}}## is still not correct if you are saying that ##a## is the acceleration of Florence relative to Methuselah. The correct formula is ##u=\frac{a't}{\sqrt{1+ a'^2t^2/c^2}}## where ##a'## is the acceleration that Florence feels.

How would it looks like? I can't imagine this situation. How can be Florence accelerated with respect to herself? In her frame she will be in rest, no?
Good point. By "the acceleration of Florence according to Florence" I meant "the acceleration of Florence relative to an instantaneously co-moving inertial frame". That is, it's the acceleration ##g## that Florence feels.

TSny said:
You cannot write ##\beta## as ##gt## because Florence does not have a constant acceleration ##g## relative to Methuselah.

Write ##\beta## as ##v## (since you are apparently letting ##c = 1##). You then have

##\frac{dv}{dt}=(1-v^2)^{3/2}g##. This is a differential equation whose solution will give you ##v(t)##.

It is helpful to rearrange it as ##\frac{1}{(1-v^2)^{3/2}}\frac{dv}{dt} = g##. The trick is to note that

##\frac{1}{(1-v^2)^{3/2}}\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{v}{(1-v^2)^{1/2}} \right)##
Oooook :-) Now I understand, I have to be careful from what perspective are all variables taken.
Thank you for a hint...it is helpful. So than I have ##v=\frac{gt}{\sqrt{1+g^2t^2}}##...nice.
Now I perfectly understand also the previous point, thanks this particular example. And also YOU ;-)
Now I put it in formula from #1 post and integrate...

Vrbic said:
I have ##v=\frac{gt}{\sqrt{1+g^2t^2}}##...nice.
Now I put it in formula from #1 post and integrate...
Yes. Good.

TSny said:
Yes. Good.
Unfortunately I have another problem, with limits of integral in #1. How to interpret that it stops after some part of time and go back.
My result of integration is$$T_F=\frac{1}{g}(Arcsinh(gT2_M)-Arcsinh(gT1_M))$$

I suppose it doesn't matter of change of direction of velocity and also acceleration (it is seen from first formula where is ##v^2##. And from result, if ##g## changes sign doesn't matter, because of sinh is an odd function.) So a time lapse in first part and third part is same and limits of the integral are from ##0## to ##TM1## resp. ##TM3## and it is ##T_F/4##, but in second part it's different it travels half of Florence time ##T_F/2##. Where ##T_M=TM1+TM2+TM3##.
What am I missing?

Vrbic said:
Unfortunately I have another problem, with limits of integral in #1. How to interpret that it stops after some part of time and go back.
My result of integration is$$T_F=\frac{1}{g}(Arcsinh(gT2_M)-Arcsinh(gT1_M))$$

I suppose it doesn't matter of change of direction of velocity and also acceleration (it is seen from first formula where is ##v^2##. And from result, if ##g## changes sign doesn't matter, because of sinh is an odd function.) So a time lapse in first part and third part is same and limits of the integral are from ##0## to ##TM1## resp. ##TM3## and it is ##T_F/4##, but in second part it's different it travels half of Florence time ##T_F/2##. Where ##T_M=TM1+TM2+TM3##.
What am I missing?
Break it up into four intervals ##T_M=TM1+TM2+TM3 + TM4## where each interval lasts ##T_F/4## of proper time. Argue that each quarter contributes the same.

TSny said:
Break it up into four intervals ##T_M=TM1+TM2+TM3 + TM4## where each interval lasts ##T_F/4## of proper time. Argue that each quarter contributes the same.
I understand, I thought about that, but I wasn't sure, wheather TM3 is same. Every of TMx starts with ##v=0## but TM3 starts with ##v\neq 0##. Actually I would say it isn't same, in #1 there is ##\int\sqrt{1-v^2}##.

##TM1## and ##TM3## start with ##v = 0## and end with ##v = v_{max}##.

##TM2## and ##TM4## start with ##v = v_{max}## and end with ##v = 0##.

TSny said:
##TM1## and ##TM3## start with ##v = 0## and end with ##v = v_{max}##.

##TM2## and ##TM4## start with ##v = v_{max}## and end with ##v = 0##.
I'm sorry I can't read :-) I've read it again and now I understand what the motion is.
Now it is clear, THANK YOU very much.

OK. Good.

Likes Vrbic

1. What is the Twins Paradox?

The Twins Paradox is a thought experiment in theoretical physics that explores the concept of time dilation, where one twin travels at high speeds in a spaceship while the other twin stays on Earth. Upon the traveling twin's return, they will have aged significantly less than their twin on Earth, leading to a paradoxical situation where the twin who traveled is now younger than their twin.

2. How is the Twins Paradox solved?

The Twins Paradox is solved by taking into account the principles of special relativity, specifically time dilation and the relativity of simultaneity. The traveling twin experiences time dilation, meaning time moves slower for them, while the twin on Earth experiences time at a normal rate. This results in a difference in the total time experienced by each twin, explaining the paradox.

3. Can the Twins Paradox be tested in real life?

While the Twins Paradox is a thought experiment, it has been indirectly tested through experiments in particle accelerators and with atomic clocks on airplanes. These experiments have confirmed the principles of special relativity and the concept of time dilation, providing evidence for the validity of the paradox.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the Twins Paradox?

The principles of time dilation and the Twins Paradox are crucial for modern technology, such as GPS satellites, which need to take into account the effects of relativity in order to accurately measure time and location on Earth. Understanding these concepts also has implications for space travel and potential future technologies that may require high-speed travel.

5. Is the Twins Paradox still a topic of scientific debate?

While the principles behind the Twins Paradox have been confirmed through experiments and calculations, there is still ongoing debate and research on the practical implications and potential exceptions to the paradox. Some theories, such as the twin paradox in a rotating universe, continue to be explored and tested in the scientific community.