Two-body problem in orbiting frame

• I
  • Thread starter Tetrapoil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, the conversation discusses a system where two point mass objects are orbiting each other and the trajectory of one of the objects in the orbiting but non-rotating frame centered on the other object. The equation for the acceleration of the object in this frame is also mentioned. The conversation also explores the possibility of the objects colliding and the use of calculus in describing their motion. The potential mistake of taking a finite time interval for the acceleration vector and the importance of considering its average over a small time interval is also highlighted.
Tetrapoil
TL;DR Summary
What is the acceleration acting on object 2 in the orbiting frame centered on object 1?
Hi,

I am interested in a system where two point mass objects 1 & 2 are orbiting each other. I want to compute the trajectory of object 2 in the orbiting but non-rotating frame centered on object 1. For some reason this confuses me...

Let r2 be the position of object 2 in such orbiting frame centered on object 1. The acceleration of object 2, in the orbiting frame, is

a2 = - (GM1/|r2|3) r2 - (GM2/|r2|3 )r2 .

The first term being the acceleration of object 2 from object 1, and the second term being the acceleration of object 1 relative to the inertial
frame. Of course, something is wrong as in this case object 2 will necessarily fall on object 1. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the objects must collide? The gravitational force is always in the direction between the two masses, so the acceleration of each object is always in this direction. e.g. the Earth is always accelerating towards the Sun.

Thanks for your reply. I agree, and this is what confuses me...
Let's say that I want to compute the trajectory of object 2 in such frame, I would have something roughly like that:

r2(t+1) = r2(t) + vr2*dt
where
vr2(t+1)= vr2(t) + ar2(t)*dt .

As vr(t=0) = 0 and ar2 < 0, r2 decreases, whatever the initial orbital velocity of object 2... Right?

Tetrapoil said:
Thanks for your reply. I agree, and this is what confuses me...
Let's say that I want to compute the trajectory of object 2 in such frame, I would have something roughly like that:

r2(t+1) = r2(t) + vr2*dt
where
vr2(t+1)= vr2(t) + ar2(t)*dt .

As vr(t=0) = 0 and ar2 < 0, r2 decreases, whatever the initial orbital velocity of object 2... Right?
In principle what you have is not that different from uniform circular motion. It's clearly not necessary that the radius decreases.

You may be making a common mistake of taking ##dt## to be some finite interval over which the acceleration vector is constant. That does make a mess of circular motion!

Instead, circular motion requires calculus to be done properly, with ##dt## as a differential and not a finite time interval.

It's of course not a good idea to try to describe the motion of one object in the rest frame of the other, which is a non-inertial frame to begin with. The most simple frame is the center-of-mass frame. The equation of motion for the relative vector ##\vec{r}=\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2## is
$$\mu \ddot{\vec{r}}=-\frac{G m_1 m_2}{r^3} \vec{r}$$
and not the strange formula you wrote in#1, where ##\mu=m_1 m_2/(m_1+m_2)## denotes the "reduced mass".

The solution of this "Kepler problem" is that either (a) the trajectory of ##r## is a conic section with one of its foci in the origin (i.e., the center of mass of the two-body system) or (b) straight lines.

Likes Leo Liu
PeroK said:
In principle what you have is not that different from uniform circular motion. It's clearly not necessary that the radius decreases.

You may be making a common mistake of taking ##dt## to be some finite interval over which the acceleration vector is constant. That does make a mess of circular motion!

Instead, circular motion requires calculus to be done properly, with ##dt## as a differential and not a finite time interval.
I see what you mean. I am in fact using a leapfrog integrator to numerically compute the position of object 2, with dt << 1, so in theory it should work (but it doesn't..).

Likes PeroK
vanhees71 said:
It's of course not a good idea to try to describe the motion of one object in the rest frame of the other, which is a non-inertial frame to begin with. The most simple frame is the center-of-mass frame. The equation of motion for the relative vector ##\vec{r}=\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2## is
$$\mu \ddot{\vec{r}}=-\frac{G m_1 m_2}{r^3} \vec{r}$$
and not the strange formula you wrote in#1, where ##\mu=m_1 m_2/(m_1+m_2)## denotes the "reduced mass".

The solution of this "Kepler problem" is that either (a) the trajectory of ##r## is a conic section with one of its foci in the origin (i.e., the center of mass of the two-body system) or (b) straight lines.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I have to consider the problem in the non-inertial frame orbiting with M1, for technical numerical reasons. I believe that your equation is the same as the one I wrote in #1. My problem may thus be mostly related to my numerical resolution of the equation...

The acceleration vector is continuously changing, so you would need to take its average over a small time interval ##dt##, not simply its value at the start of the interval.

That is probably your error and what is causing the iteration to go wrong.

Last edited:
Likes Tetrapoil
PeroK said:
The acceleration vector is continuously changing, so you would need to take its average over a small time interval ##dt##, not simply its value at the start of the interval.

That is probably your error and what is causing the interaction to go wrong.
That makes sense, indeed. Thanks a lot!

Again: I'd not choose the rest frame of one particle as the computational frame. It's much more simple to work in the center-of-mass frame, which is an inertial frame. That holds also true for numerical solutions of the equations of motion.

vanhees71 said:
Again: I'd not choose the rest frame of one particle as the computational frame. It's much more simple to work in the center-of-mass frame, which is an inertial frame. That holds also true for numerical solutions of the equations of motion.
The thing is that I am actually interested in the gas dynamics, assuming that these two objects orbit in some stratified medium. So I also account for the effect of the mass distribution on the trajectories of both particles (i.e. of particle 2 and of the non-inertial orbiting frame) as well as the fluid's self-gravity.
For numerical reasons, the (spherical) computational domain must be bounded by fixed (in the considered frame) and non-zero minimum and maximum radius. If I were to work in the center of mass frame, the latter would be inside an empty sphere of radius rmin, on which I would have to impose arbitrary unrealistic boundary conditions, impacting the fluid flow. In the rest frame of a particle, on the other hand, one can imagine that such a sphere of radius rmin is the actual physical object (e.g. star or planet), and somewhat realistic boundary conditions can be imposed.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Tetrapoil said:
The thing is that I am actually interested in the gas dynamics, assuming that these two objects orbit in some stratified medium. The code I use requires a domain that is bounded by fixed minimum and maximum radius. If I were to work in the center of mass frame, the latter would be inside an empty sphere of radius rmin, on which I would have to impose arbitrary unrealistic boundary conditions. In the rest frame of a particle, on the other hand, one can imagine that such a sphere of radius rmin is the actual physical object (e.g. star or planet), and somewhat realistic boundary conditions can be imposed.

Tetrapoil said:
The thing is that I am actually interested in the gas dynamics, assuming that these two objects orbit in some stratified medium. So I also account for the effect of the mass distribution on the trajectories of both particles (i.e. of particle 2 and of the non-inertial orbiting frame) as well as the fluid's self-gravity.
For numerical reasons, the (spherical) computational domain must be bounded by fixed (in the considered frame) and non-zero minimum and maximum radius. If I were to work in the center of mass frame, the latter would be inside an empty sphere of radius rmin, on which I would have to impose arbitrary unrealistic boundary conditions, impacting the fluid flow. In the rest frame of a particle, on the other hand, one can imagine that such a sphere of radius rmin is the actual physical object (e.g. star or planet), and somewhat realistic boundary conditions can be imposed.
On a side note, I have rewritten my leapfrog "kick-drift-kick" integrator, and everything seem to be working as intended.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the two-body problem in orbiting frame?

The two-body problem in orbiting frame is a mathematical problem that involves determining the motion of two bodies, such as a planet and a satellite, under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. It is a simplified version of the three-body problem, which is more complex and difficult to solve.

2. What are the two types of solutions for the two-body problem in orbiting frame?

The two types of solutions for the two-body problem in orbiting frame are the Keplerian and the non-Keplerian solutions. The Keplerian solution assumes that the two bodies are point masses and move in elliptical orbits around their common center of mass. The non-Keplerian solution takes into account the finite size and shape of the bodies, as well as external forces such as atmospheric drag.

3. How is the two-body problem in orbiting frame used in space missions?

The two-body problem in orbiting frame is used in space missions to calculate the trajectory of spacecraft and satellites. By solving the equations of motion for the two bodies, scientists and engineers can determine the necessary velocity and direction for a spacecraft to reach its desired orbit or destination.

4. What are some factors that can affect the two-body problem in orbiting frame?

Some factors that can affect the two-body problem in orbiting frame include the masses of the two bodies, their distance from each other, and their relative velocities. Other factors such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and the gravitational pull of other nearby objects can also have an impact on the motion of the bodies.

5. Why is the two-body problem in orbiting frame important in studying celestial bodies?

The two-body problem in orbiting frame is important in studying celestial bodies because it allows scientists to understand and predict the motion of planets, moons, and other objects in our solar system and beyond. By solving this problem, we can gain insights into the behavior of celestial bodies and their interactions with each other, which can help us better understand the universe and our place in it.