How Do You Calculate the Angle to Reach a Moving Target in a River?

In summary, the question is about a man swimming at 3m/s down a river, 50m from the edge and 1000m from the top, while a person in a boat at the top corner of the river is traveling at 10m/s. The goal is to determine the angle at which the boat should leave to reach the man. Several formulas, including for velocity and displacement, are provided but the person is having difficulty incorporating the movement of the swimming man into the equation. They have attempted to find the velocity of the man by making him stationary, but are unsure of how to continue and are asking for help.
st0nersteve
I was given this question as a study question but no solution provided. I am unsure how to solve the question.

Homework Statement

A man is swimming 3m/s down a river. The man is 50m from the edge and 1000m from the top of the river. If I am in a boat at the top corner of the river traveling 10m/s. what angle should i leave to reach the man.

The Attempt at a Solution

Currently i have no solution as to how to solve this equation. I am lost as to how to including movement of the swimming man into the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you feel? How can you start? Show some attempt first.

Ive made no attempt because i have no clue what do do.
the formulas i have are the basic
v=u +at
v(2) = u(2) + 2as
s=ut + 1/2at(2)
Im lost because i don't know time, the angle or the distance because of the swimming guy moving.

Tried to find the velcoity of cos (downstream) by making the swimming guy 0m/s but then i got confused because that would make it 7cos(theta) but there's no side movemnt by the guy so it should still be 10sin(theta) across.

so i tried to sub them together in one equation but it didnit work out and I am not completely sure how to rearrange to solve for (theta).

my mess of working out was something like.
s(length) = ut + 1/2at(2)
1000=7cos(theta)xt + 0 50 = 10sin(theta) x t
t = 50/ 10 sin(theta)
therfore 1000 = 200 * 6cos(theta) / 8sin(theta)

Its completely screwed up i know. I am lost and my head hurts

Post a diagram and then explain your attempt.

the scenario is the first diagram.

what i was thinking was diagram two. make the swimmer 0m/s. The only acting force for him is along the adjacent side, so the adjacent velocity will have to be 10cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] minus the 3m/s of the swimmer.

s = ut + 1/2at^2

Adjacent side Opposite side
50 = 10sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]*t + 1/2*0*t^2 1000=(10cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] - 3)*t
50 = 10sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]*t + 0 t= 1000/(10cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] - 3)
T=50/(10sin0[tex]\Theta[/tex])

Therefore: 50 = 10sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]*(1000/(10cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] - 3))
50 = 1000*(10sin[tex]\Theta[/tex] / (10cos[tex]\Theta[/tex] - 3)

If this is anywhere near the right track I am lost here.
if that minus three wasnt there i know that 10sin0/10cos0 = 10tan0

hopefully you can help me because I am running out of time and don't know how to solve this

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 431
  • proposed - stationary swimmer.jpg
    proposed - stationary swimmer.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 382

Related to How Do You Calculate the Angle to Reach a Moving Target in a River?

1. What is two dimension motion?

Two dimension motion refers to the movement of an object in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This means that the object is not only moving left or right, but also up or down.

2. What is the difference between two dimension motion and one dimension motion?

The main difference between the two is the number of directions in which the object is moving. In one dimension motion, the object is only moving in one direction (either horizontally or vertically). In two dimension motion, the object is moving in two directions simultaneously.

3. What are some examples of two dimension motion problems?

Some common examples of two dimension motion problems include projectile motion (such as throwing a ball), circular motion (such as a car going around a curve), and motion on an inclined plane.

4. How do you solve a two dimension motion problem?

To solve a two dimension motion problem, you will need to use equations and principles from both the horizontal and vertical directions. This often involves breaking down the motion into its x and y components, and then using kinematic equations to solve for the unknown variables.

5. What are some important things to remember when solving two dimension motion problems?

Some key things to keep in mind when solving these types of problems are to carefully draw a diagram to visualize the motion, break the motion into its horizontal and vertical components, use appropriate equations (such as the kinematic equations), and pay attention to units and directions. It is also important to understand the concept of vectors and how they relate to two dimension motion.