Two Integrals with Square Root

In summary, the conversation discusses two integrals that the person is having difficulty solving. They have tried using mathematica and wolfram, but have not been able to find an answer. They ask for help in tackling these integrals and provide the equations in Latex format. After some discussion, it is suggested that the problem may be related to the brachistochrone problem and the possibility of using a differential equation to solve it. However, the person mentions that they are not very skilled in differential equations and have used an approximation to solve it.
Barioth
Hi everyone I have these 2 integrate that I can't solve, I have tried them with mathematica and wolfram, but they can't find an answer, maybe someone have an idea on how I could tackle these 2 bad boy!

The first one is

\(\displaystyle \int{ \sqrt{ \frac{1+( \frac{1}{10}+ \frac{s}{25})^2}{ \frac {s}{10}+ \frac{s^2}{50}}}}ds \)

The second one is

\(\displaystyle \int{ \sqrt{ \frac{1+ \frac{4}{625}(-5+s)^2}{ 1-\frac{1}{25}(-5+s)^2}}}ds \)Edit: Corrected my Latex
Thanks for tacking a look!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: *tough* integrate

Hi Barioth, (Wave)

Your Latex syntax needs to be fixed a little bit it seems. I normally edit these things myself but I can't easily figure out what the integral is of so I don't want to guess. Can you try fixing the code or perhaps write it out in a different way so we can help you find the correct Latex code? :)

Barioth said:
Hi everyone I have these 2 integrate that I can't solve, I have tried them with mathematica and wolfram, but they can't find an answer, maybe someone have an idea on how I could tackle these 2 bad boy!

The first one is

\(\displaystyle \int{ \sqrt{ \frac{1+( \frac{1}{10}+ \frac{s}{25})^2}{ \frac {s}{10}+ \frac{s^2}{50}}}}ds \)

The second one is

\(\displaystyle \int{ \sqrt{ \frac{1+ \frac{4}{625}(-5+s)^2}{ 1-\frac{1}{25}(-5+s)^2}}}ds \)Edit: Corrected my Latex

They do not appear to succumb to any standard techniques. I suppose you could try http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f10/advanced-integration-techniques-3233/, but it's not clear to me where to put the parameter. You'd have to play around with it some.

Could you provide some context for us? From where did these integrals appear?

Barioth said:

The first one is

The second one is

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \sqrt{\frac{1 + \left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25} \right) ^2 }{\frac{s}{10} + \frac{s^2}{50}}} \,ds } &= \int{\left( \frac{\frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25}}{\frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25}} \right) \sqrt{ \frac{1 + \left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25} \right) ^2 }{ \frac{s}{10} + \frac{s^2}{50} } }\,ds} \\ &= \int{\frac{\frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25}}{\sqrt{\frac{s}{10} + \frac{s^2}{50}}} \sqrt{ \frac{1 + \left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25} \right)^2}{\left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25} \right) ^2} } \,ds } \end{align*}\)

Now make the substitution \(\displaystyle \displaystyle u = \frac{s}{10} + \frac{s^2}{25} \implies du = \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{50}\,ds \) and note that

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{s^2}{25} + \frac{s}{10} &= u \\ s^2 + \frac{5}{2}s &= 25u \\ s^2 + \frac{5}{2}s + \left( \frac{5}{4} \right) ^2 &= 25u + \left( \frac{5}{4} \right) ^2 \\ \left( s + \frac{5}{4} \right) ^2 &= \frac{400u + 25}{16} \\ s + \frac{5}{4} &= \pm \frac{\sqrt{400u + 25}}{4} \\ s &= \frac{-5 \pm 5\,\sqrt{16u + 1}}{4} \\ \frac{s}{25} &= \frac{-1 \pm \sqrt{16u + 1}}{20} \\ \frac{s}{25} + \frac{1}{10} &= \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{ 16u + 1}}{20} \end{align*}\)

Substituting into the integral gives

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{\frac{\frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25}}{\sqrt{\frac{s}{10} + \frac{s^2}{50}}} \sqrt{ \frac{1 + \left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25} \right)^2}{\left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{s}{25} \right) ^2} } \,ds } &= \int{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} \sqrt{ \frac{ 1 + \left( \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{ 16u + 1}}{20} \right) ^2 }{ \left( \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{ 16u + 1}}{20} \right) ^2} } \,du} \end{align*}\)

I think I may have made it worse. Will need to keep thinking...

At first there was this:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{ds}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}* \sqrt{ \frac{1+( \frac{1}{10}+ \frac{s}{25})^2}{ \frac {s}{10}+ \frac{s^2}{50}}}\)

and this

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{ds}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}*\sqrt{ \frac{1+ \frac{4}{625}(-5+s)^2}{ 1-\frac{1}{25}(-5+s)^2}}\)

I need a equation of s(y), So I tough I could just solve the integrate, but I'm starting to think that they may be no solution for it.

This come from

The time taken by a particule to do an infinitesimal path to the point (x+dx,y+dy) is given by

\(\displaystyle dt=\frac{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}}{\sqrt{2g(y_0-y)}}\)

Where x and y are the parametric parameter
with g= -1 and y0 = 0 I end up with

\(\displaystyle dt=\frac{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}}{\sqrt{2(y)}}\)

Maybe I should go with Diff Equation to solve this, but my skill in Diff Equations is near infinitesimal!

The bit at the end looks like the brachistochrone problem. Are you trying to solve that problem? Perhaps you're trying to find $y$ as a function of the arc length $s$?

Ackbach said:
The bit at the end looks like the brachistochrone problem. Are you trying to solve that problem? Perhaps you're trying to find $y$ as a function of the arc length $s$?
Yeah I had to compare it with some other function, I asked my teacher about it, he told me I really had to use an aproximation (wich I really wanted to avoid.)

With an aproximation it get the job done, but it doesn't seem as beautiful to me..

Anyway thanks for taking some of your time guys!

Related to Two Integrals with Square Root

1. What is a square root?

A square root is a mathematical operation that determines the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, because 3 x 3 = 9.

2. How do you solve an integral with a square root?

To solve an integral with a square root, you can use either substitution or integration by parts. First, rewrite the square root as an exponent of 1/2. Then, use the appropriate integration technique to evaluate the integral.

3. Can a square root be negative?

Yes, a square root can be negative. When a negative number is squared, the result is a positive number. However, it is important to note that the square root symbol (√) is typically used to represent the principal (positive) square root of a number.

4. How do you know if a square root is an exact value or an approximation?

If a square root is an exact value, it will be represented by a radical symbol (√) and the result will be an integer or a simplified fraction. If the square root is an approximation, it will be represented by a decimal or a rounded decimal.

5. Why do we use integrals with square roots?

Integrals with square roots are commonly used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, calculus, and statistics. They allow us to calculate important quantities, such as areas, volumes, and probabilities, that cannot be easily determined using basic algebra. Additionally, they provide a more precise and accurate representation of real-world phenomena.