Do Parallel PI Controllers Interfere with Each Other's Outputs in Matlab?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential interference in output signals when using two PI controllers in parallel. The input for both controllers is the same, but the output signals differ due to different P and I gains. A switch is used to select one of the signals. The question is whether there will be any interaction between the two controllers. A diagram of the setup may be helpful in understanding the situation.
San10
I had a question related to modelling in Matlab. Will there be an interference in output signals when there are two PI controllers working parallely.
the input for both PI controllers is the same. the output signals are different as the P and I gains given to both are different.

Note: there is a switch used in order to use one particular signal received from PI controllers.

I want to understand the working of model in this case.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
San10 said:
I had a question related to modelling in Matlab. Will there be an interference in output signals when there are two PI controllers working parallely.
the input for both PI controllers is the same. the output signals are different as the P and I gains given to both are different.

Note: there is a switch used in order to use one particular signal received from PI controllers.

I want to understand the working of model in this case.
Thanks in advance!
Can you post a diagram for the setup? As long as the two outputs are not connected, and as long as the input impedance of each PID is constant (not modulated by feedback or other means), then I would think that the two PID controllers should not "talk" to each other...

Likes FactChecker

What is a parallel PI controller?

A parallel PI controller is a type of controller used in control systems to regulate a process. It stands for Proportional-Integral controller and consists of two main components: a proportional control and an integral control.

How does a parallel PI controller work?

The proportional control component of a parallel PI controller calculates the difference between the setpoint and the process variable and multiplies it by a constant gain. The integral control component integrates this error over time and multiplies it by a constant gain. The outputs of these two components are then added together to generate the controller output, which is used to adjust the process.

What are the advantages of using a parallel PI controller?

One advantage of using a parallel PI controller is its ability to quickly respond to changes in the process variable while also eliminating steady-state errors. It is also relatively simple to implement and can be tuned to provide stable and accurate control over a wide range of processes.

What are the limitations of a parallel PI controller?

A parallel PI controller may have difficulty controlling processes with long time delays or unstable dynamics. It also requires careful tuning to ensure optimal performance, and may not be suitable for complex processes with multiple control loops.

How can a parallel PI controller be tuned?

A parallel PI controller can be tuned by adjusting the values of the proportional and integral gains. This can be done manually through trial and error, or through mathematical calculations using methods such as the Ziegler-Nichols method. It is important to carefully tune the controller to achieve the desired control performance.