Two questions involving lines and planes

In summary, the conversation involved two questions about lines and planes. The first question was about finding the intersection of a line passing through (1,0,1) and (4,-2,4) and a plane with equation x+y+z=10. The solution involved finding the direction vector of the line and using the equation of the plane to solve for t, which led to the incorrect answer of (4,-2,4). The second question involved finding parametric equations for the line of intersection between two planes with equations 4x-3y+z=1 and 3x+y-4z=4. One method suggested was setting z=0 and finding the unique point of intersection between the two lines formed by the planes
TeenieBopper
I have two questions involving lines and planes. They're both fairly simple, but I'm stuck. I'm sure someone is going to point something out and it's going to make me smack my forehead.

Homework Statement

Where does the line through*(1, 0, 1) and (4,*−2,*4) intersect the plane*x*+*y*+*z*=*10?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know I need to get the equation of the line between (1,0,1) and (4, -2, 4). I find the direction vector to be <3, -2, 3>. Now, r(t)=r0+tv, which, using (1,0,1) as r), I find to be:

r(t)=(1-3t, 2t, 1-3t)

Once I have those, I simply plug those values into the equation of the plane to find t.

(1-3t)+(-2t)+1-3t)=10
2-8t=10
t=-1

And now I take that value of t and plug it into t(t) to get (x,y,z) coordinates. So (x,y,z)=(4, -2, 4).

However, (4, -2, 4) is incorrect.

Homework Statement

Consider the following planes.
4x*−*3y*+*z*=*1 and*****3x*+*y*−*4z*=*4
(a) Find parametric equations for the line of intersection of the planes. (Use the parameter*t.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So n1= <4, -3, 1> and n2=<3, 1, -4>, and I can find the direction of the line of intersection by finding the cross product of n1Xn2, which is <-13, 19, -5>. However, to find the parametric equation of the line, I still need r0, but I don't know how to find a value that is on the line.Thanks in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, you put -2t instead of 2t when you substituted into the equation of the plane to try to solve for t.

For the second problem, one thing that springs to mind is you can set z=0. Each of the planes cuts that plane in a line, and those two lines have a unique point of intersection, which is where the common line between the planes cuts the z=0 plane.

I suspect this is not what you're intended to do, though, because it requires a little creativity. There's probably a simpler method.

Related to Two questions involving lines and planes

1. What is the difference between a line and a plane?

A line is a one-dimensional figure that extends infinitely in both directions. It can be thought of as a series of connected points. A plane, on the other hand, is a two-dimensional figure that extends infinitely in all directions. It can be thought of as a flat surface that has length and width.

2. How are lines and planes related?

A line can lie within a plane, meaning that all points on the line also lie on the plane. A plane can also intersect a line, meaning that it crosses through the line at a specific point. Additionally, a plane can contain multiple lines, as long as the lines lie in the same plane.

3. Can a line and a plane be parallel?

Yes, a line and a plane can be parallel if they do not intersect. In order for a line to be parallel to a plane, the line must lie in the same plane as the given plane or it must be perpendicular to the plane.

4. How many lines can intersect a plane at a given point?

Only one line can intersect a plane at a given point. If there were more than one line passing through the same point on a plane, then the lines would not truly be lines but rather the same line.

5. Can a line and a plane be skew?

No, a line and a plane cannot be skew. Skew lines and planes are not parallel but also do not intersect. Since a line and a plane must intersect at some point, they cannot be skew.