Two pH questions i don't understand

• Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the answer to the first question is that a 0.001 M solution of Ba(OH)2 has a higher pH than a 0.001 M solution of NaOH. This is because the molarity of Ba(OH)2 is twice that of NaOH, and the number of moles of OH in Ba(OH)2 is also twice that of NaOH, resulting in a higher pH. For the second question, the answer is that a 1.0 × 10-8M solution of HCl has a pH less than 7, according to the definition of pH. The molarity and number of moles of HCl do not affect the answer.
AMan24

Homework Statement

1) Which solution has the higher pH, a 0.001 M solution of NaOH or a 0.001 M solution of Ba(OH)2?

2) Would a 1.0 × 10-8M solution of HCl have pH < 7,
pH = 7, or pH > 7? My professor said she shouldn't have put HCl as the solution, but that it doesn't matter apparently.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) answer is: A 0.001 M solution of Ba(OH)2 has the higher pH

2) answer is: pH < 7

My question:

For 1) How do i determine this? I have no idea how

For 2) I'm doing pH = -log[1.0 x 10-8] and I am getting pH = 8. How is the answer less than 7?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AMan24 said:
1.0 × 10-8M solution
Of what?
AMan24 said:
How do i determine this? I have no idea how
Are you conversant with the concepts of stoichiometry?

Bystander said:
Of what?
Are you conversant with the concepts of stoichiometry?
It was HCl but she said it doesn't matter.

Yes i know stoichiometry

Please DO NOT edit. It makes it impossible to follow discussions.

And if the solute were a base? It matters.
What does stoichiometry tell you?

Bystander said:
Please DO NOT edit. It makes it impossible to follow discussions.

And if the solute were a base? It matters.
What does stoichiometry tell you?
I guess I could find the number of moles of OH in each of the molecules using molarity. And the Ba(OH)2 would have 2x the number of moles. If that's right then I could also figure it out if it were two different molarities.

Answer to 2 follows directly from definition of pH, and the one you give, I don't know whether it is yours or what you were told, seems wrong to me.

For 1 you are on the right lines; what do you think are the molarities of everything that is there in that Ba(OH)2 solution?

Last edited:

1. What is pH and how is it measured?

pH is a measure of how acidic or basic a substance is on a scale of 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most basic. It is measured using a pH meter or pH paper, which changes color based on the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution.

2. What does it mean if a substance has a pH of 7?

A pH of 7 indicates that the substance is neutral, meaning it is neither acidic nor basic. This is the pH of pure water at room temperature.

3. What is the difference between pH and pOH?

pH and pOH are both measures of acidity, but they are inversely related. pH measures the concentration of hydrogen ions, while pOH measures the concentration of hydroxide ions. A neutral solution has a pH of 7 and a pOH of 7, but as one increases, the other decreases.

4. How does temperature affect pH?

In general, as temperature increases, the pH of a solution will decrease. This is because the rate of ionization of water increases with temperature, resulting in more hydrogen ions and a lower pH. However, this may not always be the case and can vary depending on the specific substance.

5. What are some common substances with a pH of 1?

A pH of 1 is highly acidic and is often found in substances such as battery acid, lemon juice, and gastric acid in the stomach. These substances have a high concentration of hydrogen ions, resulting in a low pH value.