Two rods are connected one silver and the other gold.

In summary, Professor gives a starting point for the problem and explains how to find the thermal conductivity. He then gives two thermal conductivity values for silver and gold, which add up to 100. The total heat is found by multiplying the conductivity by 100.
smashman101
Missing homework template due to originally being posted in other forum.
Two metal rods, one silver and the other gold, are attached to each other. The free end of the silver rod is connected to a steam chamber, with a temperature of 100oC, and the free end of gold rod to a ice water bath, with a temp of 00 C. The rods are 5.0 cm long and have a square cross-section, 2.0cm on a side. How much heat flows through the two rods in 60s? The thermal conductivity of silver= 417 W/(m*K), and that of gold is 291 W/(m*K). No heat is exchanged between the rods and the surroundings, except at the ends.

The answer is 8.2 KJ, as given by professor. I cannot get that answer.

He gave us a starting point.
H=ΔQ/Δt = kA((TH-TL)/L)
Where TH=100°C, TL=0°C, Ks=417 W/(m*K), Kg= 291 W/(m*K), A=.0004m2, L=.05m, t=60s

You must find the temperature where the two meet first, T'.

Heat loss=Heat gain; Qsilver=Qgold
ksA((TH-T')/L)=kgA(T'-TL)/L)
ksTH-ksT'=kgT'-kgTL
T'=((ksTH)-(kgTL)/(ks+kg))
So...T'=417*100-291*0/(417+291) T'=58.8°C

Then us 58.8°C for the low and high in the initial equation to get heat.
This is were it gets messy for me.
He gave the hint ΔQ=(ΔQ/Δt)*Δt
Hs=ksA((TH-T')/L)
Hs=417*(.0004)((100-58.8)/.05)
Hs=137.4 J/s

Hg=291*(.0004)((58.8-0)/.05)
Hg=136.8 J/s

We know Q=H*t
Qs=Hs*t=137.4*60=8246J⇒8.2KJ
Qg=Hg*t=136.8*60=8213J

ΔQ=(ΔQ/Δt)*Δt
So (Qs-Qg)/60)*60=3322J←Is not right.

I saw that since we found T', and Hg=Hg, the total heat for the system is just Hg or Hg.

Ive tried many ways, it just seems i cannot get 8.2KJ
If anyone can shed some light that would be much appreciated!
[/SUB][/SUB]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general: you should work with units, that often helps to spot mistakes. This problem is one example.

Several brackets are missing. "a-b/c" is "a - (b/c)", but your calculations need "(a-b)/c".
smashman101 said:
Hg=291*.004(58.8-0/.005)
What is 0.004? It is not the cross-section in square meters. 0.005 is not the length in meters either. Fix both and your Qs and Qg values match the given answer, as they should. The small difference between the two numbers comes from rounding errors I guess. You could keep one or two more digits for the temperature in the middle.

smashman101 said:
ΔQ=(ΔQ/Δt)*Δt
So (Qs-Qg)/60)*60=3322J←Is not right.
I don't know what you are calculating here, you got the answer in the lines above already. It does not make sense to calculate the difference between the thermal energy conducted in silver and gold.I would not calculate the temperature in the middle - it is faster if you convert the conductivity to thermal resistance, because you can add the resistances of silver and gold then. The approach needs more thought but the calculations are easier.

mfb said:
In general: you should work with units, that often helps to spot mistakes. This problem is one example.

Several brackets are missing. "a-b/c" is "a - (b/c)", but your calculations need "(a-b)/c".
What is 0.004? It is not the cross-section in square meters. 0.005 is not the length in meters either. Fix both and your Qs and Qg values match the given answer, as they should. The small difference between the two numbers comes from rounding errors I guess. You could keep one or two more digits for the temperature in the middle.

I don't know what you are calculating here, you got the answer in the lines above already. It does not make sense to calculate the difference between the thermal energy conducted in silver and gold.I would not calculate the temperature in the middle - it is faster if you convert the conductivity to thermal resistance, because you can add the resistances of silver and gold then. The approach needs more thought but the calculations are easier.
Ha, I can't believe i just messed up the conversions, I've spent way too long on this one because of it. I kept going with it, trying to to get the answer down a couple digits. I was thinking there had to be a way to go directly from one side to the other without solving for T', but we have yet to learn this thermal resistance you speak of.

In case you had some introduction to electrical circuits already: it is the same concept there with two resistances in series.

If you take the conductivity values and the sizes of the objects, you can calculate the conductivity in W/K. "What is the heat flow for a given temperature difference". You get two values (one for silver, one for gold), but you want to find a single one for the total system (as you know the total temperature difference).
Instead of conductivity, consider the inverse value (let's call this R). It has units K/W and tells you how large the temperature difference (between the two ends) is for a given heat flow. Those temperature differences add up - you know their sum is 100.

Therefore, Rs + Rg = Rtotal

Take the inverse value again, and you have the conductivity in W/K for the total system. Multiplied by 100 K you get the total heat flow.

1. What are the physical properties of silver and gold?

Silver is a white, lustrous metal with the highest electrical and thermal conductivity of any element. Gold is a soft, dense, yellow metal that is also a good conductor of electricity and heat.

2. How are silver and gold commonly used in industry?

Silver is commonly used in electrical and electronics industries, as well as in jewelry and silverware. Gold is used in a variety of industries, including electronics, jewelry, dentistry, and aerospace due to its high conductivity and resistance to corrosion.

3. How are silver and gold connected in the rods?

In this context, the rods are most likely connected through a physical or chemical bonding process, such as welding or soldering. They may also be connected through a mechanical joint, such as a screw or clamp.

4. What happens when silver and gold are in contact with each other?

When silver and gold are in contact with each other, a galvanic reaction may occur due to the difference in their electrical potentials. This can lead to corrosion or erosion of the metals if they are exposed to an electrolyte, such as moisture.

5. Are there any advantages to using both silver and gold in the rods?

Using both silver and gold in the rods may provide a combination of properties that are beneficial for certain applications. For example, the high conductivity of silver combined with the corrosion resistance of gold may be useful in electronics or other industries where both properties are desired.