Two slit experiment - variable detector

In summary, the conversation discusses the two slit experiment and the placement of detectors to determine which slit the particle has gone through. The question is raised about what happens when the accuracy of the detectors is varied, and it is suggested that this could result in patterns between a full diffraction pattern and a full particle-like pattern. It is also noted that the amount of knowledge and information obtained from observing the detectors and the screen plays a role in the interference pattern. Lastly, it is concluded that adding an electric circuit to the detectors would not change the interference pattern.
tj8888
I have a question about the situation with the two slit experiment where detectors are placed by the two slits to determine which slit the particle has gone through (and destroy the diffraction pattern).

Okay, so what I'm wondering is what happens if the detectors' accuracy is not fixed, but can be tuned. As you alter the accuracy of the detectors would you then get patterns midway between the full diffraction pattern and the full particle-like pattern? By accuracy I mean the ability to determine the particles position (I realize that in QM the particle doesn't actually have a position).

Physics news on Phys.org
tj8888 said:
I have a question about the situation with the two slit experiment where detectors are placed by the two slits to determine which slit the particle has gone through (and destroy the diffraction pattern).

Okay, so what I'm wondering is what happens if the detectors' accuracy is not fixed, but can be tuned. As you alter the accuracy of the detectors would you then get patterns midway between the full diffraction pattern and the full particle-like pattern? By accuracy I mean the ability to determine the particles position (I realize that in QM the particle doesn't actually have a position).

Sure, if you vary the amount of knowledge you get, you vary the amount of diffraction.

DrChinese said:
Sure, if you vary the amount of knowledge you get, you vary the amount of diffraction.

If you vary the amount of information that is lost to the environment, you vary the amount of interference. Note that you are not only observing the detectors, you are also observing the screen (and interference pattern).

DrChinese said:

Would it matter how the accuracy of the detector is reduced? Let's say you reduce the amount of knowledge by just adding a circuit to the detector that adds electrical noise to the results. Would that decrease in knowledge work as well to adjust the diffraction?

tj8888 said:
Would it matter how the accuracy of the detector is reduced? Let's say you reduce the amount of knowledge by just adding a circuit to the detector that adds electrical noise to the results. Would that decrease in knowledge work as well to adjust the diffraction?

No. Adding the electric circuit would not change the interference pattern. The amount of knowledge that you get from observing the detectors does not matter. What matters is the amount of information that you get from observing the screen. That amount would be less if you place which-path detectors on the way.

Last edited:

Related to Two slit experiment - variable detector

What is the two slit experiment?

The two slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shooting a beam of particles or waves through two parallel slits and observing the resulting pattern on a screen.

What is a variable detector in the two slit experiment?

A variable detector is a device used in the two slit experiment to detect the particles or waves that pass through the slits. It can be adjusted to detect different properties of the particles or waves, such as their position, momentum, or energy.

What is the purpose of using a variable detector in the two slit experiment?

The purpose of using a variable detector is to observe the behavior of particles or waves as they pass through the slits. By adjusting the detector, scientists can gather information about the properties of the particles or waves and how they behave when they interact with the slits.

What are the implications of the two slit experiment for our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The two slit experiment has significant implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics. It suggests that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and that their behavior is influenced by the act of observation. This challenges traditional notions of causality and determinism in physics.

How has the two slit experiment been used in other areas of science?

The two slit experiment has been used in various fields of science, including optics, quantum mechanics, and even biology. It has been used to study the behavior of light and other particles, as well as to understand the principles of interference and diffraction. The experiment has also been adapted to study the behavior of electrons in complex molecules and to investigate the wave-like properties of DNA.