Two solenoids and a ferrite bar

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of two solenoid coils, one wound on a ferrite rod and the other wound in larger diameter near the ferrite rod, for wireless communication. The individual asks for tips on how to calculate or estimate the mutual inductance and reluctance for this circuit, as well as how to determine the fraction of flux that goes to the ferrite rod. The expert suggests measuring mutual inductance by connecting the coils in different orientations and calculating the difference in inductance.
riscy00
I have two solenoid coils, one is wounded on ferrite rod and other is wounded in larger diameter in proxmity of ferrite rod, see picture. It is used as wireless comm (simplex) between RX and TX where I use resonance on TX to maximise signal gains

After bit of reading and now familar with mutual inductance between two air solenoid, impact of cross section area and so on.

(1) How to calculate or estimate mutual inductance as well as coupling coeff under this diagram.
(2) If possible tip how to calculate/estimate the reluctance for this circuit.

My gut feeling that not all flux path will goes to ferrites as flux concreator and need to estimate out how much fraction of flux goes to ferrite rod.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 494
Engineering news on Phys.org
riscy00 said:
I have two solenoid coils, one is wounded on ferrite rod and other is wounded in larger diameter in proxmity of ferrite rod, see picture. It is used as wireless comm (simplex) between RX and TX where I use resonance on TX to maximise signal gains

After bit of reading and now familar with mutual inductance between two air solenoid, impact of cross section area and so on.

(1) How to calculate or estimate mutual inductance as well as coupling coeff under this diagram.
(2) If possible tip how to calculate/estimate the reluctance for this circuit.

My gut feeling that not all flux path will goes to ferrites as flux concreator and need to estimate out how much fraction of flux goes to ferrite rod.
It is very difficult to calculate the inductance of ferrite rod inductors, and opinions differ as to how to do it. The effective permeability is much less than that of the material itself. So why not just measure it? Mutual inductance can be found if you connect the coils first aiding, then opposing, and measure total inductance for the two cases. Then M = (L1 - L2) /4.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. It is often used as an electromagnet in various devices.

2. How do two solenoids and a ferrite bar work together?

When two solenoids are placed on either side of a ferrite bar, the magnetic fields created by the solenoids interact with the magnetic properties of the ferrite bar. This results in a stronger and more focused magnetic field in the center of the bar.

3. What is a ferrite bar?

A ferrite bar is a type of magnetic material that is commonly used to enhance the magnetic field in devices such as antennas, motors, and transformers. It is made up of iron oxide and other metallic elements.

4. What are the applications of two solenoids and a ferrite bar?

Two solenoids and a ferrite bar can be used in various devices such as magnetic sensors, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and speakers. They can also be used in electronic circuits to amplify and control magnetic fields.

5. How can the strength of the magnetic field in two solenoids and a ferrite bar be increased?

The strength of the magnetic field can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the solenoids, increasing the current passing through the solenoids, and using a higher quality ferrite material in the bar. Proper positioning and alignment of the solenoids and bar can also affect the strength of the field.