Two state system probabilities

In summary: Mathematical induction can be tricky, but it's a powerful tool for proving statements about number patterns and series. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it! In summary, The conversation discusses studying statistical physics from a book and the basics of statistics and probabilities, including the normalization condition and the probability of obtaining certain occurrences. The speaker is familiar with combinatorics but is struggling with proving a statement using mathematical induction. The other person suggests taking a fresh look at it tomorrow and practicing to improve understanding.
anachin6000
I started to study statistical physics from a book, and it starts with basics about statistics and probabilities (which are things mostly new for me).
In the book there is the following statement:

"The simplest non-trivial system which we can investigate using probability theory is one for which there are only two possible outcomes. There would obviously be little point in investigating a one outcome system. Let us suppose that there are two possible outcomes to an observation made on some system S. Let us denote these outcomes 1 and 2, and let their probabilities of occurrence be
P(1) = p,
P(2) = q.
It follows immediately from the normalization condition that
p + q = 1,
so q = 1 − p.
The probability of obtaining n1 occurrences of the outcome 1 in N observations is given by
PN(n1) = CN (n1,N−n1) p^(n1) q^(N−n1), (2.16) where CN (n1,N−n1) is the number of ways of arranging two distinct sets of n1 and N − n1 indistinguishable objects."

I'm familiar with combinatorics, so I find it obvious that their CN (n1,N−n1) is Cn1 N.
But I'm very curious how this can be proved. They give an example, but not a general demonstration. I've thought about it, but I couldn't do the demonstration. Can someone help me with it.
I must mention: it is not homework, it is just for my personal knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
anachin6000 said:
I started to study statistical physics from a book, and it starts with basics about statistics and probabilities (which are things mostly new for me).
In the book there is the following statement:

"The simplest non-trivial system which we can investigate using probability theory is one for which there are only two possible outcomes. There would obviously be little point in investigating a one outcome system. Let us suppose that there are two possible outcomes to an observation made on some system S. Let us denote these outcomes 1 and 2, and let their probabilities of occurrence be
P(1) = p,
P(2) = q.
It follows immediately from the normalization condition that
p + q = 1,
so q = 1 − p.
The probability of obtaining n1 occurrences of the outcome 1 in N observations is given by
PN(n1) = CN (n1,N−n1) p^(n1) q^(N−n1), (2.16) where CN (n1,N−n1) is the number of ways of arranging two distinct sets of n1 and N − n1 indistinguishable objects."

I'm familiar with combinatorics, so I find it obvious that their CN (n1,N−n1) is Cn1 N.
But I'm very curious how this can be proved. They give an example, but not a general demonstration. I've thought about it, but I couldn't do the demonstration. Can someone help me with it.
I must mention: it is not homework, it is just for my personal knowledge.

You could prove it by induction. Have you come across mathematical induction?

PeroK said:
You could prove it by induction. Have you come across mathematical induction?

Yes, I know about mathematical induction, but I was never good at using it. After your reply, I tried to it, but with no success.
First of all I tried to verify for 0, but it didn't verify, same for 1. I might miss something because I'm very tired.

anachin6000 said:
Yes, I know about mathematical induction, but I was never good at using it. After your reply, I tried to it, but with no success.
First of all I tried to verify for 0, but it didn't verify, same for 1. I might miss something because I'm very tired.

If you're tired, why not take a fresh look at it tomorrow.

1. What is a two state system?

A two state system is a physical system that can exist in only two distinct states. This means that the system can only have two possible outcomes or configurations at any given time.

2. What are the probabilities associated with a two state system?

The probabilities associated with a two state system are the chances of the system being in one state or the other. These probabilities can be calculated using mathematical equations based on the system's properties and conditions.

3. How do you calculate the probabilities of a two state system?

The probabilities of a two state system can be calculated using the formula P = n/N, where P is the probability, n is the number of favorable outcomes, and N is the total number of possible outcomes. In a two state system, n will always be 1, as there are only two possible outcomes.

4. What is the significance of two state system probabilities in science?

Two state system probabilities are important in science as they allow us to predict and understand the behavior of physical systems. They are used in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to study and analyze various phenomena.

5. Can the probabilities of a two state system change over time?

Yes, the probabilities of a two state system can change over time. This can be due to external factors or changes in the system itself. For example, in a chemical reaction, the probabilities of the reactants and products may change as the reaction progresses.