Two systems merging, what is final temp?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two gas tanks with different volumes and pressures, connected by a valve. The question involves finding the final temperature after the valve is opened, given the initial temperatures and the fact that no energy is lost. One person uses the equation U = cNRT to find the energies of each tank, while another uses PV = nRT to find the final temperature. The book's answer is slightly different from one person's calculation, leading to a question of whether there is a misprint or a mistake in the calculation.
mateomy
Hi all,

I just want to see if my work is correct because it's not matching the answer in the book:

A tank has a volume of 0.1 [itex]m^3[/itex] and is filled with He gas at a pressure of [itex]5x10^6[/itex] Pa. A second tank has a volume of 0.15 [itex]m^3[/itex] and is filled with He gas at a pressure of [itex]6x10^6[/itex] Pa. A valve connecting the two tanks is opened...

(My problem references this question and asks...)

If the temperatures within the two tanks before opening the valve, had been T = 300K and 350 K respectively, what would the final temperature be?

So what I did was utilize this equation:
[tex]
U = cNRT
[/tex]
to find the energies of each. Based off of the 'adiabatic and rigid' statement given I know no energy is lost to heat flow or work on the walls.

I get energies for the respective systems of 3741 J and 4365 J. Adding those together I get 8106.
Now I just plug that number back into the former equation (this time manipulated):
[tex]
T = \frac{U}{cNR}
[/tex]

And I'm getting a temp of 324.9 K. The book says 330 K. Need some help, am I wrong or is this a misprint?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using PV = nRT and assuming PV is proportional to the energy content I find that the book's value is reasonable...

1. How do you calculate the final temperature when two systems merge?

The final temperature of two merging systems can be calculated using the equation:Tf = (m1 * T1 + m2 * T2) / (m1 + m2)where Tf is the final temperature, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two systems, and T1 and T2 are their respective temperatures.

2. What factors affect the final temperature when two systems merge?

The final temperature is affected by the masses and initial temperatures of the two systems. Other factors such as the specific heat capacity and phase changes of the substances involved may also play a role.

3. Can the final temperature be lower than the initial temperatures of the two systems?

Yes, it is possible for the final temperature to be lower than the initial temperatures of the two systems. This can happen if one of the systems has a significantly lower initial temperature, or if there is a phase change that absorbs heat energy.

4. How does the energy transfer between the two systems during the merging process?

The energy transfer between the two systems during merging is dependent on the specific heat capacity and masses of the substances involved. Heat energy will flow from the system with a higher temperature to the one with a lower temperature until thermal equilibrium is reached.

5. What is the significance of calculating the final temperature when two systems merge?

Calculating the final temperature when two systems merge can help us understand and predict the effects of mixing different substances, such as in chemical reactions or heat exchange processes. It also allows us to determine the amount of energy transfer that occurs during the merging process.