Tympani in a concert hall: calculating Sound Pressure Level (SPL) and delay

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a seat in a concert hall and the sound pressure level of a note played by a tympanist. The first reflection from a nearby sidewall is measured to arrive 105 msec after the direct sound, and the questions involve calculating the distance traveled by the reflection, the SPL of the reflection, and the delay between the direct sound and the reflection. The given solution for the delay of 105 msec is incorrect and should be 31 msec. The relationship between sound pressure and distance is discussed and the correct equation for calculating SPL is given.
Rorshach

Homework Statement

Hello. I have a problem, which is as follows:
A seat in a concert hall is 84 ft from the tympani. The tympanist strikesa single note. The sound pressure level of the direct sound of the note at the seat is measured to be 55 dB. The first reflection from the nearest sidewall arrives at the seat 105 msec after the arrival of the direct sound.
A) How far does the reflection travel to reach the seat?
B) What is the SPL of the reflection at the seat, assuming perfect reflection at the wall?
C) How long will the reflection be delayed after arrival of the direct sound at the seat?

Homework Equations

sound speed in air:
1130 ft/sec
SPL=20log(p/pref)

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing is, they are all solved in the book right under the data, but I don't understand anything beyond the first question and its solution. I would like to ask for some explanation on how why this is solved in this particular way.
First one is easy, I got this:

A)distance=(1130ft/sec)(0.105 sec)=118.7 ft

Please help me understand the other two questions.
Solutions to the are:
B)52 dB
C)30.7 msec

So far point C) is most confusing to me, isn't the answer given in the problem(105 msec)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rorshach said:
B)52 dB
How does sound pressure depend on distance?
Rorshach said:
A)distance=(1130ft/sec)(0.105 sec)=118.7 ft
That is wrong. If this is given as the correct answer then I conclude that the information given is garbled. My guess is that the given 105msec is not the delay after the direct sound. That would explain why question C makes no sense.

I wrote everything down word for word from my book. I am barely on page 30 and so far there have been few questionable equations, but those two just boggle me. Under every question there are equations and small adnotations for what is being done to solve the problem, so I will write entire problem as it stands in the book, starting with solution for the first question and ending on the last question:

A) How far does the reflectiontravel to reach the seat?
Distance=(1130 ft/sec)(0.105 sec)=118.7 ft

B)What is the SPL of the reflection at the seat, assuming perfect reflection at the wall?
First, the level L, 1 ft from the tympani, must be estimated:
55=L-20log(84/1)
L=55+38.5=93.5dB

The SPL of the reflection at the seat is:
dB=93.5-20log(118.7/1)=93.5-41.5=52dB

C)How long will the reflection be delayed after arrival of the direct sound at the seat?
The reflection will arrive after the direct sound at the seat after:
delay=(118.7-84)/1130ft/sec=30.7 msec
A free field is also assumed here. The 30.7 msec reflection might be called an incipient echo.
I am lost on how this is done, please people, if you understand how this is solved like this- explain it to me like to a 6 yo.

Suppose it takes time t for the direct sound to arrive.
According to the question, it takes time t+0.105 s for the reflected sound. That makes the total distance traveled by the reflected sound 1130(t+0.105)=84+118.7ft.
Judging from the given answers to a and c, I suggest the question is supposed to read:
"The first reflection from the nearest sidewall arrives at the seat 105 msec after being emitted"

I am sorry, but I still don't understand it. Maybe one of my brain cells is locked, but the the second, and especially the third question and their solutions are not understandable to me. Why the "delay" is not 105 msec? That question is constructed in such a way that it leaves no option but to think that 105 msec is what they ask for.

Rorshach said:
Why the "delay" is not 105 msec?
You do not seem to understand my previous post. I am saying that the question has been misstated. It is supposed to say that the 105ms is from when the timpani made the sound to when the echo arrived. That makes the answer 118.7ft correct for a), and the time between the two arrivals is 105ms-(84/1130)s = 31msec.

I will reply separately re b).

For b, how does the sound pressure depend on distance?

Sorry for not replying for so long- my laptop had a severe malfunction of graphics card after windows 10 update. Sound pressure decreases with 1/r at a distance from sound source.

Rorshach said:
Sorry for not replying for so long- my laptop had a severe malfunction of graphics card after windows 10 update. Sound pressure decreases with 1/r at a distance from sound source.
Ok.
You are given the SPL of the direct sound. If the sound pressure of the direct sound is pdirect, what is the relationship between that and pref?
Using the known distances, what is the relationship between pdirect and preflected?

I understood it some time ago, sorry for not responding for so long- did You mean this approach:
p ∝ 1/r
p1 ∝ 1/r1
p2 ∝ 1/r2
p2/p1 = r1/r2
p2 = p1 * r1/r2

SPLreflected = 20log10(preflected/preference)

Rorshach said:
I understood it some time ago, sorry for not responding for so long- did You mean this approach:
p ∝ 1/r
p1 ∝ 1/r1
p2 ∝ 1/r2
p2/p1 = r1/r2
p2 = p1 * r1/r2

SPLreflected = 20log10(preflected/preference)
Yes, except that that sequence is not mathematically correct.
p1 ∝ 1/r1 does not mean anything. Proportionality is a property of variables, whereas p1 and p2 are constants. Better would be
p ∝ 1/r
p =k/r for some constant k
p1 =k/r1
Etc.

Yes, You are right. There is also one more problem- an easy one, about loudspeaker SPL.In the book they give the solution, but when I checked it on calculator, the results were different. Results they gave were intuitive, but formulas they used give completely different result. Do You think I can post this problem in this thread or should I start a new one?

Rorshach said:
Yes, You are right. There is also one more problem- an easy one, about loudspeaker SPL.In the book they give the solution, but when I checked it on calculator, the results were different. Results they gave were intuitive, but formulas they used give completely different result. Do You think I can post this problem in this thread or should I start a new one?
Better to post a new one.

Ok, I will. Thank You for your help- I have one question regarding the approach You suggested. The results from method proposed in the book (52 dB) differ slightly from the one You proposed(~51dB). Is it ok? I mean, the dependence of acoustic pressure on distance is not a strict rule, but more of an approximation, right?

Rorshach said:
the one You proposed(~51dB).
I get 52dB. Please post your working.

55 dB = 20log(p1/pref)
55 = 20log(p1/20*10-6)
2.75 = log(p1/20*10-6)
102.75 = p1/20*10-6
p1 = 102.75 * 20*10-6
p1 = 0.01 Pa

r1 = 84 ft
r2 = 118.7 ft

p∝1/r
p1 = k/r1
p2 = k/r2
p2 = p1 * r1/r2p2 = p1 * r1/r2
p2 = 0.01 Pa * 84/118.7 = 0.007 Pa

SPL2 = 20log(0.007/(20*10-6)) = 50.881 ≈ 51 dB

Rorshach said:
p1 = 0.01 Pa
Here you are down to only 1 sig fig.
By plugging in numbers straight away you run the risk of a lot of rounding error accumulation.
There are many advantages in keeping everything symbolic until the end.

r1 = 84ft
t2 = 0.105s
c = 1130f/s
r2 = ct2
p1/p2=r2/r1
SPL2=SPL1+20 log(p2/p1)
= SPL1+20 log(r1/(ct2))
= 55+20 log(84/(1130x0.105)) = 52

1. What is the purpose of calculating the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) in a concert hall?

The Sound Pressure Level (SPL) is a measure of the loudness of sound in a specific location. It is important to calculate the SPL in a concert hall to ensure that the sound is evenly distributed and not too loud or too soft for the audience.

2. How is the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) calculated in a concert hall?

The SPL in a concert hall is calculated by measuring the sound pressure at various locations in the hall using a sound level meter. The measurements are then averaged to determine the overall SPL in the hall. This calculation takes into account factors such as the distance from the source of sound and the acoustic properties of the hall.

3. Why is it important to consider the delay in a concert hall when calculating SPL?

The delay in a concert hall refers to the time it takes for sound to travel from the source to the listener. This delay can have a significant impact on the SPL, as sound waves can cancel each other out or reinforce each other depending on the timing. It is important to consider this delay when calculating SPL to ensure that the sound is evenly distributed throughout the hall.

4. How do Tympani play a role in calculating SPL in a concert hall?

Tympani, also known as timpani or kettle drums, are a type of percussion instrument commonly used in orchestras and concert halls. They can greatly affect the SPL in a concert hall due to their deep, low-frequency sound. When calculating SPL, the placement and number of tympani must be taken into consideration to ensure the overall sound is balanced and not too loud in certain areas of the hall.

5. What are some techniques used to optimize the SPL in a concert hall?

There are several techniques used to optimize the SPL in a concert hall, including strategic placement of speakers and adjusting the timing of sound waves using digital delay systems. Additionally, the design and materials of the hall itself can greatly impact the SPL and should be carefully considered during the construction process.