Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the mountain-climbing technique called the "Tyrolean traverse" which involves traversing a rope anchored on both ends across a deep chasm. It emphasizes the importance of understanding physics for safety, as the technique generates high forces. The recommended safety range for a climbing rope is 28 kN and a safety factor of 10 is usually used. The length of rope used in the Tyrolean traverse must allow for some sag to remain within the safety range. The conversation also presents a problem where a 75-kg climber at the center of a 25-m chasm must determine the minimum distance the rope should sag to be within the recommended safety range. The correct solution is 1.7
SMA83

Homework Statement

In a mountain-climbing technique called the "Tyrolean traverse," a rope is anchored on both ends (to rocks or strong trees) across a deep chasm, and then a climber traverses the rope while attached by a sling as in the figure (Intro 1 figure) . This technique generates tremendous forces in the rope and anchors, so a basic understanding of physics is crucial for safety. A typical climbing rope can undergo a tension force of perhaps 28 kN before breaking, and a "safety factor" of 10 is usually recommended. The length of rope used in the Tyrolean traverse must allow for some "sag" to remain in the recommended safety range.

Consider a 75-kg climber at the center of a Tyrolean traverse, spanning a 25-m chasm. To be within its recommended safety range, what minimum distance x must the rope sag?

I attatched the picture from masteringphysics.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum{F}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2800 (this is 28 kN/10 for the safety factor)
m=75 kg

[tex]\sum{F}=2Tsin\vartheta-mg=0[/tex]

[tex]\vartheta=sin^{-1}\frac{mg}{2T}=7.54 degrees[/tex]

[tex]cos\vartheta=\frac{x}{12.5}[/tex]

x=12.39 m

Obviously, this answer is too large, and I've verified that masteringphysics won't accept it, but I'm still pretty confused as to where I went wrong. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• GIANCOLI_ch12_p96.jpg
    GIANCOLI_ch12_p96.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,256
Physics news on Phys.org
x/12.5 is tan(theta), not cos (theta)

doh! I knew it would be something simple that was throwing me off. Well thanks for the help...I got 1.7 m now, and masteringphysics approves, so all is right with the world.

Related to Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem

1. What is the Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem?

The Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the tension in a rope or cable that is suspended between two points, while also taking into account the weight of the rope and any objects hanging from it. It is named after the Tyrolean traverse, a type of aerial rope walk used in mountaineering.

2. How do you solve the Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem?

To solve the problem, you must use the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on a stationary object must be equal to zero. This involves setting up and solving equations to find the unknown tension in the rope.

3. What information is needed to solve the Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem?

You will need to know the weight of the rope, the length of the rope, the distance between the two points, and the weight of any objects hanging from the rope. This information will be used to calculate the forces acting on the rope and ultimately find the tension.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving the Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the weight of the rope itself, which can significantly affect the tension. Another mistake is not considering the direction of the forces, as tension is a vector quantity and can vary depending on the orientation of the rope.

5. What real-world applications does the Tyrolean Traverse/Static Equilibrium Problem have?

This problem has numerous real-world applications, including in engineering, construction, and rock climbing. It can be used to determine the strength and stability of bridges, cranes, and other structures that use cables or ropes. In rock climbing, it is important for determining the tension in ropes and anchors to ensure safety while climbing.