U(2) charge commutator being zero

In summary: SU(2), all Noether charges commute with one of the charges, which is the identity. This is related to the properties of SU(2) because charges can be considered as generators of transformation. If the commutation of two charges is zero, it means that they do not mix under the given transformation. For U(2), the generators are the Pauli matrices and the algebra is given by [Q_{a}, Q_{b}] = i \epsilon_{4 a b c} Q_{c}. This can be written as a direct product of the two commuting groups SU(2) \times U(1), where the particles in an SU(2) multiplet have different SU(2) charges but the
kuecken
Hi,
For SU(2) I can have that all Noether charges commute with one of the charges as one of the generators of the Lie algebra is the identity.
Can somebody explain me how this is related to the properties of SU(2)?
Charges can be considered to be generators of the transformation. So if this commutation [Qi,Qj]=0 what does this mean?
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
and yet, I thought that you can show that in a given basis the generators of SU(2) were the Pauli matrices ... (?)

Likes kuecken
sorry i meant U(2) from the title!

kuecken said:
sorry i meant U(2) from the title!

The [itex]U(2)[/itex] algebra is given by [tex][Q_{a} , Q_{b}] = i \epsilon_{4 a b c} Q_{c}, \ \ (a,b,c) = 1, 2, \cdots , 4 .[/tex] If we call [itex]Q_{4} = B[/itex] and [itex]Q_{i} = T_{i}[/itex] for [itex]i = 1, 2, 3[/itex], then the above algebra is equivalent to [tex][T_{i} , T_{j}] = i \epsilon_{i j k} T_{k} , \ \ \ [T_{i} , B] = 0 .[/tex] Clearly, the [itex]T_{i}[/itex]’s generate the Lie algebra of [itex]SU(2)[/itex] which commutes with the Lie algebra of [itex]U(1)[/itex] generated by the [itex]B[/itex]. This simply means that we can write [itex]U(2)[/itex] as direct product of the two commuting groups [itex]SU(2) \times U(1)[/itex]. This, in turn, means that particles in an [itex]SU(2)[/itex] multiplet (say the fundamental representation [itex]( p , n )[/itex] ) mix under [itex]SU(2)[/itex] transformations but do not do so under the [itex]U(1)[/itex] transformations. In other words, [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] have different [itex]SU(2)[/itex] charges [itex]T_{i}[/itex](in particular [itex]T_{3}(p) + T_{3}(n) = 0[/itex]) but the same [itex]U(1)[/itex] charge, [itex]B(p) = B(n)[/itex]. If, [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex] represent the proton and neutron fields, then the [itex]U(1)[/itex] charge [itex]B[/itex] represents the Baryon (Fermion) number.

Sam

Likes kuecken

Related to U(2) charge commutator being zero

1. What does it mean for the U(2) charge commutator to be zero?

When the U(2) charge commutator is zero, it means that the operators for the charge and the U(2) transformation commute, or that they can be performed in any order without changing the outcome. This indicates that the system has a conserved charge associated with a symmetry described by the U(2) transformation.

2. How is the U(2) charge commutator calculated?

The U(2) charge commutator is calculated by taking the commutator of the charge operator and the U(2) transformation operator. This involves applying the charge operator to a state, then applying the U(2) transformation to the resulting state, and subtracting the result from the opposite order of operations. If the result is zero, then the commutator is zero and the U(2) charge commutator is satisfied.

3. What is the significance of a zero U(2) charge commutator?

A zero U(2) charge commutator is significant because it indicates the presence of a conserved charge and a symmetry described by the U(2) transformation. This can have important implications in understanding and predicting the behavior of a physical system, as well as in theoretical physics and the development of new models and theories.

4. Can the U(2) charge commutator ever be non-zero?

Yes, the U(2) charge commutator can be non-zero in certain cases. This would indicate that the system does not possess a conserved charge associated with the U(2) symmetry. In some systems, the U(2) symmetry may be broken, leading to a non-zero U(2) charge commutator.

5. How does the U(2) charge commutator relate to other commutators in physics?

The U(2) charge commutator is just one example of a commutator in physics. Commutators play an important role in quantum mechanics and are used to describe the relationships between different operators and physical quantities. In addition to the U(2) charge commutator, there are other commonly studied commutators such as the position-momentum commutator and the angular momentum commutator.