UC Santa Barbara's proposed "dormzilla"

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: I have not lived in Santa Barbara since 1968 but would prefer life in Isla Vista over a campus dormitory.In summary, an architect resigned because of the proposed dorm's lack of windows and high population density.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
  • Wow
Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
4500 is a lot of people for a dorm!

no windows makes it even worse

Just some random thoughts.

We have experiences of this kind of population density (an we know where it tends to converge) so as a social experiment, it's just moot.

A fire alarm there would be a nightmare.

Since it's a dorm, the expected amortization is high.
Within ten years it'll look so that you would want to burn it down.

Likes russ_watters
jtbell said:
almost no windows
I've seem images of windows on the peripheral rooms, so ostensibly, those willing to pay more will get windows. Personally, I'd find a different environment.

Astronuc said:
I've seem images of windows on the peripheral rooms, so ostensibly, those willing to pay more will get windows.
One of the linked articles says 94% of the residents will be windowless, so 6% = 270 will get windows. That would be equvalent to a large dorm at the small college where I went to school, and at the two where I've taught. Of course, Big State U's are a different world.

Ick. Why would anyone choose such a monstrosity? If built, my bet is that it will be torn down in ten years.

I think it's great for housing prospective submariners. Needs fewer windows and more bunks, though.

• Haha
Likes nsaspook, rsk, Klystron and 7 others
Bandersnatch said:
I think it's great for housing prospective submariners. Needs fewer windows and more bunks, though.
I was thinking prospective cube-workers. Or generational starship passengers.

Likes hutchphd
Given how pretty Santa Barbara is, a windowless dorm room would be a crime!

Likes gmax137, jim mcnamara and Astronuc
Maybe they're testing out designs for the next generation of prisons.

Ygggdrasil said:
Given how pretty Santa Barbara is, a windowless dorm room would be a crime!
But the weather is sooo great in California, surely everyone wants to be outdoors anyway. Except to sleep... but I hear a lot of people do sleep outdoors... :wink:

jtbell said:
but I hear a lot of people do sleep outdoors... :wink:

That's more an issue of housing prices than weather.

Just preparing students for the available future housing in California.o_O

Definition of troglodyte

1: a member of any of various peoples (as in antiquity) who lived or were reputed to live chiefly in caves

2: a person characterized by reclusive habits or outmoded or reactionary attitudes

(from: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/troglodyte)

No doubt a callous design. In some ways it reminds me of the idea for an "Earth'scraper" in Mexico City, where available plots of land are in short supply, which was floated a few years back.

1636127586262.png

• Wow
Likes berkeman
ergospherical said:
In some ways it reminds me of the idea for an "Earth'scraper" in Mexico City
Looks to me like an underground building (picture lacks legibility).

I see problems for this design:
Building underground is expensive.
I would bet there is a high water table in Mexico city (parts of it used to be a lake). Deeper parts would have to withstand a lot of water pressure.
Burials in some areas around New Orleans are above ground in cement coffins because a buried wood coffin can pop up out of saturated ground after being buried.

I have not lived in Santa Barbara since 1968 but would prefer life in Isla Vista over a campus dormitory.

1. What is "dormzilla" and why is UC Santa Barbara proposing it?

"Dormzilla" is a proposed new dormitory complex at UC Santa Barbara that would house over 4,500 students. The university is proposing it as a way to address the growing demand for on-campus housing and to provide more affordable housing options for students.

2. How will "dormzilla" impact the surrounding community?

The proposed "dormzilla" complex would be located on university-owned land and would not displace any existing housing. However, there may be concerns about increased traffic and noise in the area. The university has stated that they will work with the community to address any potential issues.

3. How will the construction of "dormzilla" be funded?

The construction of "dormzilla" would be funded through a combination of sources, including state funds, student housing fees, and potential partnerships with private developers. The university has also stated that they will explore sustainable and cost-effective building options to keep costs down.

4. Will "dormzilla" be environmentally friendly?

The university has stated that they are committed to sustainability and will work to ensure that "dormzilla" meets or exceeds LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards. This includes using energy-efficient materials and implementing sustainable practices in the construction and operation of the complex.

5. When is "dormzilla" expected to be completed?

The timeline for the construction of "dormzilla" is still being determined. The university is currently in the planning stages and will need to obtain necessary approvals before beginning construction. However, the university has stated that they hope to have "dormzilla" completed and ready for students within the next few years.

Back